YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lemon Lush
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-07 10:13 AM (#71195)
Subject: Lemon Lush

Expert Yogi

Actually, I changed my mind. I don't like it when people nit-pick my recipes in public. You should of kept that to yourself ZB. I'm taking my recipe back. If anyone wants it, email me privately.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-12-07 10:39 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-12-07 10:26 AM (#71197 - in reply to #71195)
Subject: RE: Lemon Lush

well, here's the way that i would make it healthier:

for the crust, i'd use my raw foodist friend's crust recipe. it's super yummy.

instead of cool whip, i'd use real whipped cream. yummy!

instead of instant pudding, i'd make real lemon pudding (i do make a mean lemon pudding).

i'm not feeling cream cheese right now, i'm feeling marscipone. so i'd probably switch that out.

yup. it sounds yummy now!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-12-07 1:32 PM (#71222 - in reply to #71195)

Gee, I had to check the poster names twice, for a moment it sounded like you guys had switched places. Usually ZB posts something useful, and Cyndi shows up to nit-pick it to death, and tell the posters how stupid/wrong/unenlightened they are.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-07 1:59 PM (#71226 - in reply to #71222)

Expert Yogi

Whatever GJ. I've never said that to other posters. Just for the record, I get several emails monthly from read only members telling me how much I have inspired them and to please don't stop posting. That is the only reason I've stayed on this forum. Frankly, I'm tired of your bashing me in public on this forum. You are out of line and should keep your personal attacks of me to yourself. Have a nice day.

Posted 2006-12-07 3:30 PM (#71234 - in reply to #71195)

actually, i wasn't 'nit picking' it. instead, i was providing options for people if they wanted to try other versions or saying how i was going to do it. i don't know how sharing is 'nit picking' and suggesting changes is a big deal. In the past, people have made suggestions about how to add to or take away from a recipe or three that i've posted--i usually USE their suggestions!

Posted 2006-12-07 3:41 PM (#71235 - in reply to #71195)

here, in the spirit of good-natured sharing such that we can all enjoy recipes as we would like, i'll post my friends "really great sh*t" recipe:

Ingredients:

Vanilla pudding (instant)
graham crackers or Nilla Wafers
Toll House Chocolate Chips
Sliced bananas
strawberry jam
Cool Whip

Make it lasagne style, ending with cool whip. fridge.

now, here's the way that i make it:

home-made vanilla custard (i like the firmer consistancy)
home-made short bread cookies
fair-trade dark chocolate bar chopped into bits
fresh or frozen (i prefer fresh) mixed berries
fresh bananas
whipped cream (i like to whip it myself)

layer like lasagne, finishing with whipped cream. Fridge.

and typically, i like to make them individually sized. i use little spring form pans and then pop them out.

If you can think of other combinations, feel free to share. I htink perhaps alternating between lemon and vanilla custard might be nice, or doing a raspberry chocolate combination would be really decadent. raspberry pudding, with rasberries, short bread, and the dark chocolate? that sounds awesome!

I can call it "Cyndi-inspired really great sh*t"
SCThornley
Posted 2006-12-07 4:27 PM (#71239 - in reply to #71195)

I eat dirt

so

that sounds tastier than dirt
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-07 5:21 PM (#71244 - in reply to #71239)

Expert Yogi

ZB, next time, post your own recipe idea, don't play on mine and insult me at the same time. Don't put my name on your recipe creations as you did above. You're not in my kitchen and have no idea.

BTW, if I wanted to post a "healthy" "vegan" recipe, I would have. That is why I posted this in the OT section. Tourist requested earlier that she wanted the recipe in the Lush soap conversation thread. Fact is, I do have a healthy version of the recipe I posted this morning, similar to your alteration, it really tastes like $hit! Thanks but no thanks.

Besides, some of us can afford a *real* dessert on occasion and aren't bothered by using Cool Whip. Besides, Cool Whip does better than *real* whipping cream in this particular recipe..but that's a matter of taste. But, we've had this discussion before haven't we??

Guess what I'm having for dinner??? Venison with Tomato Basil Marinara sauce from my homemade sauce that I canned this summer over whole durum wheat pasta. Talk about scrumptious and delicious.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-12-07 5:28 PM
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-07 5:42 PM (#71246 - in reply to #71195)

Thank heavens I'm not the bulls-eye in this one! yea!

ZB- I think both sound yummy scrummy!! I have a killer recipe for large-pearl tapioca that would be cool to layer in there.. I worked with this pastry chef who layered the tapioca with coconut merigue wafers and passion-fruit caramel sauce... OMG! SOOOOO... yummy!!

Cyndi- homemade tomato sauce! I remember when you posted about that.. enjoy!
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-07 5:43 PM (#71247 - in reply to #71195)

Oh yeah- if cooks didn't nit-pick and change each others recipes over the years, we'd probably still be eating mammoth roasted over a fire.... OR.. all that crazy **** the Romans ate- Garum, need I say more???
tourist
Posted 2006-12-07 7:11 PM (#71257 - in reply to #71247)

Expert Yogi

Honestly Cyndi - I have had a heck of a day with my toddlers and that series of posts of yours really has pushed the limits of my patience! I come home to relax and deal with adults, not the terrible twos I would have enjoyed reading the recipe, had a smile and never got around to making it - like so many recipes. Now I have this instead.....
GreenJello
Posted 2006-12-07 9:39 PM (#71271 - in reply to #71239)

SCThornley - 2006-12-07 4:27 PM

I eat dirt

so

Yeah, me too. I had some the other day when I dropped the muffin I was eating for breakfast. Interestingly enough dirt reminded me of sand, so I guess the dirt around here isn't very good for eating. How's the dirt where you live?
SCThornley
Posted 2006-12-07 9:54 PM (#71274 - in reply to #71271)

GreenJello - 2006-12-07 9:39 PM

SCThornley - 2006-12-07 4:27 PM

I eat dirt

so

Yeah, me too. I had some the other day when I dropped the muffin I was eating for breakfast. Interestingly enough dirt reminded me of sand, so I guess the dirt around here isn't very good for eating. How's the dirt where you live?

there's an awful lot of shale around these parts, so, dirt, I mean genuine dirt is hard to come by. It's quite a delicacy. My favorite kind of dirt is the dirt that tracks into the car near the pedals. If I drop a doughnut down there and it rolls around a little it adds just the right amount of stone for the gullet.
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-07 10:00 PM (#71275 - in reply to #71195)

As a kid, I had a friend with a great motto- "God made dirt, so dirt won't hurt"- around here, there's a lot of red clay... probably pretty mineral-ly.. slate further out in the mountains...

So, those crazy Romans I was telling you about (of which I am descended) had this one recipe recorded by the beloved Apicius that was the following:
Build a ring of fire
Put a duck (some other translation is a swan- probably more likely as they were a delicacy) in the ring of fire.
As it runs around in terror inside the ring it will tire and die
At this point it is ready to be eaten...

This is the kind of craziness from the Roman recipes..... probably had something to do with the lead in the aquaducts... just maybe....
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-07 10:00 PM (#71276 - in reply to #71257)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2006-12-07 7:11 PM

Honestly Cyndi - I have had a heck of a day with my toddlers and that series of posts of yours really has pushed the limits of my patience! I come home to relax and deal with adults, not the terrible twos I would have enjoyed reading the recipe, had a smile and never got around to making it - like so many recipes. Now I have this instead.....

Well, that's exactly how I felt....just the other way around. Perceptions are strange things aren't they. Interesting how one group of people can get stuck in "their" perception...wonder what causes that? I thought yoga practitioners were suppose to be more perceptive to these kinds of things. Oh well, the topic was about Lemon Lush...not Lemon Mush. I wanted you to have something scrumptious since we were talking about *Lush* and *Lushious* things on that other thread....you know, to go along with your soap...it's just as well that I deleted it, obviously it wasn't appreciated. I would of deleted the entire thread, but I couldn't and you were off being busy with your little tator tots,

For the record, Cooking School Etiquette 101: You always recognize the originator of the recipe. If you are going to revamp the recipe, you do it discreetly and not in front of the originator. It's very rude and not very mindful of the originators creativity.

If you guys are going to eat dirt...just make sure you take a good worming pill, ya know, like the ones they give dogs once a month. I'd hate to see ya'll get a bad case of tape worms..Ick,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-12-07 10:02 PM
JackieCat
Posted 2006-12-08 7:27 AM (#71295 - in reply to #71195)

Extreme Veteran

ZB- your healthy alternatives sound really good and if my idea of cooking involved anything more than turning on the oven to heat something up or turning on the stove to boil water, I'd be right on it.

To the rest of this foolishness I have only a few words: You've GOT to be kidding . . .
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-08 8:12 AM (#71298 - in reply to #71195)

JackieCat- I'm with you.. it's funny, people who come into the restaurant are always fascinated about how my husband and I eat at home (as we are both chefs).. the funny part is, that I don't do much more than heat stuff up... for example, this week (we are only home together Sunday and Monday nights- Sunday is for ordering in) I made braised kale and baked chicken... nothin' fancy...after a week at the restaurant, the last thing I want to do is make fancy meals at home. Occasionally, I'll break out the "skills", but not often... heehee.. oh well...

And sorry, all, about all the Roman stuff.. I'm completely fascinated by historical cuisine... veggies weren't eaten on a regular basis, in the West, until the Italian Renaissance... 15th century!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-12-08 8:16 AM (#71299 - in reply to #71195)

I like Steve's recipe for dirt, yum!

Posted 2006-12-08 9:13 AM (#71304 - in reply to #71195)

joscmt:

i'd love to read your recipe for the tapioca. i decided to make a lemon-based tart for my mother's party tonite.

for dinner last nite i had:

creamy potatot soup with collard greens with a side salad of mixed greens with sprouts. very yummy

Potato Soup with Collard Greens

Potatos
Onions
Garlic Cloves (whole, peeled)
Vegetable broth (i used home made stuff because i had carrots and everyone wilting in the fridge)

boil everybody, then puree.

so that's the base.

and then i ribbon cut the chollard greens and light sauteed them to get them to wilt, then placed them like noodles on top of the potato soup. I added a nice lump of raw, full cream irish butter to the top, while ryan drizzled olive oil over his. I then used a bit of fersh cracked pepper.

my sprout mix was new--a friend was helping me grow some--radish and broccoli sprouts--and i also tossed on some french lentil sprouts. white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, pepper. very good!

Tomorrow, i'm serving:

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup (made yesterday, it's better on the third day)

Bitter herb salad (my mom lives in the mountains and the hardy herbs are still out in the woods, so i'll go gathering) with citrus and fennel (i'm using grapefruit and oranges with fresh fennel--simple lemon vinegarette)

rosemary-roasted pork loin with a dijon cream sauce

spicy butternut squash balls

and for dessert, what inspired me to use lemons was the recipe posted here. i'm making little lemon-raspberry tarts and vanilla sauce. i had them over the summer with the raspberries were fresh. they were good. i found fresh raspberries that are locally grown in a green house here--so i picked up those yesterday.

should be yummy!

Also, though i'd share my pumpkin spread, since it's been great in french toast and my mom asked me to make it on sunday AM:

Pumkin Spread

pumpkin (canned or baked fresh the day before) pureed
marscapone cheese
caramel sauce (purchased or fresh--Honey is also a decent substitute)
vanilla extract or vanilla-soaked in 1/4 cup of milk
pumpkin pie spices (optional--ryan perfers his without)

mix well and go ahead and chill it.

to make french toast, make your batter (for us, it's vanilla, eggs, milk/cream, a bit of sugar or and cinnimon or pie spice mix)

i've been using thinly sliced sourdough. my friend is trying to help me learn how to make it. her's are much better. so, i've been buying it from her.

i use two slices of bread, speading the pumpkin on one side, make the sandwhich, batter both sides, and pan fry it. I've been serving it with buttered pecans in a light maple syrup.

-----

Like marylisa, i'm totally into food. real food, without chemicals in them.

Posted 2006-12-08 9:16 AM (#71306 - in reply to #71195)

jackie:

you'd love my friend's raw cookbook then: Rawvolution! it's literally just blending or dehydrating (you can use your oven for that on the lowest setting). his website is rawvolution.com.

he has a lot of awesome recipes for dessert or otherwise!

OH, and ML, a lot of his stuff is sugar free, mostly (well, i think he uses honey). so, might be a fun option (or not, if so, completely disregard)
mishoga
Posted 2006-12-08 12:49 PM (#71331 - in reply to #71195)

Expert Yogi

HOLY COW ZOE I just chowed down on some Thai food and reading your messgae is making me hungry again

That's my kind of meal (except I'm freaked about salads now )

Mish

Posted 2006-12-08 1:19 PM (#71338 - in reply to #71195)

i love thai food!

my thai yoga massage teacher and those who work with him offer thai herbalism classes that include thai cooking! like ayurveda, certain people can heal certain conditioins/experiences by eating certain foods, herbal combinations, etc. i really look forward to taking that class!

i'm signing up for an apprenticeship with them in january, which should be great! whenever i go, we eat so much thai food it's crazy!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-08 1:29 PM (#71342 - in reply to #71331)

Expert Yogi

Last time I ate Thai food I had an excruciating headache the very next day.....from all that MSG!! It's really unfortunate that good food is being wasted by adding that one little ingredient to their recipes. They all do it. Pisses me off! I miss the good ole' days of "real" oriental food. I remember working in an office environment and having to rely on oriental food. We didn't have those MSG problems back then, people were honest and reputable. In fact, the pioneers of the orient that came here in the late 70's and 80's were a totally different breed. Now they are very few and far between. When you would get a cold or flu, you could rely on your local oriental restaurant to fix you up a nice bowl of congee or clear vegetable soup with Shrimp and Chicken...it would clear the cold and you immediately felt better. Oh well, thank goodness I stay at home these days...and make my own,

For what it's worth...I am probably more of a pickier food person than anybody. I would not eat all those ingredients in Zoebird's menu in a day's meal...way too many ingredients and IMO, for my body, not very good food combining, even if it is vegetarian. Simple meals are better for your health period, even if you're a meat eater, you can still get the same benefits as vegetarian by eating SIMPLE MEALS. Raw is not for me and definitely not good for children. But we've had this discussion before.

Which brings me to say that Mishoga, you should be very cautious about a raw food diet if you have those issues going on with your stomach. They are way too cold. That is why your body is reacting to salads.

My Lemon Lush recipe is NOT made with graham crackers, that recipe had its own hand made crust. For my daughter's birthday today, she read this thread and told me she wanted the Raspberry version instead of a b-day cake. It was totally divine and not too bad on the unhealthy side of things. Besides, I can afford this a couple of times a year, the cool whip ain't gonna kill me. That is one thing that never lasts around this house. Satyam will eat the entire tub and wishes they would export it to Nepal,
mishoga
Posted 2006-12-08 1:40 PM (#71346 - in reply to #71195)

Expert Yogi

OK, Zoe, what's your fav dishes for Thai?
I like Shrimp Pad Thai and Green Curry Chicken.

Cyndi, my system is so screwed up. I've been that way forever, since as long as I can remember as a child.
I need to pay more attention to my body. The problem is I love a varied palate and different textures. I love to eat, not excessively. My friends call the the grazer.
I know when my stomach will react to most hings but sometimes I'm not sure. And yes, MSG does stink.
Hey, is that why my body responds well to soups...warm?????

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-12-08 1:41 PM

Posted 2006-12-08 1:50 PM (#71350 - in reply to #71195)

mish:

i really can't say. i love all of the varieties of curry. i usually like the green curries with the lime leaves and royal (purple thai) basil the best--but i've had so many different kinds of thai curry, it's hard to decide which i love most of all!

the restaurant that i usually go to does all things fresh. they have so many amazing dishes. typically, i get tofu there (they do make their own) with some form of curry, brown rice (which is dark brown, not the light tan--it's a different type and very delicious and nutty), and i always finish up with their friend bananas with honey-sauce!

before going to Bhagavan Das's kirtan, my friends and i went there and i splurged and had the 'mock duck.' they'd just made it fresh and it was very good! i also had a salad with peanut-sauce dressing as an appitizer. i was hungry that nite!

as an aside, the owners of my fav thai restaurant just found out that i do thai yoga massage, and they all booked massages! LOL the whole family! they said they were having trouble finding someone who knows, and their kids don't want to do it. the elders are not expected to do it, and they do it for the elders. the elders cook in the restuarant though. so, that's pretty cool. they found out when i went there last week (ryan was talking about it with our friend--how great it was, and the owner overheard). they gave us free fried bananas that nite.

man, those bananas are yummy!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)