YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your Yoga style?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-23 11:35 AM (#44610 - in reply to #44606)
Subject: RE: What is your Yoga style?

Expert Yogi

Thank for clearing that up Zoebird. I think I'm going to sit back and let you take over this thread, I'm tired and I think I've said everything I need to say about this subject. I need to concentrate on this weekend's Mahashivaratri events. It's going to be really intense and I need to keep my wits about me.

For what its worth, I sincerely hope that the time I spent on this particular thread benefited someone...if only one person could relate to some of the things I said, then I am happy. If everyone else is bent out of shape, then I am truly sorry. I sincerely hope that whatever conflict arose from my comments, can be overcome and may you have a positive experience in all your future endeavors. Take care,

Sincerely,

Cyndi
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-23 12:26 PM (#44621 - in reply to #44610)

Expert Yogi

Here is a little something I found this morning. I want to share it with you because I felt it was extremely profound and related to this thread in a small subtle way of course.

No matter what is projected at you by another, only forgive yourself. Once done, your forgiveness will radiate out as joy and gratitude. No one can withstand the pure power of joy.

We can only be insulted to the degree that we are afraid of dying; we can only be harmed to the degree that we call harm upon others through our misunderstanding of who we are, why we are here and how we were derived. It is important to understand that you are first a Soul and capable of joy even in the face of the worst adversity; Jesus exampled this as he allowed the Romans to flagellate his body. The HH Dalai Lama and the Tibetans have certainly been a fine example of this as well.

No one can influence us unless we give them that authority.

Posted 2006-02-23 12:37 PM (#44623 - in reply to #44022)

thanks for sharing that Cyndi. i'm glad, too, that communication--in general--was clearer in the previous post to you.

i don't know if there's anything to take over, really. it's just a discussion, no?
shnen
Posted 2006-02-23 2:34 PM (#44645 - in reply to #44022)

Well now that it seems it's ok to post again (I didn't want to get involved in whatever that was, still being fairly new and all)...

I use music to help my students focus. It takes away many distractions, I don't use "top 40" stuff - I use really nice and meditative mantras, chants or just music with no vocals. The students I teach are very beginner to intermediate, and while I call the poses in sanskrit, do some meditative work and always try to enstill the Yamas and the Niyamas in them while the class is going, they are really there to get away to relax and to do yoga, whatever it means to them. It is a break from daily living. If, by chance someday I have a studio of my own - by all means I will teach various different types of classes... all are still me and my teaching style.

Sometimes I light candles on cold nights to enstill a warmth in the room, and the lights dimmed ... and I use incense very lightly just to add a scent that could be a tad more favourable to other scents that could be left from a previous class.

That's just me, I want to try to bring in as much as I can of authentic asana yoga - but I also want to be able to have people come out and understand it in our western society.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-23 6:02 PM (#44673 - in reply to #44022)

>Shannon - Well now that it seems it's ok to post again

It's kind of pathetic that a person would need be wary about posting to a Yoga site, but there you have it.

I like the candles, incense, music and all the other trappings of 'Americanized' yoga but also practice Yoga with none of that. And I definitely like the friendliness of that type of Yoga.

So keep your studio and teaching welcoming and open.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-23 6:19 PM (#44675 - in reply to #44673)

Jambo - 2006-02-23 6:02 PM

>Shannon - Well now that it seems it's ok to post again

It's kind of pathetic that a person would need be wary about posting to a Yoga site, but there you have it.

It's not that I was wary - I just didn't want to get involved. Far too many times I have had what I type taken the wrong way. People need to step back and see that message boards are a very hard way to communicate - with lack of expression and tone things can easily be misconstrued.

Anyway, using different tools bring different experiences... sometimes using music and incense can be annoying... I use my intuition and the feel of the room and the students who show up to determine what gets done.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-23 6:43 PM (#44676 - in reply to #44022)

>Shannon - It's not that I was wary

I'm so happy for that. So good to see other 'takes' on Yoga styles.
Kym
Posted 2006-02-23 7:35 PM (#44682 - in reply to #44022)

Thanks for the links to the YogaFit debate. The stance that it sent teachers out too soon really resonated with me. After I did my 8 hours, I subbed for awhile, but quit. I felt so inadequate & it felt disrespectful to yoga. Several months went by and the inner voice kept bugging me to get back to it-I really do love yoga. I then signed up for Level 2 and felt a lot better after completing it. We worked on adjustments and chakras. I felt more prepared. I'm signed up for Level 3 in the spring. I do plan on finishing the program and getting Alliance certified. (And by the way, since I practiced for so many years before training, I did know what Namaste meant, but I do remember them teaching it, lol!)

It's interesting what some of the threads brought up-how some people hate Yogafit so much that they wouldn't hire or take a class from a YF person. Even though that is my technical training, I teach from the heart, strive to learn everything I can, and take care of my class. Not to toot my own horn, but they would be missing out by passing me by! I realize I have a lot more to learn, but I feel good enough now to teach and be respectful to yoga. I don't teach things I don't feel very comfortable/safe with at this point. Further down the road, I'll teach headstands and such, but not until I'm 100% comfortable with my training.

But, to tell the truth, I'd take classes first at someone's studio, get to know them and they me, before ever considering applying. By then, my training would not be an issue. The reason I say this? I asked a studio woman if I could possibly be on her sub list (I was there taking my daughter to a kid yoga class), she asked about my training, I told her YF and she looked horrified! Quite funny, really. She said they did NOT teach YF at their studio. I don't really teach YF, so right then and there I decided to never apply someplace until they knew me. I believe my love of yoga comes through when I practice.

I posted this here b/c the other YF threads were so old. I just wanted to say, I agree with both views-YF has been good for me, but it has its limitations. I plan to use the training to my benefit, but also to train elsewhere when I'm finished. I imagine I'll train all of my life.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-23 8:52 PM (#44688 - in reply to #44022)

You seem right on track. Follow your heart and training and don't let Yoga zealots deflect you from your path.
Kym
Posted 2006-02-23 9:45 PM (#44695 - in reply to #44022)

Thanks.

Posted 2006-02-23 10:15 PM (#44703 - in reply to #44695)

Seems like it's the person not the training--witness Kym from a YogaFit background. There are several Bikram teachers on this board who took the good from the training as well and refuse to take every utterance as truth. Ah, folks like that give me hope...now if I can just get 'em to vote Republican...
Piel
Posted 2006-02-23 10:18 PM (#44705 - in reply to #44022)

Forum Administrator

OK people - As you know, I don't post much, yet read most things and INTENTIONALLY let this beautiful community run its own path. I know things got a little testy recently. Let's all please take a step back, think about why we all come to this place on the Internet - especially when there are so many choices out there - and always make sure we value and RESPECT everyone's contributions. I have spoken to a number of you on this matter in the last couple of days and have shared my thoughts with each of you. Let's remember why we are here and move on together.

I hate having to use my admin buttons and have no intentions to freeze threads or ban people.....yet. I am confident none of you will make me regret that decision.

Namaste to all.

Piel
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-23 10:20 PM (#44706 - in reply to #44703)

Bruce - 2006-02-23 10:15 PM
now if I can just get 'em to vote Republican...

And carry guns? I'd like to see some pistol packing yogis!

Posted 2006-02-23 10:40 PM (#44707 - in reply to #44706)

hahah--when I used to go to Bikram on my Harley, I'd ask 'em to lock my revolver up during class--they didn't like me much there...and the feeling was mutual.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-24 7:27 AM (#44726 - in reply to #44022)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for your contributions, Kym. I too am YogaFit trained (levels 1 & 2). It wasn't my first teacher training (I am Bikram certified as well but no longer teach it, mainly b/c I can't take that hot room anymore.) I really liked both of my YogaFit trainers- both had really good qualifications. I'm planning to take Level 3 also, either in the spring or summer.

I teach other forms of group exercise and at the moment am only teaching one regular yoga class, but I really love yoga and it's one of my favorite classes to teach. I think as long as we're all teaching from the heart, teaching what we know and always striving to learn more that we never have to make excuses for our teaching styles or backgrounds.

Welcome to yoga.com!
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-24 7:28 AM (#44727 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

Hey Kym, I love Gabriel Roth & the Mirrors. I find their music hypnotic. If you like them, you should check out some of Anugama's music, especially Shamanic Dream I & II.
P.S. Kym, stay on path and follow your heart. You know your true intentions.

Just to answer a question here about my son/computer, well I obtained the password from him. I wanted to check out his myspace and a lot of children were making their profiles private. As it turned out, all the kids are good children. They're doing the basic 11-12 year old thing but nothing more. For those who might think this is spying, I'll accept that label. I'd like to think of myself as a concerned and involved parent. Being familiar with the law firsthand, I know how fast things could spiral out of control in the case of something happening to a child. I would like to know where my child is, who they are socializing with, and with whom they are speaking to on the internet. As I stated, they're all good kids.

I'm glad this thread stayed. It is interetsing to see all participate in a subject that can illicit such strong emotions. We are all adults and should be able and can behave in a manner that is complimentary to our beliefs. I respect everyone's opinion as I hope all will respect mine. Thanks for all your input (to all of you)

OK, off to class!!!!

Peace!!
Mishy

Edited by mishoga 2006-02-24 7:29 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 9:02 AM (#44729 - in reply to #44727)

Expert Yogi

Mishoga,

Thanks for telling us about your son's Myspace. For what its worth, my 13 year old daughter is on myspace and so am I. There are some really cool yoga groups and ayurveda, etc, there - even Bikram. Guess what, the Bikram people are really cool and friendly. I like it because there are a great many diverse types of folks there. I also like the part because there is more freedom and if you act ugly to someone...you just sap them out of your life by using the Block feature or you can delete your friends if you don't like them anymore. I like a world that is SELF Governing. Then if they really want to be your friend, you can later accept them back. I monitor my daughters profile and activity all the time. I don't ask for her password though, I just sit with her while she's surfing around and she actually shows me how to manouver around in the joint. She also does all this funky stuff with my profile using all these secret codes..I'm like WTF?? How did you learn that and WOW!! She's a genius. As for the kids being on there....Frankly, if you talk to your kids about good behavior and the RULES (Yes, we do have so rules) then everything goes smooth and we don't have to worry about predators. In fact, I doubt a predator would last long around my daugther, they couldn't handle it. For kids, there's another great safe place for chatting called Neo Pets if anyone is interesting in knowing that. Then of course, I think most kids have AIM. I like that one better cause I get so tired of my land line phone being tied up,
shnen
Posted 2006-02-24 9:25 AM (#44731 - in reply to #44022)

Ok - I have to ask - what is this MySpace thing? I used to be a techie - really! ;)
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 9:30 AM (#44733 - in reply to #44731)

Expert Yogi

Click on my little red myspace and take a looksee.. It's another world on the internet....a great big giant new world...for connecting and just doing whatever. You can set up pics of yourself and whatever else you like to do. You may not be able to view everything on my profile unless you set up an account and then I have to accept you as a friend to be able to view certain items and make comments to me.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-24 9:54 AM (#44737 - in reply to #44707)

Bruce - 2006-02-23 10:40 PM

hahah--when I used to go to Bikram on my Harley, I'd ask 'em to lock my revolver up during class--they didn't like me much there...and the feeling was mutual.

I've been the Texas. I was pretty sure that anybody who wasn't armed was considered a tourist.

While I was traveling through Texas I was pulled over. At the time I was moving from Florida to Californa, so I had everything I owned in a rented truck plus my old car. Anyway, I was lost, and accidentally tried to cross the border into Mexico. Before letting me turn around, they asked to search the truck, which I had no problems with.

While they were searching the truck I was talking to one of the officers. He was being pretty friendly, so I explained that I was moving across the country, etc. Anyway he asks pretty casually if I owned a gun. I said no, and he looked over at me as says "You're traveling alone, with everything you own in a truck, right along the Mexican border, and you DON'T have a gun?" Absolutely floored him.

I actually have one fire arm in my name, but don't really own any. I've got no problem with guns, I just don't have much interest in them, and they're expensive and potentially dangerous. My father's got quite a collection, and sometimes we go shooting, though I like yoga better.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of guns don't kill people, people kill people.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-24 10:12 AM (#44745 - in reply to #44727)

Expert Yogi

mish - thanks for the update. It is great that you were able to get the password from your sone and I presume you explained to him why you wanted to look around and how it was about keeping him safe etc. I am so glad my kids were that age back when the internet was relatively young - I would be pretty nervous nowadays.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-24 10:17 AM (#44749 - in reply to #44737)

GreenJello -
Anyway, I'm a big fan of guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Once saw a bumper sticker that said, "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun."

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 10:35 AM (#44755 - in reply to #44707)

Expert Yogi

Bruce - 2006-02-23 10:40 PM

BB, I guess this means you and I are definitely twins!!! I'm a pistol packing yogi myself...although, I'd rather not ever have to use it...been there and had to do that once before..not pretty. That is why I have Yodha. The other day I was on the AT (Applachain Trail). Yodha loves everybody. He's the coolest Rottweiler and the most laid back dog ever. However, there were 2 guys that just didn't pass his doggie inspection. He went nuts when they went by and spoke to us - me and my daughter. The men were pretty friendly, but Yodha sensed something different. Yodha's babysitter told me later how he protects her like that and said.."Trust him, he knows, cause once we had a strange person come in here and it really set Yodha off". Interesting.

GJ, I travelled through Texas by myself once several years ago...without my pistol. I was okay at that time, but if I ever do it again...the pistol and Yodha will be with me. I was traveling through the Northern part of the state which was actually very mild, but times are changing. Here in my neck of the woods, I can't rely on police...it takes them an hour just to respond. There some crazy moonshine drinking fools up here...trust me, those pics that BB showed us not too long ago, I was half serious My neighbors get drunk and fight each other all the time. The judge threw it out of court when they scalped each other's head and were put in the hospital. The sheriff once told me once to get my A$$ in the house when they started that crap. I had to warn both of my neighbors not to get my house confused with each other's - when they aren't drunk, they are just as sweet and well mannered normal people as they can be. So, you can imagine. I'd be dead or I'd have to fight somebody really hard and mess up my hair and nails....forget that,
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-24 11:08 AM (#44762 - in reply to #44755)

Cyndi - 2006-02-24 10:35 AM

BB, I guess this means you and I are definitely twins!!! I'm a pistol packing yogi myself...although, I'd rather not ever have to use it...been there and had to do that once before..not pretty.

Sounds like an interesting story, care to share?

That is why I have Yodha. The other day I was on the AT (Applachain Trail). Yodha loves everybody. He's the coolest Rottweiler and the most laid back dog ever. However, there were 2 guys that just didn't pass his doggie inspection. He went nuts when they went by and spoke to us - me and my daughter. The men were pretty friendly, but Yodha sensed something different. Yodha's babysitter told me later how he protects her like that and said.."Trust him, he knows, cause once we had a strange person come in here and it really set Yodha off". Interesting.

Dogs are great like that. Never had a problem with one giving me a failed inspection, though I've had a lot of people give me odd looks from time to time. I like dogs better.

GJ, I travelled through Texas by myself once several years ago...without my pistol. I was okay at that time, but if I ever do it again...the pistol and Yodha will be with me. I was traveling through the Northern part of the state which was actually very mild, but times are changing.

I was going through the western part in the real desolate areas near the border. There's a state route or something that runs through there, I'm sure Bruce knows the one I'm thinking about. Anyway, the trooper might have been right, through frankly I didn't have much worth stealing.

There some crazy moonshine drinking fools up here...trust me, those pics that BB showed us not too long ago, I was half serious

Not sure what you're refering to.

My neighbors get drunk and fight each other all the time. The judge threw it out of court when they scalped each other's head and were put in the hospital. The sheriff once told me once to get my A$$ in the house when they started that crap. I had to warn both of my neighbors not to get my house confused with each other's - when they aren't drunk, they are just as sweet and well mannered normal people as they can be. So, you can imagine. I'd be dead or I'd have to fight somebody really hard and mess up my hair and nails....forget that,

Wow! Sounds almost as dangerous as some parts of Cincy I've lived in. For the most part I don't have any real issues. Most people would rather not mess with somebody who's 6'2" and 225 lbs. Much easier targets around I'm sure.

Being a woman in such a situation can be very difficult I'm sure. It really makes me sad when I read about all the women who are abused and can't do anything about it.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 11:17 AM (#44765 - in reply to #44762)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-02-24 11:08 AM

Sounds like an interesting story, care to share?

Being a woman in such a situation can be very difficult I'm sure. It really makes me sad when I read about all the women who are abused and can't do anything about it.

Well, instead of going through my greusome details....just put these 2 paragraphs together, use your imagination with me as the woman. Although, with a twist...I did do something about it!
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)