YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much water?
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-21 10:18 AM (#47276)
Subject: How much water?

how much water should I consume before during and after Bikram Yoga if I'm 6'3" 225 lbs?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-21 12:48 PM (#47305 - in reply to #47276)
Subject: RE: How much water?

Expert Yogi

Peter,

Don't drink too much or you might drown yourself, I drink plenty of water way before, small amounts during and after. I made a habit for myself. The point is to hydrate yourself in a balanced way. Don't overindulge in water all at once, it's very bad for your bladder and kidneys, it puts a strain on them. Same principal applies about food. Try to balance your water intake througout your day long before your practice, and then drink moderate amounts afterwards. Don't make the mistake of sipping water all the time, it's not healthy...contrary to what people say. You should drink a full glass when you are thirsty, at one time and be done with it. Do this a few times a day and that's all you need. During Bikram, taking sips is okay because of the heat, but don't overdo it...your kidneys and bladder function will thank you for it.
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-21 1:17 PM (#47309 - in reply to #47305)

I'm kind of a digital person. I like numbers (ounces, liters, etc. ) ;)
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-21 1:25 PM (#47311 - in reply to #47309)

Expert Yogi

Well, guess you better do some math huh??
tszpara
Posted 2006-07-01 9:46 PM (#57324 - in reply to #47276)

1/2 your bodyweight in ounces.
225/2 = 112
So 112 ounces per day.

More if you drink soda, coffee or alcohol.

watercure2.org has info also.
pooja32
Posted 2006-07-01 10:18 PM (#57326 - in reply to #47311)

Cyndi,
I am sure you meant well, but
drinking a lot of water cannot harm a healthy person. Well technically it is possible, but the amounts that a healthy person would need to actually harm their kidneys is not something a reasonable person would drink. You might need to pee all the time if you overhydrate yourself but that's about it.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-02 9:38 AM (#57338 - in reply to #57326)

Expert Yogi

Actually Pooja,

Drinking too water can harm your body. It's not recommended that you go around sipping on water jugs all the time. I've heard this from several Swami's and my own Chinese Medical Doctor's.

According to TCM theory, drinking too much water is very bad for your bladder and kidneys...it overworks the kidney function and can cause kidney problems. If you think "peeing" all the time is healthy, perhaps you should go study Ayurvedic, Traditional Chinese and other Traditional Medicine's, they all agree with this.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-07-02 10:08 AM (#57345 - in reply to #47276)

While it is true that people can stress out their kidney's and bladder by drinking too much, most people in western society spend a lot of time dehydrated. They really don't know when their thirsty, and often times when they do figure it out, their body has been in a bad way for a while.
pooja32
Posted 2006-07-02 10:10 AM (#57346 - in reply to #57338)

Cyndi,
I am a physician(MD) and have studied physiology for several years(too long...ugh!). Somebody with poor kidney function needs to regulate how much water they drink. Somebody who is healthy is not going to be able to drown their kidneys by "sipping"; if they sat around drinking buckets of water all day long that would be different issue altogether.
For tome constraints, I am not going into the mechanics, but I can send you references to look up if you are interested.
Otherwise, let's agree to disagree!
Cheers
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-02 10:53 AM (#57348 - in reply to #57346)

Expert Yogi

Pooja, NO I absolutely do not agree. I used to do your western medicine and it left my kidneys and bladder almost DEAD. Thanks but no thanks.

For anyone who is interested, you should drink water when you are thirsty and when your body needs it, not sipping all day long...even for a healthy body. You can turn a healthy body into a non-healthy body very quickly with bad habits.
pooja32
Posted 2006-07-02 11:34 AM (#57354 - in reply to #57348)

Cyndi - 2006-07-02 10:53 AM

Pooja, NO I absolutely do not agree. I used to do your western medicine and it left my kidneys and bladder almost DEAD. Thanks but no thanks.

My Western medicine? This is the first time I've been called that, I guess the net will do it.
I am very Eastern by birth and upbringing. I am Indian, was born in Calcutta and lived in India most of my life until recently .
I just happen to live in Connecticut now!
Anyway, I respect your opinions and you are free to do whatever you may see fit!
Nick
Posted 2006-07-02 11:44 AM (#57356 - in reply to #57354)

Hi all,
As i understand it, the human thirst mechanism is poorly designed, and merely drinking water when you are thirsty is a good way of becoming dehydrated-so I believe that Pooja is spot on. I have heard of people dying from excessive water consumtion under the influence of ecstacy, but for the rest of us, over-drinking would be almost impossible, unless someone actually stuck a tube down your throat.
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-07-02 12:12 PM (#57361 - in reply to #57356)

Expert Yogi

This is a one of those unresolvable issues, IMHO. We know medical professionals who will argue this point to death just for the fun of it - people who also do the types of activities that call for lots of water. They can each argue the other side just as well as their own side. People DO die at events like marathons from over-flooding the body with water and people DO die from dehydration. The kind of people who do things like marathons tend to be a titch obsessive and are very capable of overdoing a good thing.

Cyndi - we were at a dance last night and it is pretty hot (for here). I was mentally moaning about why on earth the hosts didn't put ice out to go with our water and juice then remembered they are Chinese. If I had complained, I am guessing I would have been told it wasn't good for me to drink a bunch of ice cold water!
Nick
Posted 2006-07-02 12:38 PM (#57364 - in reply to #57361)

Hi Glenda,
This is true-but in one study on the effects of over-hydration on marathon runners, one guy estimated he had drunk 13 litres of water during the race-five times the recommended amount. Clearly insane! I believe part of the problem is from not replenishing the electrolytes, so that water consumed is not used by the cells. A good argument for electrolyte drinks.
As a general guide, I would think that it is good to replenish with water throughout the day, and not just during the yoga class. Also, try not to wait until you are thirsty to drink, I believe that we can reset our thirst mechanism by constantly allowing ourselves to become thirsty before we drink.
I would think that a sensible option is to take a small bottle of water to class with you, and aim to drink it by the end of class. Earn yourself a telling off if there is still water in it by the end of class. Assuming that there is an exercise benefit from practicing yoga, then it must be that our demands for fluids are increased by our practice, and we should meet those increased demands-otherwise, it is a little like trying to exercise without consuming sufficient nutrients to help the body to re-build in the rest period-very bad!
Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-02 1:17 PM (#57366 - in reply to #57364)

Expert Yogi

"Eat when hungry, drink when thirsty." ~~Zen Maxim~~

Having that said....

The most important principal regarding ones own personal water consumption is listening to the wisdom of one's own body, and drinking according to thirst. Of course, now days we are being robbed of that inner knowing by having being bombarded and blasted with so many external ideas, therefore, causing one to be totally confused as to what is right and/or wrong.

If large amounts of water are consumed for reasons such as hard work or internal heat, it is best done at least 30 mins. before or 1 hour after meals. The digestive enzymes and secretions are diluted, and food nutrients are not effectively extracted. When water is taken with meals, it is best to take only a few ounces and warm, better in the form of a soup or herbal tea at the end of a meal.

Water intake per the individual varies widely, and a person's requirements change on a daily basis. Thirst is the most important indicator of need, although, not everybody is in touch with that knowing. Just as our natural instinct to breathe deeply can be blunted by polluted air, same principal applies to water, due to its impure nature (and we all know about that don't we Mr. Thornly). This is usually not a conscious choice. When good water is available, the natural instinct to drink it must often be relearned. Most though certainly not all people should increase their fluid intake, but to recommend a healthful amount for everyone is possible.

The bulk of water intake for primarily vegetarian people can be obtained from food. Vegetables and fruit are often more than 90% water, and most other vegetarian foods, such as grains and legumes, are more than 80% water when cooked. Soups, broths and teas are nearly all water.

Too much water from any source can cause sensations of coldness, weaken the digestion system, and weaken the energy of the whole body. (Which is definitely NOT a good idea if you are practicing Bikram/Hot Yoga).....but, then again....read on. This view is supported by Chinese healing traditions, which also state that an excess of water depletes the "digestive fire" of the spleen-pancreas and hinders the kidney-adrenals' ability to provide warmth and energy (yang qi). This applies especially to cold water or foods. When too much of these are taken, one tends to be attracted to animal products in an attempt for balance, rather than the fruits and vegetables.

Insufficient water consumption causes toxicity of the body as well as constipation, tension, tightness, overeating, dryness, and kidney damage. Heat symptoms such as inflammations, fevers, and feeling too warm can also occur.

Those who are on a rich meat diet usually have insufficient body fluids, it is also common amongh vegetarians who eat large quantitites of salty food, little or no soup or tea, and food such as grains cooked in minimal amounts of water.

Here are some key factors that influence personal water needs. FYI, this is very simple stuff here and is a no brainer.

Water requirements are lessened by:

Sedentary lifestyle
Consumption of fruit, veggies and sprouted foods
Cold, deficient conditions
Cold or damp climates

Water requirements are increased by:

Physical activity
Consumption of more meat, eggs or salty foods
Fever, heat, or excess conditions
Dry, hot, or windy conditions

Major properties of water: relaxing, moistening, soothing, cooling, and dispersing

The above factors and properties as well as following signs of EXCESS or insufficient water consumption can help guide water intake and stimulate revitalization of one's instincts.

BALANCE IS EVERYTHING and is my whole point. That is something that is not taught these days...in fact, it is taken for granted. Western MD's do not know how to discuss nutrition and balance with their patients because they would loose money and they think it is too trivial and not important......but then again, it's always the simple things that get un-noticed in this life...and simple is the cure and a man's best friend,
pooja32
Posted 2006-07-02 2:09 PM (#57373 - in reply to #47276)

Where is the hug man when you need him?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-02 2:46 PM (#57378 - in reply to #57373)

Expert Yogi

What's the matter Pooja...can't handle all this too much information....I know, they don't right this stuff in the medical books,
Nick
Posted 2006-07-02 2:54 PM (#57379 - in reply to #57378)

Hi cyndi,
Not to much information for me-but when the information is imparted with the level of arrogance that you can muster, it makes me want to gag
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-02 2:58 PM (#57381 - in reply to #57379)

Expert Yogi

Arrogance?? Hmmm. Looks like a self imposed judgement, on your part to me. Besides, I can't see anything arrogant about my post...just providing information like you do Mr. Nick.
Nick
Posted 2006-07-02 3:08 PM (#57383 - in reply to #57381)

Hi cyndi,
Yes, but so is pooja-and she is qualified, both by years of research, by her personal interst, and by having passed exams that are designed to ensure that she does no harm to her patients-you are not qualified, and some of the suggestions you make are dangerous to the people that may read these posts and believe in you. Therefore you are irresponsible.
Nick
pooja32
Posted 2006-07-02 3:36 PM (#57386 - in reply to #57378)

Cyndi - 2006-07-02 2:46 PM

What's the matter Pooja...can't handle all this too much information....I know, they don't right this stuff in the medical books,

Wow Cyndi! The only reason I didn't respond to your post was I was trying not to get drawn into a juvenile argument.

I didn't ask for a hug because I can't handle half a page of information. I asked for it to put an end to an exceedingly silly discussion about "water" on a Yoga forum.

Here's the sum of what everyone has been saying about water on this discussion: Use common sense, don't dehdrate yourself, don't drown yourself! As for your undertanding about the thirst mechanism, well... nick has already addressed that!

Your statement about the need for doctors to address nutrition, point well taken. However since you are concerned, we do refer patients to nutrionists when the situation demands. Nutritionists spend years studying just that...nutrition and are better equipped than us. For day to day routine situations, we do address nutrition superficially, maybe not as much as we should.

Agree with need to maintain balance.

As for your statement about doctors not wanting patients to get better, so we can make money....all I can say is... I wish I could have less patients so I could have more time to do Yoga or whatever else.

As for your statement about that stuff not being in books....Cyndi ...you are sooo funnyyyy! Several parts of that looooong post and "information" is copy and paste from other websites. The language does not follow your regular sentence construction.

Anyway, none of this was meant to be offensive or personal. I am actually amused that you manage to draw me into an argument when I was determined not to get into one with you.
I guess I need to go meditate on that one!

pooja32
Posted 2006-07-02 3:37 PM (#57388 - in reply to #57383)

Thanks for your support Nick!
pooja32
Posted 2006-07-02 4:04 PM (#57394 - in reply to #47276)

Cyndi,
Also digressing from the water discussion for a moment to talk about"Western Medicine" vs "Eastern Philosophy"...not everything about Western medicine is bad, but if you choose to turn to "Eastern Philosophy", you are very welcome into our culture. However, please be careful, not everything coming from India or the East in general is 100% truth, and you need to be discerning to be able to distinguish and propogate " eastern wisdom" from stuff that's uh...not so wise!
tourist
Posted 2006-07-02 6:07 PM (#57416 - in reply to #57364)

Expert Yogi

Nick your example of the guy drinking so much is a perfect example of my observation that those type of athletes are obsessive, isn't it? We know a guy who was so sure all he needed was to do more situps and crunches and he would be happy. He crunched his way into over tightening his diapragm to a point where he was having trouble breathing They are crazy!

I have been hearing gatorade et al being slagged lately "they have so much salt and sugar!" Well, duh..... I have even seen an ad for a "low carb" energy drink. I can't believe it...

I take water to class to drink when I am teaching. When I am a student, I make sure to drink well before and after - not during.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-02 6:08 PM (#57417 - in reply to #57383)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2006-07-02 3:08 PM

Hi cyndi,
Yes, but so is pooja-and she is qualified, both by years of research, by her personal interst, and by having passed exams that are designed to ensure that she does no harm to her patients-you are not qualified, and some of the suggestions you make are dangerous to the people that may read these posts and believe in you. Therefore you are irresponsible.
Nick

Excuse me??? Dangerous you say. Just because someone has years of research within the medical field, does not prove a darn thing. Besides, just because I don't have Phd attached to my title doesn't mean that I don't have extensive knowledge about Western and Eastern Medicines. Don't forget, I am a westerner, I grew up with it, saw the damage that it was causing and still causing people today. My experience with Traditional Medicine comes from lots of research, self study and most importantly - the teachers that I have had and still have today that have taken the time to train me in a traditional manner - which is a hell of alot more than what you get in medical school!!! The only reason I don't put TCMD to the outside of my name is because that is not my purpose in life at this time, however, I do put it in my practice every day in my life, my family and the people who do ask. If I want to share with people on a forum, that is also my right to do so, just like you do. There is nothing dangerous about my telling someone about what happens when you drink too much water...if anything, it is dangerous for you to prescribe what you did and tell someone that to drown in water is not going to affect them. But, your just a chiropractor though, right??

As for my copying and pasting internet sites...WRONG. I pulled that information from 4 different reference sources and I put it together along with my words and the verbage I obtained, along with the original sources of where I got the information and from my own knowledge as well. I have nothing to gain or loose here, I really don't care. I think whoever reads this post can decide for themselves, especially when they start having problems with their kidneys and are wondering why they are wiped out from doing Bikram drinking excessive amounts of water or not enough though.

Don't get me started about Indian MD's who practice here in America. I had a little taste of that last weekend with one who was "trying" to treat my Father in the ER. It was disgusting to say the least. Pooja, for what its worth, my husband is Indian/Nepali...so, therefore, I have lots of background where your culture is concerned. As for your comments about Western vs. Eastern philosophies....I will take TCM over Ayurvedic and Western medicine any day. But, it's nice when you can have a clear understanding of ALL the medicines to be able to make a good judgement call when it comes to your health. Unfortunately, the Indian doctors here in the west do not care about what is right, they only do what their stupid AMA tells them to do and because they are here to make money and for status back in their country. Medical doctors are not allowed to make intuitive judgements when it comes to their patients, nor are they well versed in the human body as system....its all about taking pills and you know it is. In fact, they don't even touch the surface when it comes to health...not even close to the core of health.

Anyway, I am done with this conversation. For the readers who are interested in an alternative approach to your health, be warned and advised, there is more to this than what your average doctor will tell you because they really don't know. Some of the old ancient methods of healing is still being used today very successfully and unfortunately, under the radar to get away from the creepy people who try to control how medicine should be applied. Have a good day.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)