YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Compromising yoga.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

shnen
Posted 2006-02-06 11:49 AM (#42968)
Subject: Compromising yoga.

I was recently told by a fellow teacher that to really be successful at yoga you need to learn pilates and other 'western' techniques for exercise, simply because we live in a society that a) needs instant recognition of the exercise working for them and b) that the masses don't want the traditional yoga class where the 8 limbs (the basics) are introduced, whether through breath or simple meditation during the final relaxation or practising ahimsa.

I can surely see the benefits of knowing other systems and such - but has anyone ever felt a withdrawl to the meditative aspects and breathing techniques used in class? Have you ever had anyone resist wanting to do them?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-02-06 12:17 PM (#42972 - in reply to #42968)
Subject: RE: Compromising yoga.

I highly recommend learning other "fitness" modalities, it has enhanced my understanding of physiology and movement. Also it sometimes gives me tools for throwing a little "curve ball" to the class once in a while! And, for me, it is fun - I know this is not the case for many yoga teachers.

As far as feeling the class withdraw during meditation, depending on the atmosphere this can happen a lot. In gyms, I sometimes have people walk out during savasana, which IMHO means that they miss an important part of the class and is also disturbing to other students. And, once I had a guy laugh out loud when I explained the intent behind a certain mudra. I had said "This is meant to help connect your body and mind" and when I chatted with him after class he explained, "I thought, Oh great, now my MIND is gonna hurt too!"

Surprisingly, this never happens in the corporate setting where I currently hold a lot of classes. I thought people would be running off to meetings or other errands, but they LOVE their savasana and meditation. After a hard day at the office, I guess it is best!
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-06 1:00 PM (#42975 - in reply to #42968)

Location: Ontario eh? I was recently told by a fellow teacher that to really be successful at yoga you need to learn pilates and other 'western' techniques for exercise, simply because we live in a society that a) needs instant recognition of the exercise working for them and b) that the masses don't want the traditional yoga class where the 8 limbs (the basics) are introduced, whether through breath or simple meditation during the final relaxation or practising ahimsa.

===> This is an extremely ridiculous statement. It is like saying that there is a place where only whery loose (extra large) clothes are available. So, we should purchase these clothes and we should increase our weight and size so that we fit into these clothes. What we should do is: get other set of clothes which fit us!
===> By following the above statement, the fellow Yoga Teacher is suggesting that one should become a NonYoga student.

I can surely see the benefits of knowing other systems and such - but has anyone ever felt a withdrawl to the meditative aspects and breathing techniques used in class? Have you ever had anyone resist wanting to do them?
Ravi
Posted 2006-02-06 1:13 PM (#42976 - in reply to #42968)

Om Namah Sivaya
Shnen,

While it may be helpful to know or have an idea of other "techniques", I find it hard to swallow the fact that in order to be a "succesful" yoga teacher, one would need to learn anything else besides yoga.
I would say that in order to be a "successful" yoga instructor, one would need to eat, sleep, and breath yoga. To give an example: I live in Upstate NY in a fairly rural setting of 8,000 people in our community. Besides myself one other person teaches at the local YMCA. Her formal background is dancing, of which she is also a teacher at the local dance school. And I am sure she is a great dance teacher, but when it comes to her yoga class ( of which she is not certified) its just not there. I don't walk away with that loving feeling like I do when I attend different studios of which the instructors are also serious practitioners.
I, myself do try to read as much as I can in regards to strengthening my practice, I also try to go to different studios and work with diferent instructors to get a different prospectives and "fresh" views. I think to be fully successful in anything one needs to embrace and live that "thing" whether it's being a stockbroker, cowboy, ect... you get the picture
Being I teach a more traditional format I do get into lots and lots of chanting, meditation, and pranayama and noone has balked yet.
Anyhow there is my two cents, for what its worth.

May all your days be blessed,
Om Shanti,
Ravi
tourist
Posted 2006-02-06 8:09 PM (#43004 - in reply to #42968)

Expert Yogi

shnen - yes, I am sure it could be helpful, but so would spending that time learning more about yoga and practicing. I think the important thing here is to find yourself a supportive, like-minded environment where these issues can be discussed. Like here! I am constantly surprised at some of the questions that appear on this board from yoga teachers who seem to not have any peers or mentors to turn to for help. Then I count my blessings at being part of a very large and vibrant Iyengar community! I am a lucky yogi

Posted 2006-02-07 5:23 PM (#43108 - in reply to #42968)

i've never had an overt problem of loosing students because i teach yoga. i'm very clear that i teach yoga, that i don't know pilates or other modalities (even though i do a lot of other activities on my own), and that i teach yoga from a 'yoga perspective.' i teach what i call 'traditional yoga' and i'm happy to teach that.

i learn anatomy from the general perspective, and then apply it to yoga. i learn about biomechanics and apply that to yoga. I learn a number of historical and philosophical aspects of yoga and i bring that to class as well.

If a student isn't comfortable, then it is appropriate for them to find another teacher. I'm not the best teacher for everyone. And that's ok.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-08 7:40 AM (#43202 - in reply to #42968)

thank you for your responses... I want to teach a traditional style yoga, I want to try to keep it pure, just for different levels.

Many thanks again!
tourist
Posted 2006-02-08 10:41 AM (#43223 - in reply to #43202)

Expert Yogi

If you learn other thngs besides yoga, it will influence your practice and teaching, of course. And this applies to music, literature, cooking, knitting or whatever you learn. Your life follows you wherever you go whether or not you intend it But learning other "exercise" systems so you can teach differently or simply to cash in on the yoga hybrids doesn't sound like what you want to do, so don't
shnen
Posted 2006-02-08 5:46 PM (#43276 - in reply to #42968)

I don't want to cash in, I just want to teach and help others grow in their practise - not only with asanas, but with the other aspects as well.

You are right tho - it's can't hurt to learn - as long as i keep with my intentions and remember why I came down this path to begin with
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)