YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why can we go every day?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

dcellere
Posted 2008-05-04 8:28 PM (#107014)
Subject: Why can we go every day?

My husband has been questioning me and my practice, as I go to Bikram every day. He talks about how if you are doing weight-training, you need to take a break to let the muscles rest. I KNOW that this is not the case with yoga, but I really don't have any real answer for him. Why is it that we can practice yoga every day and not let the muscles rest? It IS sort of the same thing, because obviously with all the repetition, we are constantly working the same muscles over and over. I know that with yoga, you actually GAIN energy, but that doesn't mean that our yoga muscles don't need to rest. I'm not planning on stopping going every day, but I'd love to know if anyone has some good insight into this (so I can ammo up for the next time the eyes roll as I'm walking out the door with my yoga-gear)!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jar
Posted 2008-05-04 10:26 PM (#107016 - in reply to #107014)
Subject: RE: Why can we go every day?

Regular

Im far from knowledgeable on the subject, but my understanding is that with weightlifting, strength training, intensive bike rides, runs, etc they take muscles to the point of failure which causes micro tears. A rest day is required after weight/strength training to allow these tears to rebuild and gain the benefits from the previous days training.

Since yoga doesnt involve the same method of tearing down muscle so it can rebuild stronger, but instead uses a tourniquet method of closing off blood flow and then releasing it to cause blood to surge through, we dont require a rest day.

Personally id say you need 1 day a week as rest instead of the 1 to 1 ratio of days of strength training/rest.

Posted 2008-05-05 5:55 AM (#107026 - in reply to #107014)

Beautiful answer Randy! Danielle, I imagine your husband detects some building obsession--my wife did with me...and she was right.
dcellere
Posted 2008-05-07 4:19 PM (#107140 - in reply to #107026)

Hmmm.. obsession vs. passion... I don't know. I like to think passion. I'm ok if I don't go for day, I'd just much prefer that I do. It changes my day. I have more energy, I get more done, i'm more ambitious, I'm less stressed, I'm more happy. If you want to say that I am building an obsession with being happier, then I am fine with that!!

Jar - thank you for your explanation. It does make sense.

Edited by dcellere 2008-05-07 4:21 PM
hnia
Posted 2008-05-07 4:30 PM (#107143 - in reply to #107140)

I take off Saturdays and Moon Days (full and new moons)

I was off Monday and it drove me crazy not to practice..

Tuesday's practice was very strong it was good that I did take rest.

Best of luck, The same thing happened with my spouse when I started.

Posted 2008-05-07 6:16 PM (#107146 - in reply to #107016)

Jar - 2008-05-04 7:26 PM
Since yoga doesnt involve the same method of tearing down muscle so it can rebuild stronger, but instead uses a tourniquet method of closing off blood flow and then releasing it to cause blood to surge through, we dont require a rest day.

Can you expound on this a bit Randy?

Edited by purnayoga 2008-05-07 6:17 PM
Jar
Posted 2008-05-07 7:04 PM (#107150 - in reply to #107146)

Regular

purnayoga - 2008-05-07 3:16 PM

Can you expound on this a bit Randy?

Not really. As i said in my post I'm not highly knowledgeable on the subject. The above description of a tourniquet effect is simply from Bikram literature and is my understanding of how bikram yoga works the body in comparison to strength and endurance training

I'm sure you have a much more informed and knowledgeable point of view on it.If my understanding is in error, please feel free to correct me.
Andre
Posted 2008-05-08 12:01 AM (#107157 - in reply to #107146)

Extreme Veteran

Jar - Since yoga doesnt involve the same method of tearing down muscle so it can rebuild stronger, but instead uses a tourniquet method of closing off blood flow and then releasing it to cause blood to surge through, we dont require a rest day.

purnayoga - Can you expound on this a bit Randy?

Purna, the way I hear it explained for a pose like fixed firm is you're compressing the joint, pushing all the blood out of it--creating a vacuum. Then you're supposed to get into savasana as quickly as possible afterwards. The theory being all the "fresh oxygenated blood rushes back in" to the area. With a place like knees and a tissue like cartilage which doesn't have much blood flow for regeneration, you're helping the circulation. Sort of like the old batteries where you drained them down all the way so they'd take a full charge.

Now that's generally the theory I've heard. Total exertion to total rest. We have 20 seconds of savasana after every rep in the floor series. I have kind of drunk the kool aide on that aspect. I've rehabbed one knee and am rehabbing the other. Both cartilage damage, I'm pretty sure.

I have no comment or knowledge on tearing down muscles to rebuild them. And I'm generally doing better in life and in Bikrams by allowing for rest. 3-4 days a week is great.
Ram
Posted 2008-05-08 1:56 PM (#107172 - in reply to #107014)

Both Bikram and weightlifting "tear down the muscles". Dont tell me the squatting you do in Bikram doesnt result in the building of thighs. The difference is adaptation. You never increase the workload in Bikram. In weightlifting you can keep increasing the weights to get bigger muscles. Once your muscles adapt in Bikram the muscle building aspect is over. Then its maintanance from that point of view. The human body resists getting bigger. After the initial muscle spurt your done.

Have you ever questioned the other Bikram theories? "now we are working the thryoid". Really? I wonder how valid some of that stuff is. I really dont care though because it works my skeletal system so well.
Andre
Posted 2008-05-08 4:08 PM (#107177 - in reply to #107014)

Extreme Veteran

At 38, after about 6 months of Bikrams, I was able to touch the rim again. I love Awkward Pose!

Have you ever questioned the other Bikram theories? "now we are working the thryoid". Really? I wonder how valid some of that stuff is. I really dont care though because it works my skeletal system so well.

I wonder too. But when they say certain poses help regulate insulin, or work the lower intestine, digestive track, or that sweating helps reduce the strain on the processing organs...? Well, again, I've bought into it. I'm more regular, don't have gas, I crave healthier foods, eat less... it sure seems like I'm processing foods better.
Rant
Posted 2008-05-08 4:17 PM (#107180 - in reply to #107014)

I think the lack of compression allows for everyday practice. In anything else there is a fair amount of compressive stress to the joints.

Yes, I too wonder about the claims about the benefits to the spleen and all that stuff. How do you counter staments like that? I'm just trying to go with the flow.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-05-08 5:51 PM (#107183 - in reply to #107014)

The 60 minutes/Diane Sawyer feature on Bikram (which is linked on the main Bikram site) talks about some studies that Bikram was cooperating with, or participating in. I don't know if any of those studies have concluded, and if they have, what results they had. My guess is that the website would probably feature any favorable study with some prominence. So, if any study has been finished, the results were probably either inconclusive or negative. However, given the length of time that many of the scientific studies take, its very possible that they are all unfinished.

Duffy
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-08 6:59 PM (#107185 - in reply to #107183)

Expert Yogi

Another good example is in wind relieving pose. Your cutting the circulation off to your colon. From a traditional Chinese Medical viewpoint, you're simply stimulating the energy in colon...in fact, stimulating the organs is the whole point of acunpuncture/accupressure. So, I'm sure there are all kinds of "scientific" explanations and "non-scientific" ones...one things for certain, it just works. I try not to focus too much on these aspects of yoga, simply because it's kinda a waste of time. Unless, of course there is something that really needs my attention. Usually, I don't waste too much time trying to figure it all out. I just keep it moving....speaking of movement.....

My all time favorite Bikram term, not sure whether this is really Bikram or not....."All organs need to be massaged and moved. The definition of DEAD is NO movement",
Ram
Posted 2008-05-09 10:04 AM (#107202 - in reply to #107177)

DJ Dre - 2008-05-08 4:08 PM

I wonder too. But when they say certain poses help regulate insulin, or work the lower intestine, digestive track, or that sweating helps reduce the strain on the processing organs...? Well, again, I've bought into it. I'm more regular, don't have gas, I crave healthier foods, eat less... it sure seems like I'm processing foods better.

Ummmm....wonder if you eating better and less has more to do with the not having gas.

Exercise itself makes the body and organs function better. Some of Bikram's claims have potential to be far fetched. Although I dont fully drink the kool aid in respect to these things I do think its an incredible practise.
Andre
Posted 2008-05-09 11:34 AM (#107203 - in reply to #107014)

Extreme Veteran

Ummmm....wonder if you eating better and less has more to do with the not having gas.

I don't think so because my diet hasn't changed substantially. I also wasn't inactive before Bikrams, I played ball 2-3 times a week, was active enough. I really do think it's things like wind removing pose and the sweat and vigor of the series.
Nick
Posted 2008-05-09 11:39 AM (#107204 - in reply to #107157)

Hi all,
I don't think Bikram's description of what is happening is anatomically accurate, but he could be using poetic license. In the spine, for example, sorry if I'm repeating myself, the pressure differentials created in the spinal discs actually draws in nutrients from the surrounding capillaries and pushes out waste products-spinal movemnt is essential in the adult spine (the young human has a blood supply which enters the discs-essential when you consider that for the time in utero, your spine isn't capable of that much movement).
But these are not part of a synovial joint, such as the hip and shoulder. the rationale for the therapeutic movement of synovial joints is completely different than the therapeutic exercise of secondary cartilaginous joints, such as those in which the intervertebral discs are found.
I'm not sure if there's any therapeutic value in attempting to shut off the blood supply to a joint, even if it were possible with these asana. I would have thought it dangerous to try to squeeze an artery, could crush it if too much force is applied, leading to permanent changes to the part of the body it is supplying.

Nick
Andre
Posted 2008-05-09 2:36 PM (#107206 - in reply to #107014)

Extreme Veteran

In the spine, for example... the pressure differentials created in the spinal discs actually draws in nutrients from the surrounding capillaries and pushes out waste products-spinal movement is essential in the adult spine

Interesting. He may be using "poetic license". Much of what I hear in the class, either from dialogue or ad libs from the teachers is similar to what you say about how waste and nutrients are moved through the body. I hear often in classes how much of our posture in daily life is stooped over. So in Bikrams we do the side bends in Half Moon and all the various back bends. Are we creating more pressure differentials to increase the process? Isn't that increasing circulation?
Nick
Posted 2008-05-09 3:07 PM (#107207 - in reply to #107206)

Hi Andre,
Drat! That's a good question. I suspect that there's probably a spectrum of causes and effects, depending on the mind and body of the practicioner. I don't think that the pressure differential itself would have an appreciable effect on the circulatory system-but sometimes it's the unappreciable effects that are important.
I think that perhaps we try to increase our circulation by various nefarious means ( ), it is better to use the generation of muscle tension which increases the demand for oxygen for the energy demands of the muscles, and for the circulation to also become actively involved in removal of carbon dioxide-good old cardio-vascular! It is possible to do this, in my experience, only if you are skilful and strong enough to decelerate movements into postures, which can require great muscular control and strength-it takes a lot more energy, so the heart starts pumping to meet the higher demands.
So i think perhaps that all forms of yoga could benefit from slowing down the movements and not being so dedicated to the postures-it's often the things we miss on the movement that determines the inaccuracies in good posture.

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-09 7:17 PM (#107213 - in reply to #107204)

Expert Yogi

Hey Nick,

There is a HUGE difference in squeezing arteries, cutting off blood supply's to the joints, etc. vs. STIMULATING the organs and the meridian channels pertaining to such organs, joints etc. Yoga/Ayurveda is very similar to the Traditional Chinese Theory regarding the human body system on that level. No way would my doctor literally puncture my heart with a needle to stimulate it. That is why the study of the organs and their related channels are so important. Knowing this is also helpful when trying to comprehend and understand the philosophy of yoga and how it is applied.

The human body is such an intricate, complicated system. At the same time, its very simple. I recently bought a yoga anatomy book, can't remember the author, but he was very popular and famous. I had to return the book, it was totally useless to me. There's so much more to the human body than bones and tissue.

It's very interesting to say the least.

Cheers

Edited by Cyndi 2008-05-09 7:20 PM
Jar
Posted 2008-05-09 9:29 PM (#107214 - in reply to #107180)

Regular

Rant - 2008-05-08 1:17 PM
Yes, I too wonder about the claims about the benefits to the spleen and all that stuff. How do you counter staments like that? I'm just trying to go with the flow.

The more one reads about Bikram the person, the more one disbelieves anything he says. But i do believe in his series. As a spokesman hes flamboyant, but has probably introduced more north americans to yoga than anyone else. So he may be spouting crap, but who cares
Nick
Posted 2008-05-10 6:17 AM (#107222 - in reply to #107213)

Hi Cyndi,
Good point-but with your knowledge if Chinese medicine, and adherence to home practice and self-knowledge, that's very different to most people's and teacher's experience of Bikram or any other from of yoga-or at least I would say fairly unique.

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-10 9:08 AM (#107224 - in reply to #107222)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2008-05-10 6:17 AM

Hi Cyndi,
Good point-but with your knowledge if Chinese medicine, and adherence to home practice and self-knowledge, that's very different to most people's and teacher's experience of Bikram or any other from of yoga-or at least I would say fairly unique.

Nick

True. BUT, isn't that what yoga is suppose to bee??

This is where I think the confusion lies. Firstly, there is nothing wrong with following a teacher, you have to follow some kind of guru's advice and such. There's also a time when you expand beyond that....way beyond. I think you already know that,

As for the anatomy book I returned, it just felt so limiting. I couldn't even allow it into my brain, LOL BUT, I do know that some of it is necessary. From my limited knowledge of it, it's helped somewhat. I'm sure if I put more effort into it, I could be genius. It's a process,

I meant to say earlier. There is no doubt that by doing yoga asana's, it allows the Chi or Prana if you will, to flow. We hold so much in areas of our body's by way of emotions and stuck energy. Sure, exercising is great for helping this...but, the way the asana's are developed, are even better for bending and moving those nitty gritty areas. IMHO, Bikram's series is one of the best for balancing and stretching the human body. It hits all the important areas of the internal organs where energy gets stuck. That is why when you start doing this practice it becomes addicting, it feels good, your body comes alive. BUT, we all sooner or later discover that there has to be a balance with this as well, because we like it so much, we over do it. The key to success is moderation. Yoga is more than just doing the asana's. Although, in today's world, we find so much peace and comfort on our mats because our lives are so out of whack - stressed to the max, that we need to let go and release constantly. I like to spend more time in nature to help with this. It's why I moved to the mountains and started beekeeping, it's my yoga. For every person reading this, you have to discover for yourself what you want to do with all your new found energy. I think its really important to channel it into something meaningful and something that holds value for you in a mindful way. Whether it be giving back to the earth, your children or society..whatever you choose, make it authentic so it will count.
Nick
Posted 2008-05-10 9:55 AM (#107229 - in reply to #107224)

"As for the anatomy book I returned, it just felt so limiting. I couldn't even allow it into my brain, LOL BUT, I do know that some of it is necessary. From my limited knowledge of it, it's helped somewhat. I'm sure if I put more effort into it, I could be genius. It's a process"

Hi Cyndi,
I had the same experience-I think a lot of people that do yoga have also been through this. It's because people don't actually know what to study-you really need a book list, so that the learning is sequential and appropiate. I think also that it takes a number of years to sink in, and that it's actually quite a slog, you have to effectively learn a new language.

Nick
Roy Batty
Posted 2008-05-11 8:07 AM (#107249 - in reply to #107014)

Regular

Nick,

First let me say that I have thouroughly enjoyed your posts and going back over the previous threads to glean some much needed knowlege (even though I am primarelly a "Bikram Head" I get as much satisfaction combing through the Iyengar thread as this one--which is usually a little less combative as well ) . I am greatful for the points of view that you, Cyndi, Tourist and others bring to these forums. That being said, would you care to maybe provide a reading list of books that might further one's knowlege of yoga especially from an anatomical perspective or any other perspective that you would find relavant to the study of yoga? Books that might be a bit off the beaten path as it were in regards to the typical Barnes and Nobles section?

Thanks again for your continued generosity.

~RB
Nick
Posted 2008-05-11 9:33 AM (#107250 - in reply to #107249)

Hi Roy,
Glad to be of any help I can whatsoever. I'm not sure if it would be possible to learn anatomy without a few teachers-but let's say you can do it by yourself-I would imagine it's possible, but it's better for the learning to be directed by experts who pave the way for the student to learn what happens to the human body when it is performing yoga postures. For example, a biomechanical perspective is essential when designing good posture, but the biomechanicist needs an underlying knowledge of bones, muscles, nerves, joints, along with knowledge of what happens in the various organs and cardiovascular system when the asana are performed well, or conversely, poorly.
Let's say I was asked to provide a course for a bunch of students. The object of the course is to supply the students with the necessary information for them to apply yoga asana safely to either themselves or others. Now, I think teaching qualifications are often in the two-year mark, in my opinion they should be three to five years-it takes that long to do a degree, why is yoga so easy that it can be taught in two years? Anyway, back to your question. You might have a bit of a shock when you see how much some of these books cost, I've got some that cost around £100, which is a bit shocking when you are ordering on-line as these are so specialized that most book shops won't sell them, so you can't even smell them before you buy them . Also, different books and different publishers and design talk differently to different readers-you might have to use a bit of trial and error to find out what you like.

I think the first thing is to get one or two good all-round anatomy books, I used 'Principles of antomy and physiology' by Tortora, but there's probably about four or five others that fit the bill.
At this point, you will be cursing for spending money on a book that seems to have no relevance to asana practice-sorry about that-but you need an over-view to understand what to do with structures that are stressed by yoga practice. Over time, this investment is vital.
One book that I would introduce into the syllabus very quickly is 'Anatomy trains' by Thomas Myers. It's the best book in the world at the moment for understanding how the effects of contracting a muscle at one end of the body can effect the muscles in another part of the body. For example, Myers uses the imagery of train lines, the "deep front line," which begins on the cranium, down the neck through the suprahyoid muslces, down through thorax bt the transersus thoracis, onwards through the diaphragm, psoas, adductor, and down the tibialis posterior to the long toe flexors.
There are several of these lines designed by Myers and others, his work is by no means original but it is ground-breaking. It's a scandalous waste of a fantastic resource that this book is not on the teaching reading lists. If you read and unerstand this book, therefore, I can practically guarantee that you will have a greater degree of applied knowledge than is available on any current teaching course. These lines allow you to apply anatomical knowledge to understanding how contracting or lengthening a muscle is responsible for the posture being therapeutic or otherwise. Highly recommended. Perhaps this would be a good starting book, and then other books, and the internet is great for this stuff.
So, maybe start with that and spend a long time digesting it-that way you get to control your posture by by creating tension, whilst 'being flexible' does not guarantee good posture, obviously.
If you like, ask questions and I'll try to answer them-I really don't think it's desirable to take it on all by yourself-too many traps I realize I haven't given a reading list as such-if you like, I'll do a proper one, say for a teaching course-then you've got some idea of what to do if it's done properly. You really need a bright spark for a teacher for this to sink in-I was incredibly fortunate in that I had three bright sparks, can't believe my good luck

Nick
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)