YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sleep and diet
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

hamsandwich
Posted 2008-04-04 5:08 PM (#105842)
Subject: sleep and diet

I'm a Bikram newbie, and I'm loving it. I, too, have felt tired after practicing, but I think that rather than look at my practice as a culprit, it's forced me to look at my lifestyle.

I've found that I can't eat junk and sleep 6 hours a night and expect to get through class, let alone my day.

It's been a recent realization because I was ready to blame the yoga for making me tired vs. really focusing on eating right and getting more sleep. Does anyone else agree, or am I out of my tree?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ram
Posted 2008-04-04 6:32 PM (#105845 - in reply to #105842)
Subject: RE: sleep and diet

It's amazing how doing something like yoga has the domino effect of looking after yourself. The motivation is obvious. When you find something your passionate about it becomes very motivating to change other aspects of your life. The great thing is you will start having more energy during the day and perhaps need less sleep. In the beginning it beats your body up a bit but then your body tries to adapt to the workload your putting on it.

One question though, have you given up the ham sanwhiches?

Edited by Ram 2008-04-04 6:34 PM
hamsandwich
Posted 2008-04-07 12:21 PM (#105954 - in reply to #105845)

Ah, i chose that because I always laugh during the hands-to-feet pose one of the instructors always says to get your body close to your legs, "like a japanese ham sandwich."

It truly is amazing. There are parts of my body that are sore that I didn't know were possible to stretch, and each day it's something new. It's progress, it's humbling, it's amazing.

Edited by hamsandwich 2008-04-07 12:45 PM
hamsandwich
Posted 2008-04-07 12:37 PM (#105956 - in reply to #105845)

I guess I've drank the kool-aid. Here are some things the practice has revealed to me. I'm sure this is not specific to Bikram, but as a new yogi, it's all revelatory to me.

I think it all has to do with being present.

1. Listening is key. If I really listen to the instructor and not anticipate or dwell on past postures I get more out of the class. Giving myself over to their guidance allows me to concentrate on each posture in succession.

2. Stay in the moment. I think this has to do with listening - if you're really in the moment, you're not looking ahead or backwards. Looking ahead shortchanges what I am doing in the present, and dwelling on the past gives past successes and failures more importance than they need to.

I really try to leave my work and my world at the door of the studio. If thoughts creep into my mind, I acknowledge them, send them back outside and deal with them later.

3. Work with the body you have today. What I did yesterday or even 2 postures ago has little bearing on what i'm doing now. It's important to move forward, keep trying and keep going. The instructors say this but I think each of us has to have one of those "ah-ha!" moments for it to sink in.

4. Let go of the ego. Sometimes I feel like it's my world and other people are allowed to live in it. It sounds egocentric, but why else do I get bothered when someone stands a little too close in the checkout line, talks too loud in the restaurant or drives too slow on the highway? Yoga has taught me that my annoyance at these occurrences is not their deal, but mine. i must admit I was moderately freaked out at the closeness of the mats my first class, or the fact that stepping in the puddles of sweat generated by others was a yoga hazard. I now realize that it's my deal and my reactions I have to contend with vs. wishing that others would change their behavior. This has extended beyond my practice into everyday life. I try to be more calm, respectful and accommodating. And like with the postures, I am not perfect, but each annoyance is an opportunity to practice. Kind of like falling out of a posture and getting back in.

I hope this all makes sense. I've changed the topic of the thread a bit, but it's all so wonderful I can't help but share.

Posted 2008-04-07 11:54 PM (#105992 - in reply to #105842)

I think you are right on track!! Bikram yoga definitely does force you to re-examine and change some of your bad habits. One example for me is that I gave up coffee - almost effortlessly!! - after having been more or less dependent on it since I was about 13! It was too much work to drink caffeine and stay hydrated, plus it made me jittery in class, so I just stopped drinking it and realized that I didn't need it in the first place! Stunning...
hamsandwich
Posted 2008-04-09 9:20 AM (#106030 - in reply to #105992)

You must be a mind reader. I've been trying to give up the caffeine but gave in this morning. I feel so much better when I don't drink it. I'm not sure if it's habit that I reach for the coffee, or mental in that I feel like I can't do without it.

That's my next chore...I really do drag in class when I have caffeine.

I'm on day 25 of a 30 day challenge and I've never felt better.

Edited by hamsandwich 2008-04-09 9:49 AM
Polly
Posted 2008-04-09 9:40 AM (#106032 - in reply to #105956)

hamsandwich - 2008-04-07 12:37 PM

1. Listening is key.
2. Stay in the moment.
3. Work with the body you have today.
4. Let go of the ego.

Thank you.

These simple thoughts are sometimes too easily forgotten. There are so many people in this world, it's overwhelming if you think about it too long. If you take care to make yourself happy and stress free, then what happens around you won't upset you. There are also so many factors contributing to our health that we cannot expect any class to be like the one before.

You have hit the nail on the head with this one, and if more people could live by these rules the world would be an even better place.

Edited by Polly 2008-04-09 9:41 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-09 1:03 PM (#106047 - in reply to #106030)

Expert Yogi

Don't worry about coffee, you won't need it if your're doing Bikram. In fact, if you keep drinking it, 1) it will really screw up your adrenals....2) you'll be buzzing so much that it will drive you insane with too much energy,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)