YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new and want to teach...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

ckatgo
Posted 2006-01-07 5:43 PM (#40413)
Subject: new and want to teach...

I am kind of new to yoga, I was practicing for several years on my own, (I live in an area where good teachers are few and far between) and I am wanting to start my practice back up and in a year or so look into teacher training and I was wondering if any yoga teachers are on this board and if they could give me their opinion on the state of teaching yoga today? How did you get into teaching? and is there any "pit falls" and drawbacks, so to speak, that I should be aware of???

Thanks!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-01-09 1:11 PM (#40517 - in reply to #40413)
Subject: RE: new and want to teach...

i think it might be easier if you clarified a few things for us:

why do you want to teach?

what do you think of teaching yoga? what do you think the industry is like?

what are your expectations or thoughts on what a yoga teachers 'life' looks like or is like?

and then, we can talk about it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-09 2:55 PM (#40524 - in reply to #40413)

ckatgo: Thoughts for your thinking:

1. You wrote you are new and at the same time you have practiced for several years. Contradiction!

2. Do NOT depend only on Yoga Teaching for your entire living income.

3. Choose a good teacher, whom you like after attending at least 10 of that particular teacher's classes. And, then take a teacher training from that teacher.

4. If you are NOT rich, do NOT spend any of your savings to set up a studio.

That is more than enough.

Best Luck
ckatgo
Posted 2006-01-16 12:16 PM (#41058 - in reply to #40413)

I have only been practicing for a few years...I would say in the grand scheme of things that makes me pretty new. I want to share something with the world that I love. Thats why I want to teach. Do I have illusions of greatness and riches? NO. I do plan on keeping a part time job or even my current full time job. I simply want to share what I have come to love. And I am looking at a good way to go about it, and to get any information on the state of yoga teaching today, what are the drawbacks? what should a new teacher be aware of..

hope this clarifys some things..

metta,
kat

Posted 2006-01-16 1:50 PM (#41075 - in reply to #40413)

well, it certainly does clarify a few things.

since you simply want to share, this indictes that you don't necessarily need or want to get paid for what you do. this is a good opportunity then for you to simply volunteer to teach. i recommend that you consider teaching your friends or reach out to a part of the community that may not have access to yoga classes--like the local women's shelter. Offer your love and skills for free. This is a great way to just simply teach yoga and share what you know. It doesn't have any other requirements at all.

if this is the case, then you really don't need to know about the industry and all of that, because you're just offering your skills and talents in love. you don't need to know about money or even teacher training programs, because your'e just sharing what you love. All of that is a good thing, and it doesn't require anything more than offering yourself to others.
booga
Posted 2006-01-27 5:11 PM (#42115 - in reply to #40413)

If you've been studying Yoga - then you know the answers already to your questions.
booga
Posted 2006-01-27 5:14 PM (#42116 - in reply to #40524)

I don't feel that Neels advice is on the mark. There is no reason to not depend on yoga for your income. I had a studio for years, and it was something that could easily sustain one. I have reopened after a car accident, and I do not foresee this as being any different.

It is like any other career; you can do well, or not.

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-27 5:27 PM (#42123 - in reply to #40413)

booga:
That is not my advice. Those are thoughts for thinking. See my post again. Are you saying, you are advising him to start a studio without knowing the entire situation?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)