YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your Yoga style?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 6 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-22 7:04 PM (#44543 - in reply to #44540)
Subject: RE: What is your Yoga style?

Expert Yogi

Bruce I have many bhai's...of course you're my bhai. You don't think I just made that up did you?? Like, how many months if not a year have I been telling you BB. Now you want to change it to guru?? I don't think you are ready for that....I'm mean..I'm brutal, hard to handle, a pain in the A$$ to deal with, you sure you want that??? I'll give you a few more months to think it over and then we might talk about it again....but, I have a strange feeling there's some of that manipulation going on here...you sweet talker you,
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-02-22 7:08 PM (#44544 - in reply to #44543)

Ah Cyndi...of course I know I'm your bhai and honored to be so. Similarly of course there's manipulation going on 'cause if I recall, you once told me you enjoyed tormenting me so figured I'd best give you some ammo. OK, gotta go find a mailorder guru school.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-22 7:17 PM (#44546 - in reply to #44544)

Expert Yogi

I can't leave it like this. That guru I had sex with happens to be my husband. So, there you go. BB...it's really fun tormenting you, I always look forward to it!!
tourist
Posted 2006-02-22 7:17 PM (#44547 - in reply to #44489)

Expert Yogi

EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeesh! You guys.......

Sharon - you and I will get along famously. I love words! I mean, who else would even bother to go and look it up to see if she (and I mean me..) had made a mistake in their interpretation Word geek

Spying is a very loaded word and I am glad it was changed. I am not going to look up the old post but it seems we weren't even sure why mish wanted the password in the first place. Maybe the kid forgot it. Wouldn't be the first time.... So yes, it would be good to hear the end of the story, for better or worse.

I have thought about starting a new thread about the various "types" we have on our board and why they are here. We did have an amusing link to someone who had categorized and caricatured a bunch of different online types but it would be fun to look again and see why we each are here and how we contribute. Every online group I have ever belonged to has their types. Me, I am just someone who likes to talk yoga and clearly has too much time on her hands. But we also need the technical folk who will explain anatomy to the cellular level, the philosophers who will quote Nietzsche and Dylan, historians who will quote the Gita, some goofy types who will laugh at anything, some irreverent types who will post photos of anything, and at least one pot stirrer who will keep things hopping. Does that person make life difficult for us? Oh yes! It is how we respond and what we learn from each encounter that matters. Isn't there something in YJ this month about how difficult people are our best teachers? Isn't there a story about monks practicing perfect calm and serenity on top of a mountain being completely freaked out the second their well-practiced but untested patience was disturbed? Like the bean story someone posted recently.... Just remember, these situations will just keep recurring until we learn the lesson they were sent to teach us.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-22 7:20 PM (#44549 - in reply to #44547)

Expert Yogi

Hey Glenda,

Any idea of who that one *pot* stirrer might be,
tourist
Posted 2006-02-22 7:47 PM (#44550 - in reply to #44549)

Expert Yogi

I have heard it said that it takes one to know one

One thing I have to disagree with you on Cyndi is that somewhere you said that you felt most western yogis were not sincere in their practice. I actually think most are sincere, but many could use better guidance. I mean, we try to the very best of our abilities to practice and understand what we are doing, but it is true that we will often fall short of our goals. I do feel some are not sincere or maybe do not know how to or are not ready to do the real work of yoga. We see a lot of them pass through here - "I want to do yoga but...." or ask advice and we give it and they say "yes, but...." Geeta Iyengar says that she gets that all the time, too. The "yes, but..." syndrome. Being rather direct herself, she says "if you don't want ot learn, why do you ask?"

Gotta go teach some yoga!
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-22 8:17 PM (#44552 - in reply to #44022)

Ahhh...back to la-de-da on this thread. Enjoy the peace, serenity and bliss my fellow Yogis and Yoginis. You all deserve this restive as you continue to dig deeper into finding the truths of the 'true' Yoga and your eternal self.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-22 8:23 PM (#44553 - in reply to #44550)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2006-02-22 7:47 PM

I have heard it said that it takes one to know one

One thing I have to disagree with you on Cyndi is that somewhere you said that you felt most western yogis were not sincere in their practice. I actually think most are sincere, but many could use better guidance. I mean, we try to the very best of our abilities to practice and understand what we are doing, but it is true that we will often fall short of our goals.

Funny, Tourist

Yes, I did say something along those lines about sincerity and western yogis and their lack of it. Probably a better way to term that would be to say that because of the lack of experience on the teachers part would be the reason the student is not sincere and/or having difficulty in that department. Which is all the more reason that finding authentic teachers and guru's is extremely important. I know of some really good teachers here in the West, no doubts about that, but there are so many not-so good ones too, and I'm not speaking in terms of being judgmental, I'm speaking of the lack of training and experience these teachers have, your're right, they are doing the best they can with what they know. But as a Yoga aspirant, that is not enough and this is why the Indian guru's say, we are either going up or we are going down. This is creating some really negative karma and it's not good for the teachers to be dragging people along and not being able to give them *Complete* but maybe only one-quarter.

I know that personally for myself, I want a complete practice. Having the grace of the guru is a valuable tool when you start on a path. There are some dark places of the soul and can be pretty scary for someone who does not have a clear understanding of that. Before I learned Hatha yoga, I was in the Tibetan Buddhist Mind Training school. It has been a valuable tool for my practice. Not everyone has that opportunity, but if they had the proper training, I think we in America would outshine the world when it came to our practice. Why?? Because we as Americans do have one good quality about us. We are probably the most compassionate and giving people in the world today as a nation, forget about our President and our Government, I'm talking about the people. Look at what we have sacrificed for our freedom, and look at what we have done to create a free society so we can practice yoga and have a comfortable life to do it with. It's not a perfect science and it needs much tweeking, but we have an opportunity and that is what ALL of the Asian Yogi's know for sure about. I guess that would be the main reason most countries want to be like us, for that very reason.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-22 9:35 PM (#44561 - in reply to #44530)

Expert Yogi

Bruce - 2006-02-22 6:48 PM

Cyndi, Cyndi, Cyni...I'm shocked: "I had sex with one of my guru's" JUDGE ME NOW. It was the best sex I ever had...nothing in this world could touch it..period."

Looks like I need to take some guru lessons cause I don't want you missing out on the best possible....just doesn't seem fair.

Brother Bruce, and Sister Cyndi, let's remember our brahmacharya. It's one thing
thing to pursue a tantric goal of liberation or to fulfill our duty as householders,
and quite another to....uhmmm.. . .... ... you're supposed to
exercise restraint in such matters, rather than wallowing in the opportunity to
become a guru and take advantage of the people who come for enlightenment!

<<<<< === bg === >>>>>>>

Kym
Posted 2006-02-22 10:03 PM (#44568 - in reply to #44022)

I've been lurking for a few days and decided to jump right into the fire and reply here as my first post.

To answer the original Q: I teach in noisy gyms. I do use music, mostly Gabrielle Roth & the Mirrors. I try to keep it low key. When I practice at home, I use any kind of music, but I do bounce sometimes and find that distracting. I have taken a few classes where the instructor didn't use music, and it made me uncomfortable, but I got used to it and started to like how it made me focus. Someday I imagine I'll teach & practice that way at home, but for now, I'm not ready and neither are the gym members as far as I can tell. I realize I'm teaching western yoga. I know I have not "arrived", but for now I imagine that I am a vehicle for people to move on into deeper practice. By that I mean, out of a noisy gym with 40 people in a class and into a quiter enviroment. I myself am chomping at the bit to try more and more and learn more and more. But, it took me a long time. For a long time, I was perfectly happy learning in a noisy gym.

Cyndi hit the nail on the head about teachers being sent out into the world too early and without support from a teacher-at least that is true for me. I DID exactly come here for advice b/c I hit a brick wall when I tried to get advice from my Yoga Fit teachers. No answer. But I am here with sincereity to learn.

If you haven't figured it out, I am new to teaching. I am only beginning my journey but I know I will evolve in ways I can't even imagine. I have been practicing for 6 years, but only started training to teach in '04 and began teaching in late '05. I am only now honestly feeling like I am making a higher connection to yoga. However, it's American Yoga and I'm ok with that as I'm an American, living in America, and teaching Americans. It may change, and it may not. I am open to either senerio (sticking with western or striving for eastern.) For now I am grateful for what I have received so far and look forward to a lifetime of learning, and hopefully teaching.

Ok, be kind. This is my first post.

Kim

Edited by Kym 2006-02-22 10:07 PM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-22 10:09 PM (#44570 - in reply to #44568)

Kym -
I do use music, mostly Gabrielle Roth & the Mirrors.

I just downloaded a couple of their songs recently for my custom Yoga CD.

Welcome, by the way!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-22 10:20 PM (#44572 - in reply to #44568)

Expert Yogi

Hey Kym,

It's nice to meet you and I think its wonderful that you have the openness to see what's going on in our yoga society. Perhaps the Yoga Fit experience was suppose to be and was just a stepping stone to something greater. The fact that you keep plugging away definitely means that you are sincere and as long as you are, more and more doors will open for you to have a greater and more vast experience. When you shut yourself off with a closed mind then the doors close, you then get trapped and that is a very difficult place to be. I think as time goes by this is going to be the new trend. The good news is that there are people out there, like myself, that have been the pioneers and have paved the way so that people such as yourself can find the key to get out of such a trap, which is really an illusion, but if you've ever been there, you know what kind of scary and awful dark place that can be. It a terrible feeling to be left out in the cold when you thought you were on the right path to something so wonderful and beneficial for yourself in every way. It's also a terrible feeling to think that you are alone and no support and relief in sight. But that too is a delusion and such a tragedy. Especially in these difficult times we face.

Good luck with your endeavors. Take care,

Cyndi
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-22 10:52 PM (#44575 - in reply to #44561)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2006-02-22 9:35 PM

Brother Bruce, and Sister Cyndi, let's remember our brahmacharya. It's one thing
thing to pursue a tantric goal of liberation or to fulfill our duty as householders,
and quite another to....uhmmm.. . .... ... you're supposed to
exercise restraint in such matters, rather than wallowing in the opportunity to
become a guru and take advantage of the people who come for enlightenment!

BBG, we're just having some fun....trying to lighten or livening up this joint. Besides, I think it would be kinda hard to practice that kinda asana on my laptap...it might break or cause me to do something that would land me in a heap of trouble. I'm past my quota for the month in the trouble dept. and this week almost cost me dearly.......I can't wait till Sunday, Om Nama Shivia Shiva Shiva...
tourist
Posted 2006-02-23 1:14 AM (#44578 - in reply to #44568)

Expert Yogi

Welcome Kym - you ARE a brave soul Ask anything. We're here for you
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-23 1:20 AM (#44579 - in reply to #44550)

tourist - 2006-02-22 7:47 PM
We see a lot of them pass through here - "I want to do yoga but...." or ask advice and we give it and they say "yes, but...." Geeta Iyengar says that she gets that all the time, too. The "yes, but..." syndrome. Being rather direct herself, she says "if you don't want ot learn, why do you ask?"

Gotta go teach some yoga!

"Yes, but" is one of the fun little games people like to play. Generally it's complemented by a couple of wonderful rounds of "I'm only trying to help you". There's also the lovely "Look how hard I'm trying".....
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-23 2:20 AM (#44580 - in reply to #44022)

>Cyndi - The good news is that there are people out there, like myself, that have been the pioneers and have paved the way so that people such as yourself can find the key to get out of such a trap, which is really an illusion, but if you've ever been there, you know what kind of scary and awful dark place that can be.

Welcome Kym, I hope the above quote will provide you with some comfort that this forum will not bog you down with ego, delusions of grandeur, false claims, over-bearing opinions and useless chatter.

If you are interested, there was a short discussion on Yoga Fit Teacher on this site. Plug this URL into your browser to get there.

http://yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19545&start=1

Posted 2006-02-23 9:31 AM (#44591 - in reply to #44415)

dhanurasana,

i think that you make some good points, and i actually agree with them to a certain extent. but not absolutely.

certainly, there are times when i think some of the 'stuff' out there isn't 'really yoga'--but i don't feel that 'yoga needs to be defended' so much as we do have a responsibility to educate people as to what yoga is, how it works, and all of that--real truth in marketing.

one of the problems that i see with a friend of mine who owns a studio is that he does this flip-flopping on the marketing. he wants bodies in the studio so badly, and he's working from a place of fear. if someone comes in or calls and says "what kind of yoga do you offer?" he'll ask them a few key questions to find out what they're looking for, and then explain how the yoga that he teaches fits--even if it doesn't really.

so, one minute, he'll tell a person that the yoga that he teaches is grounded in spiritual teachings and that these teachings are taught in class, and then two minutes later, he'll tell another person that there's no spiritual component at all in the classes, that it's mostly a 'new form' of callestenics. And i wonder--dude, what are you offering?

like most yoga teachers, i have to market myself. well, i don't have to--as most of my clients now come by word-of-mouth, but nevertheless. . .. Anyway, i do some marketing. And that which i do is specific. I talk about how i start with asana--with focus on alignment--so that people can begin to access the body in new ways, and develop a new awareness of themselves through this. once the basics of asana alignment are gained, we begin to move into the more esoteric spaces in the teaching. Yet, with this explaination, i often explain that the classes include esoteric elements, but most people won't necessarily 'hear' them over the chatter of their body-minds until they get a handle on the asana part. I do readings at the end of each class, pranayama, chanting, prayer. I talk about the energy body in the movement (chakras, etc), and i talk about the history and philosophy behind postures that lead to other ideas related to the yamas/niyamas.

i think that music, incense, candles--these things are ambiance. they may or may not be helpful. certainly, they cna be distractions--and i'm very mindful of this. they're certainly not necessary to yoga. neither are props such as yoga mats, or 'yoga clothing.' i often practice yoga in whatever i'm wearing (which is commonly jeans). I'm amazed that there are people who pay $100 for a pair of 'yoga pants.' and they're cute pants, don't get me wrong. but dude, a hundred bucks?! wow. All of these things can be distractions.

There are times where i have to explain this to students. I get "my other teacher" or "when i went to X studio." I say, that sounds lovely, but it's not necessary to yoga. why not strive to be present right now, rather than distracted by music? and then we continue. And, that student either comes back, or doesn't. Sometimes, people want the ambiance. I'm ok with that. When they're ready to embrace yoga for yoga, they'll come back or find the right teacher for them.

Posted 2006-02-23 9:44 AM (#44593 - in reply to #44450)

tourist:

ZB - I have always had visions of your keyboard smoking as you type I took drama in jr. high instead of typing. Who knew we would all be living on our keyboards by now back in 1968?

LOL! i had to take typing in 7th grade, on an old type writer. i wasn't so great at it. I didn't learn to type until i got to college, and started chatting. i'm pretty good now. i don't even look at the keyboard. it's funny, because my dad is a 'hunt and peck' typist, so i told him to start chatting. he gets online with my sister and I--he can hardly keep up. We tell him, keep practicing, you'll get as fast as us. he says listening to us type is amazing. LOL he's pretty sure that our keyboards are worn out--it's actually true. my "e" doesn't have any more ink on it. i just know it's the 'e.'

I absolutely understand why people teach in gyms (but why the heck are they so dirty??)

because the rooms are multi-purpose. the rooms are generally used not only for other fitness classes, but also for general use by gym members for floor work, ball work, or their own 'self styled' aerobics class. this means that people are wearing shoes. generally, these people wear these shoes to the gym--that means outside. Outside means dirt and stuff is carried into the room.

while the floors in the gyms are usually mopped once a day, i have asked the gyms to sweep just before yoga class. only one of the three actually do this. if i can get there early enough, i'll sweep it myself. but, this is generally why the rooms are dirty--a lot of uses and a lot of shoes.

And ZB, I think we know that you in particular will pretty much never choose the path of least resistance!

it's true. i like an effort. i feel like i'm earning something that way--and i'm challenged to be creative and learn about myself and see what i can handle. teaching is a learning experience for me too--and often a tough lesson. but i'll go anywhere i think there's something that i can offer and something that i need to learn. if the room isn't 'ideal' then that's ok. i can work with it to make it workable.

i figure that very rarely is everything perfect, and that that's ok. it's ok to be imperfect and to work with what you have. i tell students that all the time. you don't have to be flexible, right? you just have to show up and put yourself out there. You accept what you can't change, and you work with what you can. I can't necessarily change the gym, and certainly i could avoid working at them, but i have really cool, awesome clients at a lot of gyms--and quite frankly i don't want to leave them. I like working with them, and many of them choose the gym for a variety of reasons and don't go to studios because of the extra expense. maybe it's an 'unhealthy' attachment, and i'll look at that.

but i think it's ok to love my students too.

Posted 2006-02-23 9:57 AM (#44596 - in reply to #44452)

cyndi:

i'm totally with you here: "So, these people that go around hugging for no reason, I try not to waste my time, I avoid it. I would rather hug trees, Now days, I don't have to hug, I can feel that person's vibration and you intuitively know. But, If I want a hug, I'll certainly go and do it!!"

i tend to avoid hugging in general. there is a lot of 'emotional vampire' stuff going on, and that's not healthy for anyone. But, there are times when i feel compelled to give a Hug (in the very real sense you described with your mom, etc), and times when i want to recieve a hug. In the second case, i'm picky about it. I usually turn to a family member (close). Empty hugs are the worst.

And i do hug trees. powerful beings, those.

i'm not sure what you mean by this: "I will say this is not Catholism and its not Sunday School Class."

from my experience of sunday school, i will say that sunday school barely scratches the surface of catholicism, much like yoga classes (in the US and in many other places) barely scratches the surface of yoga. They are alike, in that they are based in a central truth or idea--housed in different rituals, languages, and cosmologies. They are alike in that there are many ways to attain that highest goal (union with God/nondual state, whatever you want to call it), within the given 'house' of the practices (catholicism or yoga). But, ultimately it's up to the individual to go deeper, beyond the sunday school class, beyond the ritual, and into the deeper experience of self with/into Self.

my point was that ultimately, a person will seek out the deeper levels when they're ready. there's nothing to defend from these people--they'll find it. And, until they're ready, there's no way to 'defend' the truth because they can't see it, aren't ready for it yet.

i agree that there are those in the world who are 'defenders of faith.' in christianity, they're called apologists. i always found that interesting. i'm not surprised that other faith practices have similar individuals. largely, though, these are for 'in house' functions--largely for teachers to follow or to set up general structures of faith and practice. it is my understanding--from my experience within both buddhism and yoga (hinduism predominently, though some jainism), that individuals who hold the same functions in these traditions function similarly. it's predominently for those who are within, who are seeking deeper and who are teaching. Sunday school yoga classes are not necessarily subject in the same sense--because of the understanding that these are introductions.

there are, of course, yoga teachers who are 'within' and who are subject to these specific defenders of faith. and, as a yoga teacher, i take it very seriously to stick to the tradition as much as i possibly can, relying on the scriptures, texts, and interpretations from specific lineages, as to maintain a connection with that dharma and those 'dharma protectors.' but, i also don't expect my clients to embrace all of it, and if they have their own lesson or interpretation, i'm not going to get into an argument with them. When they want more, i'll point them in the direction that i've taken--and they can take that path on their own (find their own gurus, etc).

I would be interested in more of your thoughts on this matter, if you can refrain from personal attacks against specific faith practices and individuals.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-23 10:20 AM (#44598 - in reply to #44596)

zoebird - 2006-02-23 9:57 AM

i'm totally with you here: "So, these people that go around hugging for no reason, I try not to waste my time, I avoid it. I would rather hug trees, Now days, I don't have to hug, I can feel that person's vibration and you intuitively know. But, If I want a hug, I'll certainly go and do it!!"

i tend to avoid hugging in general. there is a lot of 'emotional vampire' stuff going on, and that's not healthy for anyone. But, there are times when i feel compelled to give a Hug (in the very real sense you described with your mom, etc), and times when i want to recieve a hug. In the second case, i'm picky about it. I usually turn to a family member (close). Empty hugs are the worst.

Not a big fan of hugging either, particulary not with strangers. I hug family members, and a couple of really close friends I've known for years.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-23 10:26 AM

Posted 2006-02-23 10:28 AM (#44599 - in reply to #44022)

i finally finished the rest of the pages.

i will say that i find it very interesting when people feel attacked. like cyndi said, often in the last three pages, she isn't necessarily judging anyone--but rather making observations (and then generalized statements to express these observations). I feel that i'm doing the same thing, but often Cyndi may feel attacked by me. For example, i made a mental connection between the language of fundamental christians that i used to deal with frequently and the language that cyndi used as well. it wasn't a judgement of cyndi, but really an observation of language. i tried to extract it from the original context/poster as an example of this sort of observational quality. i certainly hope that cyndi didn't take it personally, as it wasn't meant to be a judgement.

i also was like tourist when i read the statement about our yoga practices not being sincere. i then was relieved to see the explaination about yoga teachers not being experienced, not being intuitive, not being trained enough to deal with certain things (physically or otherwise) as they arise. I certainly agree with this very general observation, as well as the specific caveats regarding how there are american teachers who are sincere, connected, intuitive, whatever. Whether or not Cyndi would put me in that category is irrelevant. I feel like i'm there, and i feel like many of us on this board who are teachers are this as well--or striving to be this.

we bring a lot of different perspectives and experiences to our yoga practice. i frequently tell people that you don't have to be hindu/buddhist to practice yoga effectively. yoga practices (meditation, asana, etc) are spiritual disciplines--they transcend all religions. All spiritual disciplines do--prayer, scriptural study and debate/discussion, rituals, etc. I think it's possible to be a very sincere yogin while practicing in the context of Islam. the same is true of any religion--IMO.

sometimes, i feel as if some individuals on the board do not believe this. i feel that their language comes off as 'holier than thou' because they do go to hindu places or know many hindus. it seems that anyone else's spiritual experiences from non-eastern traditions are completely considered meaningless or immature. and if those non-eastern traditions are upheld and practiced with the same sincerity and openness of heart as when that person moves in eastern circles as well, that that person's experiences of the eastern traditions are considered immature too.

i agree that it's possible to have a debate on many of the issues of yoga teaching in america today--and be 'harsh' or 'heated' but without personal attacks (or seeming personal attacks) or cruel intentions. This is what makes it possible for people to debate and still be friends. I have many people with whom i debate any number of scriptures (it's one of my favorite disciplines), and we are very close spiritual friends. I certainly know that it's possible. I think it's important and i value it highly.

but i also value being seen as an equal. in quakerism, there's a phrase that 'no one person has cornered the market on truth.' this leads to the idea that any individual, in any context, can have a good handle on the Truth, regardless of whether or not the language between religious contexts agrees. it's avery egalitarian concept. it's one that i find to be strikingly true in many ways.

when i was able to let go of heirarchy (of yoga, buddhism, catholicism, etc), and engage people as potential teachers, of other sources of truth and teachings--regardless of their age, religion, sex, location, etc--it really opened up a lot of my learning. I began to teach yoga differently too--realizing that my clients were bringing a lot to the table before they even knew one thing about yoga. They had their experiences of life, of their faith, of their spirits, that were already vibrantly informed. And they have a language for that. And they can share it.

So, that 9 yr old kid that i teach, he has so much to offer me in terms of truth, of dharma, and of his spirit experience. i have never given him a 'western hug'--but i say that as i guide him in asana to help him heal his back and teach him the sanskrit (his favorite part--he also loves mantra) and help him with his school problems through giving the example of the yamas/niyamas, he gives me the benefit of his spirit-experience and wisdom, his truth and dharma--and this is a great gift. he can be, in that moment, my guru.

and i value that.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-23 10:30 AM (#44601 - in reply to #44596)

Expert Yogi

Great stuff ZB. I think the fact is that anyone who is immersed in some tradtion of anything (some musical family who has been taught in a direct line from some famous musician, a herbalist who has been taught for 50 years by an ancient herbalist - I can't seem to work my usual knitting analogy in here...) will find a newcomer's attempts to seem a bit pathetic. And if the newcomer is trying to be self-taught or following a teacher who is not as accomplished, they will appear pretty laughable. BUT I think they would tend to either simply disregard the sad beginner and get on with their own work or, if they see promise in that individual, give their own teachings without disparaging the work the person has done in the past. I am liking this analogy of musicians actually. They tend to have an attitude of "its all good" and accept each other where they are and if they resonate for some reason, they just get in the groove and go with it. They ignore posers and hacks and simply give NO energy to them, but the bright young kid who knows nothing but is working his brains out trying to keep up and looks like he might one day be able to do it - they give him more and more energy in teaching and opportunties to perform and guide him to be their successor.

ZB and I used to be on a board that became more and more "what video should I use for a killer workout?" conversations. There was sadly little conversation about yoga there anymore. I stopped answering any questions about dvds, stopped giving advice for advanced asanas to people who clearly didn't have a clue (or responded to my advice with "yes but...") and eventually left. I can't put my energy there anymore. Yes, I know they will get some poor advice, yes, I know someone will maybe miss an opportunity to learn more by reading something earth shaking that I might have posted but this is the way it is. There will be some who stick with yoga, either being inspired from the dvd's or a gym yoga class and they will seek out deeper teaching in whatever way is appropriate for them. I don't disparage them - it is all yoga - but I don't have energy to talk to them so I have left the board.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-23 10:52 AM (#44604 - in reply to #44599)

Expert Yogi

Hey Zoebird,

I didn't feel attacked by you, but I did feel when you said let's have a conversation further (about whatever it is you wanted to discuss further 4 posts ago??,) but without the personal attacks...that you wanted a *controlled* discussion and I'm not sure if I can live up to those expectations and that criteria...how will you ever understand me if I don't give it to you completely, therefore, I will have to decline any further discussion. Unless you can stay really open about it and we will have to do it by email because I am no longer going to use my PM feature on this forum, because I feel like I am no longer safe here and feel somewhat violated. Which BTW, my posts in the future will be very limited and I am considering making a slow exit off this forum due to my life is going to move into a different direction...possibly overseas, but we shall see. With laptops so freely available these days, that may not be an option, and I might just get stuck here forever, seeing how I would miss some of you guys

Zoebird, I'm not putting anyone in any category, unless I specifically tell you so. I don't know of any way to be. This is how all my guru's speak to their students...it's all general...we are ALL one, we come from the same maker so whatever is say includes us ALL!! We cannot seperate ourselves and say, "I don't do that, or I've never done that". I think that is a big lie and is pure denial. Somewhere on our path if we were to get downright dirty and honest withourselves, we would KNOW this truth about ourselves and not be so sensitive and possibly more understanding of one another. This includes being a little bit more understanding of someone like me who is extremely outspoken and brave enough to tell you the truth rather than a lie. We all have fallen under some kind of umbrella/category, per se, at some point of our path. My journey has been more about liberating myself OUT of these so-called organizations and yes, religious ones here in America too...I suppose that could be why so many feel attacked by me. Don't think for one minute that I don't sympathyze or haven't been there myself. If I hadn't been there, I would not have a right to talk about it as if I did, at least that is how I feel about that.

Anyway, Zoebird, we may have had the same 7th grade typing teacher...she was very old fashioned and I had her for homeroom...therefore, I have been with keyboards myself for a long time. Course, I'm not sure if mine was still alive when you were coming along...but who knows. She was a short lady, with short hair and black rimmed glasses. She walked around with a ruler and she didn't mind using it,

Posted 2006-02-23 11:09 AM (#44606 - in reply to #44604)

cyndi:

the post four posts or whatever ago was written before the last, obviously, and when i'd finished, i couldn't edit it--you know the time frames. it's not so much that i want a 'controlled' conversation, but that at the time of writing, there was a lot of language and definitions on both ends about what were and were not attacks and what not.

like you, i'm greatly interested in mine (and others) process of liberation. i think that we have similarities in spiritual practice too--as in we both will go where ever we feel it is right for us to be at the time. That may mean this temple, or that buddhist center, or this lecture given by this or that teacher (from whatever tradition). In a way, it's a perspective that you're free of the religion itself, but also able to take the best of it. This is how i feel about all religion.

i take an approach that we are all one, and that there's also one central idea that all religions, and all spirit-experience-in-body-form points to (and is an aspect of). but, there is also differentiation--we are separate bodies, separate spirit experiences, separate religious contexts or whatever. It is both--it is inclusive and integrative. I think the problems come when we either only associate with one. In the first case, if we associate only with the idea that 'we're all one' then this can fall into the trap of 'it's all good' and i'm pretty certain that with constructive criticism of teachers being inexperienced, etc, it's a strong indication that 'it isn't all good.' But, an extreme 'we're all one' approach says that it is 'all good' when it isn't. And, on the flip side, if we say that the differentiation is most important (my religion/body/society/etc is better than all others), then we run into the problem of not seeing the core unity between these groups.

So, i think it's ok to have both, to see both. It's true, of course, that i am both--both inexperienced and errant as a teacher but also sincere and good at what i do. I'm not either one, specificly. I'm truly both--so i can fit into both categories. And to say that i don't is a lie either way. but, if someone's going to offer me constructive criticism--which i highly value--then it does need to be specific to me, and not coming from a point of generalization. you know?

i think my concern, as well, in the 'this isn't catholicism and it isn't catholic school' was a fear that i would be put down again, and so would something that i value. i find it hurtful when people tell me that to value this--as i value yoga, etc--is immature, wrong, bad, or a misinterpretation of something else. I admit that it can be these things (again, pointing to that both/and scenario), but it may also not be these things, or isn't these things categoricly.

you can be 'honest' with me, but sometimes i feel that your posts come across as mean-spirited. i see from the continuing discussion that this is often not your intention or desire. you feel that you're 'saying it like it is'--Dr Phil style i guess--and i understand that that may be exactly 'how it is' for you, but not necessarily 'how it is' for anyone else, me included. Of course, returning to both/and--it's how it is for both of us (both of our perspectives is both how it is, and how it isn't).

you know what, i don't remember my seventh grade typing teacher. i only remember typing class. that's strange.

Posted 2006-02-23 11:13 AM (#44607 - in reply to #44601)

tourist:

i found the same perspective in rock climbing, and in quakerism. that concept of if the person is sincerely interested and shows up, then those who are experienced will definately help them out.

i'm actually like this with a lot of yoga teachers. there are a number of yoga teachers in our area who are self-taught from beginning to end (home practice, teahcing, etc). there are a number who take one hour or weekend workshops to become teachers. it's quite surprising. whenever i meet them (and it's frequent), i offer to help them in any way that i can. But, i dn't go out of my way for it. If the teacher wants to learn, then i'm there. Some have taken me up on the offer, some haven't. but, i think it's important to offer myself to them, as a resource, should they want it.

it is similar to the other board. you have to be mindful where you put your energies.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 6 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)