YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Here - Bikram Beginner
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Orliaes
Posted 2008-04-15 9:52 AM (#106264)
Subject: New Here - Bikram Beginner

So I'm about 278 pounds, 5'11, 21, Male, and pathetically out of shape.

Sunday was my first Bikram class, Yesterday was my second, and today is going to be my third - in a row.

I'm only getting through about 1/2 the postures in the class, the rest of the time i'm trying to not pass out. I think that in some of the more strenuous standing postures I forget to breathe and it totally wipes my body out. Any recommendations?

I am trying to go to Bikram everyday for 60 days, but I'm not officially doing the challenge.

Oh, and I live on the upper west side of Manhattan. I go to BikramNYC @ 72nd street on the UWS.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ajb
Posted 2008-04-15 12:23 PM (#106266 - in reply to #106264)
Subject: RE: New Here - Bikram Beginner

Given that you've only gone 3 times, I'd say you're doing really well. It takes time to get used to the heat and the postures. Especially doing the postures in that heat!

You may be holding your breath in some postures, which could cause you to feel like you're going to pass out. Other than the first and last breathing exercises, you're supposed to breathe through your nose throughout class. Try to take breathes slowly in and out through the nose and posture wise, just do what you can. When I first started practicing, I struggled and had to sit out a lot. Again, it just takes time. It will get better.

Good luck!
Orliaes
Posted 2008-04-15 1:16 PM (#106267 - in reply to #106264)

My third class is today at 4:30. I'm going to really to try focus on breathing today and see if that helps.

I think that I just overheat faster than most people. I'm really heat sensitive to start out with and the postures deff. don't help.

I also forgot to mention that I'm fasting, which might be contributing to the difficulty.

Any more beginners tips?

Posted 2008-04-15 1:17 PM (#106268 - in reply to #106264)

Breathe!!

Drink lots of water, do what you can, listen to the words, watch what's going on, notice what happens to your body, be observant, be patient, be determined, and most of all... even though it probably seems like torture right now... have FUN. And congratulations on going back the day after your first class - that is probably the hardest part.

Posted 2008-04-15 1:21 PM (#106269 - in reply to #106264)

OH - you're fasting?? Huh. That might not be a good idea, especially during your first week ever!! Your body is going to need some fuel in order to maximize your benefits from the class!! I wouldn't suggest eating right NOW, but maybe at least some high-water fruit or something like that would be good... cause I'm worried that you might be making a hard thing even harder!

On the other hand, I DO like to practice on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, but that only like a 10 hour fast... but how long have you been fasting for??
Orliaes
Posted 2008-04-15 1:32 PM (#106270 - in reply to #106264)

This is day 3 of the fast. I started it in line with my Bikram.

Surprisingly, so far--outside of bikram-- my energy levels have been pretty good. After Bikram, however, I am completely wiped.

I'm doing the master cleanse, ever heard of it? The detox of bikram and the detox from the fast seemed to go hand in hand.

Posted 2008-04-15 1:50 PM (#106271 - in reply to #106264)

Interesting! I've heard of the master cleanse. (Never done it though!!!) I remember a while back there was discussion of doing Bikram during the master cleanse on another forum. (I think it was facebook actually, tho I can't find the post now.) I think the opinion was that it could be done but one should proceed with caution!! I can definitely see how it could go hand-in-hand with Bikram, but I would be careful about getting too wiped out! Often one of the greatest benefits that beginners notice is INCREASED energy levels, so it sounds like you might be depriving yourself of that benefit...
Rant
Posted 2008-04-15 3:15 PM (#106273 - in reply to #106264)

Ultimately you’re gonna do what you want but I would strongly suggest dropping the fast. A guy your size and new to the practice is going to be burning an enormous amount of calories just doing the practice. You’ll crash and burn not eating. You need fuel. If you stick with it long enough your weight will stabilize and you’ll begin eating wisely without much effort. I lost 15 pounds in 26 days just practicing and making wiser food choices.
ajb
Posted 2008-04-15 3:22 PM (#106275 - in reply to #106270)

I've heard of the Master Cleanse and I've even attempted it. I lasted 4 days and I felt so terrible, I didn't practice at all those 4 days. Instead of going to yoga after work, I went home and planted myself on the couch. lol. My partner lasted 6 days and practiced once during that time.

I work at a Bikram studio (the desk, not a teacher) and when we have people doing a fast, the teachers always tell them to "take it easy." Do what you can but if you're feeling dizzy or light headed (seems to happen even more during backward bending), take a knee, sit down or lie down. The Master Cleanse is a shock to your system so you will definitely want to proceed with caution.

The dancingj gave you great advice. As a beginner, you just want to do what you can, hydrate, replace your electrolytes and be patient. When you are done with the cleanse, I suggest replacing your electrolytes asap after class with either Emergen-c packets or coconut water (Zico and O.N.E. are my favorites).

Best of luck with your yoga and the Master Cleanse!
ajb
Posted 2008-04-15 3:28 PM (#106276 - in reply to #106273)

As Rant mentioned, you're going to do what you want but I have to agree with him. Doing the yoga alone several times a week is going to help you lose weight. You mentioned unofficially attempting the challenge and I have seen men (and women) do this, not fasting, and lose a lot of weight. They came to yoga every day, they ate sensibly and the weight just melt right off of them. They combined the challenge with healthy eating and were very successful with their weight loss goals. All bodies are different though so it's obviously not a guarantee but I see it all the time, working there.

Edited by ajb 2008-04-15 3:29 PM
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-04-15 5:04 PM (#106278 - in reply to #106264)

I have no opinion on the fasting. When you are in the room, do the best that you can. Breathing well has been crucial for me. The first few classes, I would forget to breathe, especially in the back strengthening series, where it is so easy to hold your breath for the duration of the posture. This led to headaches later on in the day. Now, I start with focus on my breath. As one of our instructors says, again and again, breath first, form second, then depth. If I'm losing control of the breath, I back off, or go out completely to sitting or savasana. Although it might seem outwardly that I'm doing less, this has led to more rapid progress.

I started a month ago, not too far from where you are: 6 ft. 2 in. and 259 lbs. Not in very good shape at all. I've been averaging about 5 days a week. I now find myself having to skip a set of postures once during standing series (usually one of the triangle sets), and then maybe having to skip out on the second half of locust. I'm trying to get through these, but I've had a cold for the last week and a half, and its really thrown my breathing for a loop. Thats a major improvement from sitting out almost half of the class my second session.

The health improvements have been amazing. No acid reflux anymore. No plantar fasciatis. My blood pressure is normal without meds. I've lost 19 lbs without dieting. My posture is better. My sleeping is better. And, from what I can tell, the hardest thing about Bikram's is just dragging myself to class. It's fine once I'm through awkward pose. And the class itself is already getting easier after only a month.

Hope this helps,

Duffy
libragirl
Posted 2008-04-15 5:42 PM (#106281 - in reply to #106264)

I would be inclined to think you might lose weight more quickly--or steadily, over a longer period of time--if you stopped fasting. I'm pretty sure that such a stringent new regimen (intense Bikram practice in the heat that your body isn't used to, combined with not eating) would be a shock to your system. Your body might even "hold on" to some of the fat stores b/c you're essentially throwing yourself into starvation mode.

I bet with a sensible diet and a regular practice, you'll see some really great long-term results from Bikram. Just be patient.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-15 5:54 PM (#106282 - in reply to #106264)

Expert Yogi

We've had this discussion before about fasting. If you have never fasted before and are new to Bikram at the same time....you are asking for trouble. Fasting is a lost art and should be done with care and/or proper guidance from a trained professional doctor of some sort, whether it be MD, Holistic, TCMD, Ayurvedic or whatever. The Master Cleanse is the WORST and not the correct method of fasting. It's very dangerous to your health in the long run. You really should stop the fasting or either stop Bikram until your fast is over.

If you want to loose weight and continue with Bikram - safely, drink Spirutein Protein Meals. It has all the daily vitamin, minerals, and all kinds of stuff that is good for you. I usually take mine right after my Bikram session. Not that I'm trying to loose weight, I just don't like to eat a lot of food after yoga. These meals give me the nutrition I need without eating or better yet, without having to prepare and cook. I like to have freetime after Bikram,

Best wishes with your practice.

Edited by Cyndi 2008-04-15 5:56 PM
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-04-15 6:09 PM (#106287 - in reply to #106264)

Veteran

it was definitely this forum there is another thread on bikram about the master cleanse. I think definitely doing both at the same time when you are beginning both sounds pretty intense for your system. I wouldn't advise you to stop if you are feeling good and it's working for you, but take it easy in the bikram classes while you are fasting! be kind to yourself and do at least one posture each but at 80%, not 100%. If you try to do too much at once you may burn out and give it all up. Bikram takes patience...
Cyndi, why do you think the Master Cleanse is the worst kind? I've never done it, curious what your opinion is.
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-04-15 6:09 PM (#106288 - in reply to #106264)

Veteran

it was definitely this forum there is another thread on bikram about the master cleanse. I think definitely doing both at the same time when you are beginning both sounds pretty intense for your system. I wouldn't advise you to stop if you are feeling good and it's working for you, but take it easy in the bikram classes while you are fasting! be kind to yourself and do at least one posture each but at 80%, not 100%. If you try to do too much at once you may burn out and give it all up. Bikram takes patience...
Cyndi, why do you think the Master Cleanse is the worst kind? I've never done it, curious what your opinion is.
Orliaes
Posted 2008-04-15 8:02 PM (#106291 - in reply to #106264)

I live another day.

Today was a lot better than the first two. I was able to do a lot more.

In reference to the fast: I've done it before (27 days last time) and loved it. It got me off caffeine (free for little over 2 years now -- and in college!). Also helped me cut out a lot of fried foods. I'm going to stick with it for now, as so far things are feeling pretty good.

I'm still a bit tired today. It seems the practice is really taking it out of me and it's probably from the lack of food. However, my yoga teacher and two other people in the class today were also on the fast, so I feel a bit better about it.

I'm also keeping a excel track sheet on my weight loss and measurements, so I can track lean body mass and body fat. If I'm losing lean body mass and not body fat, I'll cut the fast. I'm weighing and measuring every fourth dat. Tomorrow is the first weigh in. I'll report back.

I came onto the forum to have some support for the hard times, and I really appreciate all of the feedback everyone has given! I'll keep updating.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-15 9:36 PM (#106293 - in reply to #106264)

Expert Yogi

Sorry guys I don't have time to type a loooong explanation on the Master Cleanse. I found this article below that was written by an Ayurvedic practictioner friend of mine who commented about this on another forum. I totally agree with her and have had similar experiences myself. These Master Cleanses also ruin the intestinal memory of the human body system. It's just not good in the long run and is only a short term fix. It's like a bad fad diet and basically is.

If you do a search on this forum about Master Cleansing, there are lots of discussions about the subject. The following is from an Ayurvedic perspective. The TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) perspective is very similar. Chinese doctors do not believe in these practices because of the imbalance to the internal organs. There are many safer, healthier ways to rid the body of toxins. It should never be violent, traumatic and more importantly, quickly. It takes time and patience and using common sense with a good diet and good rest.

(originally posted March/06 at a yoga group where people were claiming the physical and 'spiritual' benefits of fasting)....

I used to do the same fast once or twice a year for about 10 years and i have to say i loved the immediate results.....untill the last few times i did which were not such great experiences and i stopped in spring 2000.....if i only knew then what i know now....

You are absolutely right to make note of the importance of proper methods and proper times......

From an Ayurvedic perspective, fasting is not a recommended practice even though you may find that popular interpretations of methods of detox will advocate it.....these interpretations are incorrect....

Fasting is extreme and ayurveda, a science of balance, recommends never creating any extreme condition within the system.....among many other things, fasting shuts down the digestive system, which in turn aggravates all 3 dosha as well as further sub-dosha, particularity those of vata and pitta......it has a negative effect on the production, nourishment and quality of all 7 tissue layers due to depletion of ojas and the specialized agni responsible for transforming one tissue layer to the next.....it causes long term effects on digestive enzymes....and seriously depletes ojas on every level (personally i find this is the scarriest part)......

Another crucial thing to consider is the condition of the microcirculatory channels (srotas)......a huge majority of people have clogged, congested (with acidic toxins) srotas .....in these cases, any toxins released during a fast would have nowhere to go, since they have to pass through the srotas on a cellular level, and will end up becoming reabsorbed into the system, taxing the liver in particular, first, and thereby not only defeating the purpose of the fast but creating future problems...

I know with the lemon juice/maple syrup/cayenne fast it is said that the combination of ingredients provides all necessary vitamins and minerals but honestly, in light of the things mentioned above, the nourishing components of the mixture cannot function to nourish at all......

Also anyone with predominent pitta dosha or paricularily with pitta imbalance should not have cayenne in the first place.....even people who are very conscious and eat right, have good routine, etc., tend to have some ranjaka pitta imbalance with acidic toxins in the liver, due to environmental factors beyond their control, emotional challenges, etc.....using cayenne for the purpose of cleansing is not such a great idea.....people with predominant or excess pitta or vata need to be especially careful detoxing, period......

There is SO much understanding of the dangers of improper detox within the knowledge of ayurveda.....there are safer, more effective ways to cleanse the system and achieve the lighteness clarity of mind which can enhance spiritual insight......

I am definitely not trying to create an argument here.....I am simply elaborating on my original response.......sharing a little of my experiential, as well as clinical, experience (in my practice i have seen the damaging effects of fasting, colonics, etc) i.......i used to love fasting.....i understand how all of the evidence supporting it seems to make sense.....i think it is a good idea to have a broader, more complete perspective though, before making such a very important decision regarding ones health......:-)

What are the safer ways then?

I’m really sorry but its just not that simple....aside form some very basic, general health recommendations for people who are fairly well balanced there are really no generic protocols in Ayurveda...its complex....

There are some simple things one can do to open up the channels and slowly, gently detox to a degree...sipping throughout the day on warm, boiled water infused with very small amounts of spices like one clove, some fennel seed and corriander seed can be good....maybe a pinch of cumin if there is no constipation....marshmallow root if you feel dry...

The ratio should be about 1/4 tsp of spice or less to 1 litre of water infused for at least 20 min...cooking with the same spices along with a little turmeric (in very small doses to begin with and NEVER untoasted) kalunji, and maybe fresh ginger (but not if there is high pitta) can also help over time....

But for true detox, a safe and effective one, a complete protocol must be disigned by a professional after through a assessment of all the tissue layers, channels and sub-dosha....

How about senna, triphala, ayurvedic enemas, oils taken orally there are so many colon cleansing methods in ayurveda. Fasting can healthy when done properly by giving the digestive system a rest, and is a part of ayurveda and taoist Chinese medicine??

Fasting and cleansing done PROPERLY....one must know with great punctilio how and when to carry out these procedures...again, Ayurved does never recommends harsh or extreme methods or substances....like senna when not used properly which is almost always the case...

and if there is high pitta triphala must be formulated secially with fennel and rose...also the majority of triphala is not made with wild amla, rather a hybrid and is usually cultivated improperly leading to bacterial contamination....if anyone who has felt nauseous after taking it this is why....

Unfortuantely people with good intentions choose to implement Ayurvedic practices, substances and formulas based only on superficial knowledge....i had done the same in the past when i first became excited about it, long before i became a practitioner...

Ayurved is DECEPTIVELY simple, as are many of the Vedic sciences....honestly, the more i know/learn the more i realize how very, very complex this system is and how crucial it is that people use it properly, with the guidance of a well trained professional....

Posted 2008-04-15 10:55 PM (#106302 - in reply to #106264)

Soooo, what i'm hearing is, keep the Bikram, skip the fast! But obviously you will do whatever feels right, so all the advice on here is "take it or leave it."

Although I have to mention - I gave up my 10 year long caffeine addiction within my first month of regular Bikram practice, no fasting required!! Fasting AND doing 60 days of Bikram just seems redundant to me. Once your are cleansed, you are cleansed!! There is no more cleansing to be had!!
Katie
Posted 2008-04-16 12:53 AM (#106303 - in reply to #106264)

How did you give up caffiene? I have tried so many times but just crave coffee so badly! I have tried decaf but it just isnt the same! i try to give it up for a week every 3 months just to give my body a break but i can never last longer than a week Is it really that bad for us - caffiene? Do you notice a difference in your yoga practice if you have caffiene or not?

Katie
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-16 7:02 AM (#106308 - in reply to #106303)

Expert Yogi

Gosh, I think I've said this a zillion times on this forum....Bikram yoga is PLENTY ENOUGH, fasting is totally NOT necessary.

As for the coffee...you don't need it. You'll have plenty of energy, believe me.

If you are addicted to coffee...try barley or orzo (I don't think they have orzo here in America, this is the Italia version of roasted barley). Another thing you could try is green tea or jasmine green tea (my preference). That is how I made the switch years ago. Also good one is Yerba Mate. It's a beverage from South America that is very traditional. Alot of people have used this to combat their coffee addiction. However, I do love a cup of java...or better an expresso now and again. It's just not something I HAVE to have. These days I can safely call myself a "pleasure" coffee drinker,

I would NEVER drink coffee and then try a Bikram class. First of all, coffee is very WARMING and is also a diuretic (sp?) My heart would pop out after my first Trikonasana!! and I would literally pass out from heat exposure during Camel and that is one asana I do NOT want to sit out on!!

Traditionally, coffee was used to offset big heavy large meals in the winter cold months. Today coffee is totally abused. It's really a shame because like everything, it has its purpose.
Orliaes
Posted 2008-04-16 8:06 AM (#106313 - in reply to #106264)

Let me preface this with the fact that I have lost 35 pounds in the last two months without the fast. I am eating pretty health -- Chicken Ceaser Salads (light on the dressing), Myoplex Lite Protein shakes and bars, and lots and lots of fruits (Pineapple, Mango, Apples and Kiwis - predominately).

Here is my Excel sheet, which I have now posted on Google Docs. It's tracking my body weight, body fat, measurements, ect every three days: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pERT8dDKGlNEg69DNQ7IGTQ&hl=en

Cyndi - Thank you for the obvious time, effort and care you put into responding to my post. I really appreciate it, and that article has some really good points. However, what is more dangerous: Having a BMI of almost 40? Or fasting to relieve the body of all the weight related issues?

Katie - Giving up caffeine is a real trial, but I SERIOUSLY recommend it. I was up to about 750-850 mgs a day. That's about 6 24 ounce Monster energy drinks, and 6-8 sodas. Crazzy. After I came off of the caffeine, I sleep better (though I still have insomnia - when I do sleep, I sleep better), I feel better in the mornings, I can concentrate more and best of all -- NO CRASH in the afternoon if you forget to have your fix. The fast was a great way for me to get off caffeine because it IS so extreme. You're off everything, so soda is the last thing on your mind (until the insane headaches for the first 3-5 days). Whatever way you do it, get off caffeine! You'll feel better for it! You don't realize how much you don't need it until it's gone.

On a side note, I am dreading class today. I can tell today is going to be hard. Gaah! Hate these days! Oh, and just for all you out there who can do it and like it -- I LOATHE CAMAL. As soon as I sit up in that position, I immediately get dizzy and nauseous. Blah!
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-16 9:06 AM (#106315 - in reply to #106313)

Expert Yogi

Orliaes - 2008-04-16 8:06 AM

Let me preface this with the fact that I have lost 35 pounds in the last two months without the fast. I am eating pretty health

Which is why I have a hard time understanding why the need for the fast???

Cyndi - Thank you for the obvious time, effort and care you put into responding to my post. I really appreciate it, and that article has some really good points. However, what is more dangerous: Having a BMI of almost 40? Or fasting to relieve the body of all the weight related issues?

Your welcome, but actually I responded to someone else's request about why I thought the Master Cleanse was the worst. As for your question about your BMI and weight related issues?? Yes, it is dangerous if left unattended. But, in the LONG run, sudden weight losses are only short term, and will not solve your problems. In fact, they will make your problems worse over time.

HOWEVER, if you stick with Bikram or any other type of yoga program, change your lifestyle, exercise and eating habits, you will change your life for good...IF you stick with it. Whilst this may take much much longer, perhaps a year or two, maybe longer - maybe alot less (really its a personal thing and per the individual - their level of determination, etc.), you will be all the better off and your body will be sooo much healthier.

On a side note, I am dreading class today. I can tell today is going to be hard. Gaah! Hate these days! Oh, and just for all you out there who can do it and like it -- I LOATHE CAMAL. As soon as I sit up in that position, I immediately get dizzy and nauseous. Blah!

If you are that dizzy and nauseated in Camel, you are doing it wrong.

Edited by Cyndi 2008-04-16 9:15 AM
Rant
Posted 2008-04-16 11:33 AM (#106324 - in reply to #106264)

This is an interesting thread. I have fasted in a number of different manners for a variety of different reasons with varying success. The most effective fasts I ever had were years back when I would stay active with yoga and other activities 6 days and then fast on Sunday. I would drink an 8 ounce cup of buttermilk and maybe a small glass of juice. I rested all day. This was long before having children and marriage. I felt light and refreshed the next day. I also fast during Lent for religious/spiritual reasons.

I think it’s worth noting that Orliaes did this before for 27 days and “loved it”. Something about it worked for him and maybe combining it with Bikram’s is taking it to the next level or something. I have been involved and keenly interested in all things related to health, wellness and fitness my entire life. The more I learn the less I’m sure I know. There are some general principles that seem to apply across the board but bodies can respond drastically different to the same protocol whether it’s diet or exercise. There are way too many factors to take into account.

I stated my opinion on fasting and Bikram’s earlier so I will leave that alone. I have no control issues. I would however be interested in seeing how this works out for you. Good luck. Please keep us posted.
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-04-16 12:25 PM (#106327 - in reply to #106264)

Veteran

thanks for the answer Cyndi- I never knew that Ayurvedic methods don't recommend fasting.
I've been trying to give up caffiene with some success and some failure! Two things really help me for the poster who asked how to do it- one is if you can quit caffiene for a couple of weeks- then let yourself have a cup of coffee and feel what it does to your system. You can REALLY feel the difference when you are not having it every day and it made me realize what a jolt it gives and not a pleasant one! The other thing that has helped me in the past month- there is a yoga stretching book out on the web that listed caffiene as death to flexibility and that has really been a motivator for me. When I want a cup of coffee I just think of all the time I've spent trying to touch my toes.
Chatoyancy
Posted 2008-04-16 2:22 PM (#106331 - in reply to #106264)

I'd like to make a quick comment on BMI, since it was mentioned.

There are definitely possible health risks when you're overweight, not to mention the poor self-image and self-esteem issues that can go along with it. Losing weight and becoming more fit helps reduce those risks. That's undisputed.

However, I personally have a bit of an issue with BMI. That chart was developed in the mid 1800's as a social study and wasn't meant to be followed so stringently as a measurement of our health. I don't even believe it's been updated since then! Yet fitness PR seems to flog us over the heads with it. (Often the same fitness center staff that makes fun of yoga--I'd like to see some of those jocks try it!) Sometimes even our doctors hit us with it, and while I wouldn't disregard a doctor's advice, I do believe that Western medicine can be very closed-minded.

Here's some quick info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

I don't have a problem with using it as a guide for a ballpark figure, but that's it. I use the scale the same way. I feel it's more important for me to judge by how my body shape changes and improves, not to mention how fit I become and how much better I feel overall. I believe that a particular weight and BMI doesn't automatically mean I'm healthier.

Orliaes, I think it's great that you've decided to take control of your health--good for you! *Imagine clapping smiley here* I know only too well how hard it is both physically and mentally, so I'm very proud of you! Please don't think I'm saying you should totally disregard BMI. I just wanted to share that info in the hopes of helping you create a better life for yourself, as I know only too well how easy it can be to become obsessed and frustrated by numbers!

Edited by Chatoyancy 2008-04-16 2:23 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)