YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

nausea
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

danielle
Posted 2004-01-12 10:58 AM (#3151)
Subject: nausea

I love Bikram yoga, and would do it more often, however halfway through the class I get very nauseous to the point it affects how I practice. I don't eat at least two hours before and still get nauseous Any suggestions? I want to stick with it but need help!!! Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sandra
Posted 2004-01-14 10:00 AM (#3199 - in reply to #3151)
Subject: RE: nausea

Hi Danielle. I am fairly new to the practice of Bikram Yoga but am enjoying it thoroughly. I too experienced nauseau when I first started, to the extent once that I was lying down for what seemed like half the class. Determined not to be discouraged, I just decided to "give in" to the yoga and focussed on my breathing, tried to listen to the instructor and just let the poses happen. I found once I did this and stopped trying so hard (I can be a little competitive) the nausea just stopped. It was almost like my body was reacting to me forcing it to do something it wasn't ready for. Until this week, I was experiencing nausea only in camel pose, but last night - nothing. I am finding that as my practice continues, my focus is getting better and I am getting more and more from the poses. Good luck.
Posted 2004-01-14 12:20 PM (#3201 - in reply to #3199)

Thanks Sandra for your advice! I have heard the 3 rule...after three consectutive classes in a week your body has released most of it toxins with the yoga and the nausea gets better! I am going to try this...hopefully after the third class I feel better. I too have had to rest during the class from the nausea...hopefully the instructer realized I wasn't being lazy...I just didn't want to have to run out of the class !! Thanks

Posted 2004-01-16 5:01 PM (#3218 - in reply to #3151)

I've been a Bikram fanatic for 6 months now and have experienced the nausea too--normally in the floor postures. I found not eating LONG before a class or having an earloy morning class works best for me not getting nauseous.
me.
Posted 2004-01-19 11:43 AM (#3246 - in reply to #3151)

I haven't been doing yoga for that long, but I find that if I go longer than 3 days between classes my body starts to forget it's tolerance to the heat/also I start to revert to being less limber.

Try going as many times as you can in the beginning, your body will build up a tolerance, and "learn" or retrain itself to move the way it should. After a while you can start relaxing with teh amount of times you go a week (but you may find out that you might continue with the rigirous training).
catie
Posted 2004-01-19 3:21 PM (#3254 - in reply to #3151)

I found that I had to give myself more than 2 hours without food. Try 3 or 4 or stick to just fruit, which is easily digested. Your tolerance will build and you will learn what foods help or hinder you. Keep up the good work!
anon
Posted 2004-01-20 6:26 PM (#3270 - in reply to #3201)

I would be sensitive to the nausea. It is your body telling you to slow down. Be skeptical of the claim that our body is releasing "toxins"... which medically does not happen. I enjoy the practice of Bikram but do your best to understand physiologically what is happening. If you are nauseaus that is not a good thing.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-01-21 2:51 PM (#3280 - in reply to #3151)

I have been doing Bikram yoga now for about 3 months, usually 3 times a week at a studio. I got pretty nauseous the first time and still do a little bit occasionally. I would suggest drinking an electrolyte replacement drink during the class. I prefer Gookinaid to Gatorade because it is much less sweet. That will also help with any cramping you might experience. Breathing is also extremely important. Don't ever hold your breath unless it is at the instruction of the teacher and only as long as they say. It may take you a while to adjust to the heat but after time you should be able to overcome that feeling. Sometimes you just have to wait a few moments and the feeling passes. Don't give up!
traceu
Posted 2005-02-10 12:26 PM (#16535 - in reply to #3151)

I, too, recommend electrolyte replacement. Also look for "Emergen-C" packets to add to your water.

I've also found that chugging giant gulps of water at 'party time' tends to add to the nausea factor.
I used to sort of feel annoyed when an instructor would remind us to just sip the water; I'd think "I'm dyin' over hear!" ... but after some giant gulps followed by waves of uckiness ... okay, I'll surrender.

Tracey
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-10 9:35 PM (#16556 - in reply to #16535)

Expert Yogi

I too have been doing Bikram for almost 1 year now and now I am doing 3-4 times weekly. I discovered that I wasn't drinking enough water and I don't mean trying to drink it all at once before the class, it's learning to drink enough water all the time. You have to make a habit for yourself. At first, when I would try to drink alot before class, by the time I got to the floor postures after drinking these heavy amounts of water, I did this serious burping thing during full locust and then my head started hurting when I got to fixed firm. Soo, I drink water all the time as much as possible. I also live in the mountains where my water comes from the ground and let me tell you, it is a big difference than bottled water because my mountain well water actually has minerals in it which is also a factor. (I'm in the Nantahala National Forests). So you might want to consider adding the minerals to your diet because most bottled water unless specified and reverse osmosis doesn't have it. We loose our minerals when we sweat and heat up our bodies. The other thing I do is drink Jasmine Green Tea or Green Tea in general, Oolongs are okay, but not as effective. Green Tea cools the body down and it helps with headaches for us Pitta people and of course Pitta Conditions. As usual, staying away from hot and spicy foods is another factor along with learning about which foods are hot in nature as well. Drinking tea counts as water, but water with minerals is so much better when you are experiencing discomfort. Drink tea in moderate amounts like I only drink tea 2 times a day...and no tea after 4 pm. Doing Bikram Yoga does remove toxins from the body and the water is needed to flush out Ama and having excess Ama does cause all kinds of symptons including nausea, headaches, etc. Your body is also adjusting to this new alignment and the "sh*&t" has to come out and some of us our bodies are simply reacting to the change - some more extreme than others.

One more thing, I do not eat 3 hours before and I don't eat right afterwards (even though I'm usually starving and feel like I could eat one of those Buffalo burgers - NOT!!) Nothing afterwards including fruit. I wait at least 1 hour or more. On the days I do Bikram I also eat very lightly and on the days I don't I drink a protein powder shake called Spirutein by Natures Plus. My favorite is Vanilla because it is really so neutral in flavor, unlike the other flavors which are real strong - this helps with nausea believe it or not. You just mix it in the blender with Whole Milk and I use Lactaid because its easy to digest, just wish they made an organic one. It tastes like a yummy milk shake. This protein powder also has all the vitamins and minerals. It also has bee pollen and some other good stuff too and its organic with no GMO's. I mainly drink this drink for the protein and so I don't have to fill my stomach and digest a bunch of food while my body is going through its adjustment process, but I do eat something because it's not good to drink just protein...and you shouldn't drink it if your eating lots of meat or days you eat meat. You may not want to drink protein then eat a big meal vegetarian or not, it's too much to handle at once. The protein is good for after we have stretched all those muscles and helps repair them and makes us stronger for the next time:~) Well, here goes another chapter in my book. Anyone have any comments on Standing Seperate Leg Heag to Knee Posture and why my right hamstring hurts like &%$#, that they care to share??? I'm still waiting:~)
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-10 10:22 PM (#16568 - in reply to #16556)

Expert Yogi

People get nauseated (not nauseous, one hopes) owing to the high heat
of the Bikram studio. When do you get nauseated doing other physical
activies? -- I mean, think about it! Sure, if you guzzle a bunch of water and
then do 100 sit ups, you might be sick. In this case, the only thing that's
happening that is unusual is that you are in 105 degF heat while trying to
exercise. Would you go out running at noon on a hot day in July? No,
you'd be wasted from the heat, right? So why would anyone expect that
things would be a whole lot different when doing exercise in an overheated
room? It don't take rocket science to figure this out!!

miss dee
Posted 2005-02-11 9:21 AM (#16604 - in reply to #16568)

bay guy,

I have noticed this theme of anti- hot yoga through out your posts on this board.
one wonders; is your agenda here to put down hot yoga and discourage others from doing it or if your advice is coming from a place of helpfulness regarding hot yoga/bikram yoga and sincere concern for the students' desire to do it?

Dee
miss dee
Posted 2005-02-11 9:23 AM (#16605 - in reply to #3151)

in regard to this nausea issue:
this sounds to me like an acclimation issue (don't get discouraged. it's just a mater of time and classes) during this time- I agree the e'merg'en-c mix works miracles.

REMEMBER: do not put one little envelope of e'merg'en-c in a large bottle of water. this will over-dilute the mixture. you must use at least 3-4 packets per liter bottle. I recommend you mix one packet in a Styrofoam cup with 3-4 oz of water and 'shoot-it' tequila style! perks you right up!!

another tip I have: orange slices: slice a chilled orange into small pieces. take 5-6 pieces with you in a small baggie into the hot room. if you feel 'puny' these refreshing little vitamin-c treats will make you feel much much better.

I personally believe you need something in your tummy to do this yoga. 2 hours after eating yes... but not much more than that. an apple- a banana stashed in the car can be a life saver if you are doing 4-430 class (or later) and have not eaten since lunch.

remember if you get dizzy-SIT DOWN IMMEDIATELY.
that can be a sign you are about to faint. best to have a little water and wait till you feel better.

yes, it does take a little planning to have an enjoyable hot yoga/bikram yoga class. it is worth it! if you like it and really want to do the class then take care of your self and you will get better.

Dee
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-11 9:54 AM (#16608 - in reply to #16604)

Expert Yogi

miss dee - 2005-02-11 9:21 AM

bay guy,

I have noticed this theme of anti- hot yoga through out your posts on this board.
one wonders; is your agenda here to put down hot yoga and discourage others from doing it or if your advice is coming from a place of helpfulness regarding hot yoga/bikram yoga and sincere concern for the students' desire to do it?

Dee

Dee ---

I guess you'll have to read what I've posted and judge it for yourself. My "agenda",
if you'd like assign one to me, is to inform, where I have facts, and to give my own opinions.
If you don't like my opinions, fine, and if you disagree with my "facts", you may of course
post your own.

BTW, I've got roughly 700 Bikram classes behind me, so I do know a little bit about it....

By the way, what's *your* agenda?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-11 10:01 AM (#16609 - in reply to #16568)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2005-02-10 10:22 PM

People get nauseated (not nauseous, one hopes) owing to the high heat
of the Bikram studio. When do you get nauseated doing other physical
activies? -- I mean, think about it! Sure, if you guzzle a bunch of water and
then do 100 sit ups, you might be sick. In this case, the only thing that's
happening that is unusual is that you are in 105 degF heat while trying to
exercise. Would you go out running at noon on a hot day in July? No,
you'd be wasted from the heat, right? So why would anyone expect that
things would be a whole lot different when doing exercise in an overheated
room? It don't take rocket science to figure this out!!

Of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out!! It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the rest out either...such as.....anyone can adjust to extreme heat just like they can adjust to extreme cold - it takes time and is an adjustment to get used to.... and especially since your doing something healthy for yourself such as YOGA. There are some steps you have to take though and you have to learn about your body and the elements...things such as WATER (the fact that you don't drink enough), EARTH (minerals that are practically exinct fom our bodies and the earth that you don't get enough of), etc. Most people that come to Bikram are vitamin and mineral deficient, their bodies are out of shape, they don't eat the right foods and/or right food combinations. I suggest anyone having problems should seek and study Auryvedic or Traditional Chinese Medicine and learn what their own body's constitution is and work from that knowing. Also, I don't care what anyone says...especially in the beginning...eating at least 3 hrs before and 1 hour at least after is very important because your body is adjusting to the Asana's and then you want to make your body work harder to digest all that food you ate because you didn't have enough discipline to control the hunger pains....how do you ever expect to burn the ama and toxins if you can't do something simple. If you give your body what it needs during the other times of the day and on your days off, you won't have nausea and headaches...these are all Pitta related symptoms. Then you can start to enjoy the heat and taking the asana much deeper..and that is when the real fun starts. But first you have to balance your body. You also might want to consider doing Acupuncture too. I have a Traditional Chinese Doctor from China balance me with needles once a week. I have him stimulate my meridians and the areas that are giving me trouble. Doing the practice, the asana's work on certain organs and I use Acupuncture to help heal my body faster so I can take it deeper.

Lastly, Don't give up...lots of people criticize Bikram Choudhury for all kinds of reasons...jealousy, envy and basically because they don't have anything else better to do and it's easier to criticize than it is to PRAISE. Bikram has brought a good thing to the US and many people have benefited from it - don't forget that. He's a hard teacher but he's good and totally misunderstood. Not to mention his teacher was the brother of Paramahansa Yogananda:~)
yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-11 1:54 PM (#16630 - in reply to #3151)

I am afraid I have to disagree with you Cyndi. The body will not adapt to dehydration.

Here is what the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) has to say about the subject

Importance of Water
?? Constitutes approximately 60% of the adult human body by weight.
?? One can only survive a few days without adequate fluid balance.
?? Benefits:
• Endocrine-gland function improves
• Fluid retention is alleviated
• Liver function improves
?? Increases the % of fat used for energy purposes
• Natural thirst regulation returns
• Appetite decreases significantly
• Nutrients are distributed throughout the body efficiently
• Body temperature regulation improves
• Blood volume is maintained

Water and Performance
?? Body cannot adapt to dehydration.
?? A fluid loss of 2% (of body weight) will adversely affect circulatory function and decrease performance.
?? Effects of Dehydration
• Decreased blood volume
• Decreased performance
• Decreased blood pressure
• Decreased sweat rate
• Water retention
• Increased heart rate
• Sodium retention
• Decreased cardiac output
• Decreased blood flow to the skin
• Increased perceived exertion
• Increased use of muscle glycogen

Hyponatremia
?? Over-hydration can result in poor levels of sodium.
• Common in distance runners, cyclists, triathletes.
?? Recommendations
• Don’t drink more than you sweat.
• Favor common sports drinks that contain sodium.

Guidelines for Fluid Replacement in the Athlete
?? Consume 16 oz. of fluid two hours prior to exercise.
• An additional 8-16 oz. may be required if exercising in warm weather.
?? Drink 20-40 oz. of fluid for every hour of exercise.
?? Fluids should be cool due to rapid gastric emptying.
?? If exercise exceeds 60 minutes, use a sports drink (containing up to 8% carbohydrate) can replace fluid and muscle-glycogen stores.
?? If exercise is less than 60 minutes, water is the best choice for fluid replacement.
?? The goal is to replace sweat and urine losses.
?? Ingest 20 oz. of fluid for every pound of body weight lost after an exercise bout, especially if rapid re-hydration is necessary.

I think that you are right Bikram himself is a hard, great teacher with nearly 40 years of experience. It is his students that get criticized. For the most part, they lack the education in the body that Bikram and his wife has, they push people too hard without knowing where to stop pushing and they keep the rooms too hot.

You are also right to encourage determination. Danielle should not give up. Keep trying, keep HYDRATED and stand in the coolest part of the room. Eat good foods and get lots of sleep. If you are feeling nausea, you may be getting heat stroke. Do yourself a favor and CONSULT with your doctor! You may find however that your doctor may recommend not doing exercise in temps over your body heat.

Good luck danielle practice safely.
miss dee
Posted 2005-02-11 1:58 PM (#16632 - in reply to #16608)

BayGuy-

I never commented on your experience. I find your posts to be generally negative toward to practice of hot yoga. I wonder why? did you have a bad experience with bikram?

it's always about size with men...but since you brought it up:

700 classes is a nice start to a practice.
I've have practiced hot yoga for 6 years, I was certified by bikram in Los Angeles in 2000.
I have taught bikram yoga for 5 years. I probably have TAUGHT 700 classes just in the last 2 years- and practiced over half that many classes in the same time.

I have no agenda, just a strong intention to help those on the path.

Dee

p.s. do you still practice bikram?

Dee ---

I guess you'll have to read what I've posted and judge it for yourself. My "agenda",
if you'd like assign one to me, is to inform, where I have facts, and to give my own opinions.
If you don't like my opinions, fine, and if you disagree with my "facts", you may of course
post your own.

BTW, I've got roughly 700 Bikram classes behind me, so I do know a little bit about it....

By the way, what's *your* agenda?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-11 2:17 PM (#16634 - in reply to #16630)

Expert Yogi

yogabrian - 2005-02-11 1:54 PM I am afraid I have to disagree with you Cyndi. The body will not adapt to dehydration.

Cyndi responds....

Excuse me??? I didn't say anything like that. I said the body would adapt to heat and cold. Dehydration is a totally different matter and if you re-read my post I put a strong emphasis on WATER and MINERALS and about taking care of your body during the on and off times 3hrs before and 1 hour after. Of course the body cannot survive if it is dehydrated. The ideas that I shared were simply my experience and based on my own knowledge about the human body system. Every BODY is different and I suggested to the forum to find out your own body's constituion - that is probably the most important factor. Doing Yoga will also help you determine it for yourself because you learn about that connection - mind, body and spirit. The answers simply appear naturally. However, in the beginning it can be very beneficial to have a good doctor or someone that can monitor your body's progress depending on your condition or level of understanding. I happen to use the ancient methods of healing because I am fortunate enough to have that available to me and I have studied and practiced these methods for several years - at least 20. Thanks, I just wanted to clarify that:~)

Edited by Cyndi 2005-02-11 2:46 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-11 2:32 PM (#16636 - in reply to #16632)

Expert Yogi

Knowing that you are employed in Bikram yoga helps me understand your
perspective. Thank you.

Still, you continue to imply that my comments are based only on some hidden
agenda, and, other than such personal attacks, you are not addressing
anything of substance. As I said before, if you have other opinions or facts,
you may certainly post them. I am not going to continue this kind of "debate"
with you.

Have a nice day!

Bay Guy
miss dee
Posted 2005-02-11 2:53 PM (#16638 - in reply to #16636)

Oh BayGuy,

Relax, and take another look. I DID post my opinions. and quite clearly.

and for the record:
I am NOT part of the franchise- and refuse to be. (pre-franchise certification) AND I do not buy into the re-certification scam. you might check my website before you start judging and look a little deeper my friend.

no I don't think you are part of an evil agenda. and this is not a debate. I simply find it odd that you are so discouraging about hot yoga. what gives? DO you still practice in a hot room?

Dee
i
MrD
Posted 2005-02-11 5:50 PM (#16648 - in reply to #16609)

Cyndi - 2005-02-11 10:01 AM

Lastly, Don't give up...lots of people criticize Bikram Choudhury for all kinds of reasons...jealousy, envy and basically because they don't have anything else better to do and it's easier to criticize than it is to PRAISE. Bikram has brought a good thing to the US and many people have benefited from it - don't forget that. He's a hard teacher but he's good and totally misunderstood. Not to mention his teacher was the brother of Paramahansa Yogananda:~)

Hey, if I were driving rolls royces and living the highlife, I think I could afford be a little misunderstood.
yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-11 6:31 PM (#16652 - in reply to #3151)

I am sorry if I misunderstood your comments. But it seems that to hint that the body can adapt to high heat would indicate to me that it can adapt to the dehydration that goes along with it. I am not discounting you experiences, but simply trying to provide black and white information that this person can use and practice with safely.

At some point all of our bodies are the same and will react to heat in the same way, dehydration. Practicing in such an extreme environment is simply dangerous. It can lead to dehydration, Heat stroke, heat exhaustion and in the most extreme cases I have heard of death. So, I feel ethically bound as a Yoga instructor to provide information to people that are feeling the beginning stages of dehydration, Heat stroke, heat exhaustion that they maybe in danger.

Please note that I am NOT saying you will die if you do Bikram. In both cases of death that I know about temperatures in the room were beyond even what Bikram advises and both people had preexisting heart conditions. But still, yoga should be healing not harming.

There is lots of scientific information well documented against exercising in high temperature. However to this date I personally have never seen any in favor of it. I would be VERY interested in the studies that Bikram claimed to have had done in Japan. But also to this date I have never been able to find any additional info on it other than Bikram's word.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-11 7:08 PM (#16657 - in reply to #16648)

Expert Yogi

Hey, if I were driving rolls royces and living the highlife, I think I could afford be a little misunderstood.

What's wrong with having an abundance of prosperity?????  Like its really not our place to judge this and besides...its a personal thing between Bikram and his wife Rajashree.  They will have to be responsible for their wealth..not me or you.  It's kind of funny that Bikram does however live up to his name which means "Fame" and his wife's name means "Very Lucky".  Looks to me like Laxmi has blessed them well:~)

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-11 10:43 PM (#16670 - in reply to #16652)

Expert Yogi

Sooo, Yoga Brian, you should be directing this info to the studios that are NOT doing Bikram correctly.  I cannot relate to that since my teacher is one of the ancient ones and teaches other styles of yoga in her studio...but I can say that we don't go much higher than 100 degrees and maybe it goes to 102 in the summer..maybe.

I do however feel that if you do Bikram CORRECTLY, your body can adjust to heat...IF you do some very important things first..like drink water correctly and give your body the nutrition and environment it needs.  I love to feel the heat now and I don't like being cold when I do the asana's - even at home.  I feel better when I am warm and I understand the concept of the heat and why it needs to be this way. 

Seriously, everyone should read Bikram's book and have some basic training before starting the Bikram series.  I went to an all day workshop before I started this practice and learned it well before I took the dive into it.  I hated this type of yoga and cursed Bikram every time I did this practice and sometimes I still do when I'm doing my dreaded pose Standing Seperate Leg Head to Knee:~

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-11 10:50 PM (#16672 - in reply to #16630)

Expert Yogi

yogabrian - 2005-02-11 1:54 PM

I am afraid I have to disagree with you Cyndi. The body will not adapt to dehydration.

Here is what the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) has to say about the subject

Importance of Water
?? Constitutes approximately 60% of the adult human body by weight.
?? One can only survive a few days without adequate fluid balance.
?? Benefits:
• Endocrine-gland function improves
• Fluid retention is alleviated
• Liver function improves
?? Increases the % of fat used for energy purposes
• Natural thirst regulation returns
• Appetite decreases significantly
• Nutrients are distributed throughout the body efficiently
• Body temperature regulation improves
• Blood volume is maintained

Water and Performance
?? Body cannot adapt to dehydration.
?? A fluid loss of 2% (of body weight) will adversely affect circulatory function and decrease performance.
?? Effects of Dehydration
• Decreased blood volume
• Decreased performance
• Decreased blood pressure
• Decreased sweat rate
• Water retention
• Increased heart rate
• Sodium retention
• Decreased cardiac output
• Decreased blood flow to the skin
• Increased perceived exertion
• Increased use of muscle glycogen

Hyponatremia
?? Over-hydration can result in poor levels of sodium.
• Common in distance runners, cyclists, triathletes.
?? Recommendations
• Don’t drink more than you sweat.
• Favor common sports drinks that contain sodium.

Guidelines for Fluid Replacement in the Athlete
?? Consume 16 oz. of fluid two hours prior to exercise.
• An additional 8-16 oz. may be required if exercising in warm weather.
?? Drink 20-40 oz. of fluid for every hour of exercise.
?? Fluids should be cool due to rapid gastric emptying.
?? If exercise exceeds 60 minutes, use a sports drink (containing up to 8% carbohydrate) can replace fluid and muscle-glycogen stores.
?? If exercise is less than 60 minutes, water is the best choice for fluid replacement.
?? The goal is to replace sweat and urine losses.
?? Ingest 20 oz. of fluid for every pound of body weight lost after an exercise bout, especially if rapid re-hydration is necessary.

I think that you are right Bikram himself is a hard, great teacher with nearly 40 years of experience. It is his students that get criticized. For the most part, they lack the education in the body that Bikram and his wife has, they push people too hard without knowing where to stop pushing and they keep the rooms too hot.

Hey Brian -- thanks for posting the info on hydration --- Bay Guy
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)