YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Borat
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

jonnie
Posted 2006-10-31 9:20 AM (#68577)
Subject: Borat

It’s only two more days until the incredibly funny Borat (aka Ali G, aka Sacha Baron Cohen) releases his new movie – ‘Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan’.

http://www.borat.tv/#

Unfortunately, I have to wait another month until it opens in Dubai but I’d be really interested in what the American forum members think of him?

The clips I've seen so far made me laugh so much my sides hurt.

Jonathon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2006-10-31 9:35 AM (#68582 - in reply to #68577)
Subject: RE: Borat

He's been heavily promoting the movie on TV in Britain this last couple of weeks. I think I like his persona of Borat better than Ali G. His interview with Jonathan Ross was very naughty.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-10-31 9:36 AM
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-10-31 1:44 PM (#68613 - in reply to #68577)

LOVE Sasha Baron Cohen!!! Although I don't really understand what Ali G. is supposed to be, his interviews are hilarious. Booyah!

samantha77
Posted 2006-10-31 7:16 PM (#68631 - in reply to #68577)

Extreme Veteran

I can't wait to see this movie!  My fiance will be happy that he doesn't have to drag me out to the movies like he usually does

Samantha

joscmt
Posted 2006-11-01 10:13 AM (#68665 - in reply to #68577)

I think I'm the only person at this moment who doesn't like this guy? There's just something about him that drives me nuts- I think he's pretty offensive. And I like most comedy... weird, no?
Orbilia
Posted 2006-11-01 10:58 AM (#68671 - in reply to #68665)

Strange how that works sometimes. I've never been able to stand the comedy personna, Frank Spencer - makes my teeth itch!

Fee
jonnie
Posted 2006-11-01 2:05 PM (#68685 - in reply to #68577)

ooooooooooh betty!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-11-01 2:37 PM (#68692 - in reply to #68665)

joscmt - 2006-11-01 10:13 AM

I think I'm the only person at this moment who doesn't like this guy? There's just something about him that drives me nuts- I think he's pretty offensive. And I like most comedy... weird, no?

No, I'm pretty unimpressed. Essentially he's doing "Foreign Guy", see Balky, or Andy Kaufman's Latka from Taxi. So, it's not very original, and it's been done much better by other people. In the case of Balky and Latka they were charming, and endearing with their attempts to understand another culture. This guy uses it as excuse to be rude and offensive to other people, usually in a racist or lewd manner.

I looked him up on wiki, and he's so bad the government of Khazakstan(sp?) has locked down his website to prevent people from getting the idea that everybody is Khazakstan is a bunch of rude, lewd, backward people with strong anti-semetic feelings.

I also saw the clip on his website. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting from the wiki article, but I was really impressed either.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-11-01 3:06 PM (#68703 - in reply to #68665)

Not weird, I agree with GreenJello's analysis.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-11-01 3:06 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-11-01 4:21 PM (#68715 - in reply to #68703)

SCThornley - 2006-11-01 3:06 PM

Not weird, I agree with GreenJello's analysis.

Woot! Great minds, etc.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-11-01 5:08 PM (#68724 - in reply to #68577)

What's not funny about "Throw the Jews Down the Well"? Oh boy, I can see this post taken totally out of context. On the other hand, I find no humor when practitioners of a certain faith scream "Death to Israel!"

Sasha probably should have made up a fake Blah-de-blah-istan to avoid nasty international relations. It's funnier that the Kazakahs are so outraged. Where's the outrage when a suicide bomber let's one go? Ok, ok, let's not get so political, fifi.

It's funny to watch people react in an uncomfortable situation. There was one Ali G interview where Ali asked a Catholic priest if he thought Mary and Jesus were upset for having to sleep in a barn since all the hotels were full due to Christmas. Am I the only one laughing?

Fiona, I like your swimming fishie

Yo, respect!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-11-01 10:07 PM (#68737 - in reply to #68724)

*Fifi* - 2006-11-01 5:08 PM

What's not funny about "Throw the Jews Down the Well"? Oh boy, I can see this post taken totally out of context. On the other hand, I find no humor when practitioners of a certain faith scream "Death to Israel!"

(shrug) Don't know, just don't find him funny. Even the non-offensive parts just aren't that funny, partially because I've seen this act a number of times. I pretty much know what's coming next.
jonnie
Posted 2006-11-01 10:49 PM (#68745 - in reply to #68577)

He is actually Jewish
Nick
Posted 2006-11-02 2:19 AM (#68749 - in reply to #68745)

Hi all,
All is not well in Kazakh:

"But, democracy has not improved much since 1991. An article from World War 3 web site says "In July 2000, Kazakhstan's parliament passed a law granting President Nursultan Nazarbayev lifetime powers and privileges, including access to future presidents, immunity from criminal prosecution, and influence over domestic and foreign policy. Critics say he has become a de facto "president for life." (Central Asia-Caucasus Institute briefing, July 5, 2000, [3]). Over the course of his ten years in power, Nazarbayev has repeatedly censored the press through arbitrary use of "slander" laws (RFE Newsline, April 12, 1996), blocked access to opposition web sites (Nov. 9, 1999), banned the Wahhabi religious sect (Sept. 5, 199, drawn criticism from Amnesty International for excessive executions following specious trials (March 21, 1996) and harsh prison conditions (Aug. 13, 1996), and refused demands that the governors of Kazakhstan's 14 oblasts be elected, rather than appointed by the president (April 7, 2000)."

Hopefully, Borat will draw the world's attention to the plight of it's people under this dictator-but unfortunately, it produces oil, which should be enough to make the rest of the world support Nazarbayev-oil runs thicker than blood-old kazakh saying-actually I just made it up, but you know what I mean

What I would really like to see is Borat or Ali G do an interview with Bikram-what a contest that would be! Sacha Cohen is a friend of a friend, I'll tell them to suggest the idea to him-that would be the funniest interview ever!

Nick

Edited by Nick 2006-11-02 2:33 AM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-11-02 9:01 AM (#68766 - in reply to #68745)

jonnie - 2006-11-01 10:49 PM

He is actually Jewish

So was Hitler.
jonnie
Posted 2006-11-02 9:11 AM (#68769 - in reply to #68577)

Hitler wasn't Jewish, he was catholic (though the Church of Rome doesn't really like being reminded of that).
SCThornley
Posted 2006-11-02 9:23 AM (#68771 - in reply to #68769)

jonnie - 2006-11-02 9:11 AM

Hitler wasn't Jewish, he was catholic (though the Church of Rome doesn't really like being reminded of that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler#Childhood_and_heritage

Childhood and heritage

Adolf Hitler as an infant.Adolf Hitler was born on April 20, 1889 at Braunau am Inn, Austria, a small town in Upper Austria, on the border with Germany. He was the third son and the fourth of six children of Alois Hitler (born Schicklgruber) (1837–1903), a minor customs official, and Klara Pölzl (1860–1907), his second cousin, and third wife. Because of the close kinship of the two, a papal dispensation had to be obtained for the marriage. Of Alois and Klara's six children, only Adolf and his younger sister Paula reached adulthood. Alois Hitler also had a son (Alois Junior) and a daughter (Angela) by his second wife.

Alois was born illegitimate and for the first thirty-nine years of his life bore his mother's name, Schicklgruber. In 1876, Alois began using the name of his stepfather, Johann Georg Hiedler, after visiting a priest responsible for birth registries and declaring that Georg was his father (Alois gave the impression that Georg was still alive but he was long dead). The name was variously spelled Hiedler, Huetler, Huettler and Hitler and probably changed to "Hitler" by a clerk. About the origin of the name there are two theories:

From German Hittler and similar, "one who lives in a hut", "shepherd".
From Slavic Hidlar and Hidlarcek.
Later, Adolf Hitler was accused by his political enemies of not rightfully being a Hitler, but a Schicklgruber. This was also exploited in Allied propaganda during World War II when pamphlets bearing the phrase "Heil Schicklgruber" were airdropped over German cities.[citation needed] Adolf was legally born a Hitler, however, and was also closely related to Hiedler through his maternal grandmother, Johanna Hiedler.

Hitler's given name, "Adolf", comes from the Old High German for "noble wolf" ("Adel"="nobility" + "wolf").[1] Hence, not surprisingly, one of Hitler's self-given nicknames was Wolf or Herr Wolf — he began using this nickname in the early 1920s and was addressed by it only by intimates (as "Uncle Wolf" by the Wagners) up until the fall of the Third Reich.[2] The names of his various headquarters scattered throughout continental Europe (Wolfsschanze in East Prussia, Wolfsschlucht in France, Werwolf in Ukraine, etc.) seem to reflect this.

Hitler was not sure who his paternal grandfather was, but it was probably either Johann Georg Hiedler or his brother Johann Nepomuk Hiedler. There have been rumours that Hitler was one-quarter Jewish [1] and that his paternal grandmother, Maria Schicklgruber, had become pregnant after working as a servant in a Jewish household in Graz. During the 1920s, the implications of these rumours along with his known family history were politically explosive, especially for the proponent of a racist ideology. Opponents tried to prove that Hitler, the leader of the anti-Semitic Nazi Party, had Jewish or Czech ancestors. Although these rumours were never confirmed, for Hitler they were reason enough to conceal his origins. Soviet propaganda insisted Hitler was a Jew, though more modern research tends to diminish the probability that he had Jewish ancestors. According to Robert G. L. Waite in The Psychopathic God: Adolf Hitler, Hitler made it illegal for German women to work in Jewish households, and after the "Anschluss" (annexation) of Austria, Hitler had his father's hometown obliterated by turning it into an artillery practice area. Hitler seemed to fear that he was Jewish, and as Waite points out, this fact is more important than whether he actually was.

Because of Alois Hitler's profession, his family moved frequently, from Braunau to Passau, Lambach, Leonding, and Linz. As a young child, Hitler was reportedly a good student at the various elementary schools he attended; however, in sixth grade (1900–1), his first year of high school (Realschule) in Linz, he failed completely and had to repeat the grade. His teachers reported that he had "no desire to work."

Hitler later explained this educational slump as a kind of rebellion against his father Alois, who wanted the boy to follow him in a career as a customs official, although Adolf wanted to become a painter. This explanation is further supported by Hitler's later description of himself as a misunderstood artist. However, after Alois died on January 3, 1903, when Adolf was 13, Hitler's schoolwork did not improve. At the age of 16, Hitler left school with no qualifications.

So now that Hitler has been covered is this the nail in the coffin for this thread?
jonnie
Posted 2006-11-02 9:30 AM (#68774 - in reply to #68577)

I think so! It's enough to put me off my pistachios.
joscmt
Posted 2006-11-02 11:24 AM (#68793 - in reply to #68577)

I'm with GJ, I just think there are funnier types of humor out there. I don't like humor that pokes fun at other races, religions, etc. Latka and Balki were funny, because they weren't making fun of their cultures, they were funny because of the misunderstandings that ensued through language and cultural barriers- but no one was made fun of.
And really, to each his own- I'm not judging anyone for liking Borat- I just don't.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-11-02 5:15 PM (#68809 - in reply to #68577)

Does anyone here think Dave Chappelle is funny? He cracks me up. So does Seinfeld. I never understood Benny Hill but I always like Monty Python.

Is the Chappelle Show still on? I haven't plugged my tv in since I moved. I'm on a reading kick now, which brings me to Running with Scissors (but we kind of already touched on this in another thread). I'm reading Burroughs' second novel, Dry, which is his (hilarious) account of rehab. Augusten Burroughs is funny.

fifi
joscmt
Posted 2006-11-02 6:30 PM (#68813 - in reply to #68577)

ok, I have to restate my earlier comment because I do think classic Eddie Murphy is hilarious, along with Chris Rock, Eddie Izzard, and Bill Hicks- none of which are PC. Maybe it's Borat's silly costume- I never did well with props- ie. Gallagher, Carrot Top, etc... I don't know..
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-11-03 11:29 AM (#68825 - in reply to #68577)

Dave Chappelle is hilarious! Too bad they aren't making any new shows, its all reruns.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-11-03 1:24 PM (#68834 - in reply to #68577)

all of the other comedians, other than Cohen, mentioned in this thread tend to not rely on humiliating some unsuspecting person.

Cohen's technique just seems mean spirited.

I can take a little bit of it, but after a while it's just not really funny.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-11-03 5:33 PM (#68839 - in reply to #68809)

*Fifi* - 2006-11-02 5:15 PM

Does anyone here think Dave Chappelle is funny? He cracks me up.

I LOVE Dave Chappelle. I think his blind, black, white superistics was insanely great, truely inspired comedy.

Is the Chappelle Show still on? I haven't plugged my tv in since I moved.

He essentially walked away from the whole thing. My understanding is that he essentially felt he was about to make a deal with the devil. They were going to offer him 30 million for the next season, but he would have been giving up tons of creative control. The people looking to gain this control over him were interested in taking his show places he didn't feel comfortable with. So he essentially dropped it.

Friend of mine ran into him on the streets. (he lives in Yellow Springs, which is an interesting little hippy/college town about 100 north of here.) Dave just about ran into him as was walking to his bike. My friend put out a hand, and said "It's okay Dave." It was a pretty cool thing to do for a couple of reasons: 1) He acknowledge that he knew who he was. 2) He basically acted in manner that showed he wasn't going to mess with him.

Right about that time a bunch of frat boys came around the corner and were all like "Hey, it's Dave Chappelle!" "Hey Dave!", and all that sort of ugly crap. My friend said he only got a small dose of the energy those guys were directing at Dave, but said that it was really ugly and f*cked up. Dave gave them a sort of curt "Hi", and took off the other direction on his bike.

BTW, I think Steve has hit the nail on the head, I just don't care for comedy that involves an unsuspecting "innocent" party getting humilated. Humor came be a great weapon in the hands of satirists going against the corrupt and evil powers that be, but when this is turned again ordinary people who's only criming is being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I have issues with it. I also don't care for the "Jerky Boys", or "Crank Yankers" for the same reason, but I love the "Daily Show" because they're making some very shrewd observations about people who'd rather we didn't look behind the curtain.

Posted 2006-11-04 7:43 PM (#68848 - in reply to #68577)

What still to this day has me in tears of laughter is Jackie Gleason--especially in a sketch when he gets hurt and those eyes magnify 100 times...OMG...

(johnkascht22058.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments johnkascht22058.jpg (93KB - 21 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)