YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your Yoga style?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 8 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Kym
Posted 2006-02-24 3:01 PM (#44795 - in reply to #44022)
Subject: RE: What is your Yoga style?

How odd. I'm from Texas and don't have a gun. Neither does anyone in my family, as far as I know. I'm also a democrat. Go figure. ;) I must be living a different reality. Thanks for all the welcomes. Seems like I have come in at an odd time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-24 3:02 PM (#44796 - in reply to #44765)

Cyndi - 2006-02-24 11:17 AM

GreenJello - 2006-02-24 11:08 AM

Sounds like an interesting story, care to share?

Being a woman in such a situation can be very difficult I'm sure. It really makes me sad when I read about all the women who are abused and can't do anything about it.

Well, instead of going through my greusome details....just put these 2 paragraphs together, use your imagination with me as the woman. Although, with a twist...I did do something about it!

Fair enough, I like your new avatar BTW.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 3:16 PM (#44797 - in reply to #44795)

Expert Yogi

Don't worry Kym, there is never an "odd" time. Besides, I came in on the tail end of a Hot Bikram Yoga Party.......I mean it was Hot Hot Hot in there. You know, I learned so much from that and have stayed ever since. Stick around, we have some really interesting brawls...I mean parties...I mean does any one know how to spell Swar rae, sp??

Thanks GJ, it seemed like an appropriate time for a new look and a new sig..

As for the gun thing?? Does that mean only Republicans can carry guns?? Well, I'm neither so not sure which category I would fit into....oh well.

Which reminds me of the situation in Nepal with all those maoists...There is a saying I see all the time, "If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have guns". In my husband's country you are not allowed to have a gun...however, the maoists do and they kill people and they bully them for money...it's terrible. It's the reason I refuse to go there and why my in-laws have fled to Italy. Sometimes I wish I could pass out guns to every village so they could drive those maoists away!!! Then we can all go visit that beautiful country, the tourists would come back, the country could have prosperity again...and I could finally get to base camp,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-24 3:22 PM
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-24 8:47 PM (#44815 - in reply to #44022)

>Kym - How odd. I'm from Texas and don't have a gun. Neither does anyone in my family, as far as I know. I'm also a democrat. Go figure. ;) I must be living a different reality. Thanks for all the welcomes. Seems like I have come in at an odd time.

I don't own a gun also. It looks like the NRA might start recruiting from this board. Keep the peace Kym and remember, when only Yogis have guns, then don't piss them off. Hopefully the world will be an 'armament free zone' through Yoga.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-24 9:34 PM (#44819 - in reply to #44797)

Cyndi - 2006-02-24 3:16 PM
Thanks GJ, it seemed like an appropriate time for a new look and a new sig..

I thought the same thing, so I changed mine too. This one works a lot better, the previous one had some trouble when it was compressed from it's original size. I liked the previous one a lot more when I saw it on your myspace account at original size. May I ask who is it a picture of?

Which reminds me of the situation in Nepal with all those maoists...There is a saying I see all the time, "If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have guns". In my husband's country you are not allowed to have a gun...however, the maoists do and they kill people and they bully them for money...it's terrible.

I had a friend who was a history major. He claimed that the modern fire arm was one of the direct causes for the rise of democracy. Essentially guns are the great equalizer, they don't require massive amounts of training, muscle strength, or special talents. Woman can use them just as easily as men, and with just as much force. In some cases maybe a little better because women supposedly have better hand-eye co-ordination.

Supposedly the only nation that had democracy thoughout the middle-ages was switzerland. Why? It's not possible to use calvary in the very hilly country of the alps, so everybody was forced to get along.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 9:46 PM (#44822 - in reply to #44819)

Expert Yogi

Well GJ, if you go check out myspace, you will see that I named the woman in the picture...She is the Queen of Everest. So, with that little tid bit, I am going to make you play the guessing game. Who is she? What is her name?? Who is her husband?? Have fun, I'll give you a hint. Her husband's Birthday is this Sunday.

As for your interesting comments about the guns. I am so neutral when it comes to guns. I guess that is why I can own one again. After my incident about 16 years ago, I couldnt' touch or even look at a gun, much less shoot one. It took many years of practice inside and out, to get to the point where I could shoot and shoot straight again, I was very scared. Learning how to shoot again was really important to me. I love to Skeet shoot with a shotgun. It is my favorite sport where guns are concerned. So, I decided to learn over again and put that part behind me. I don't think I'll ever have to use my gun again on a human (BTW, I didn't kill anyone), but if I did, I am not afraid to and am probably more confident this time around. I mainly use my gun to shoot at the moon when howling dogs won't let me sleep at night. My neighbors used to have these dogs that only barked at 2 am when I was in a deep sleep. Then they would go on for hours and hours. If you shoot a gun around a dog, most dogs get scared and run away...or either they shut up! There is a fiesty one that tests me and keeps it up for a few minutes afterwards though,

Jambo
Posted 2006-02-24 10:00 PM (#44826 - in reply to #44022)

A bit dated, but hopefully you'll get the idea:

In the 1990s, the United States experienced over 330000 deaths intentionally committed with firearms.[1-3] A considerable number of these firearm deaths were homicides occurring in large US cities.[4] Although these numbers argue for serious consideration of urban crime prevention programs, they may also contribute to the perception of intentional firearm death in the United States as a principally urban, principally criminal phenomenon.[5]

Over the same decade, firearm suicides occurred in greater numbers than firearm homicides, accounting for over half of all intentional firearm deaths in the United States.[3] A disproportionate number of these firearm suicides most likely occurred in rural areas.[6] Nevertheless, because rural health issues are often not on equal footing with those in urban areas,[7] and because suicide is not a crime,[8,9] attention to firearm suicide as a preventable public health problem was limited in the 1990s.[10]

Previous peer-reviewed studies have found basic differences between urban and rural counties in terms of firearm homicide victimization rates among teenagers and young adults[11,12] but have not placed these differences within the context of all intentional injury deaths, including firearm suicide. In this report we more fully assess the differences between urban and rural counties for all intentional injury deaths occurring during an 11-year period in the United States. By doing so, we intend to better discern the relative risk of intentional firearm death, compared with other mechanisms of intentional injury death, in urban versus rural communities.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-24 11:10 PM (#44836 - in reply to #44822)

Joe. Information without context is data, and can be argued anyway you wish. Frankly, this thread has settled down, let's not go there, huh?

Cyndi - 2006-02-24 9:46 PM

Well GJ, if you go check out myspace, you will see that I named the woman in the picture...She is the Queen of Everest. So, with that little tid bit, I am going to make you play the guessing game. Who is she? What is her name?? Who is her husband?? Have fun, I'll give you a hint. Her husband's Birthday is this Sunday.

That just makes it way to easy. Pavrati! What do I win?

Learning how to shoot again was really important to me. I love to Skeet shoot with a shotgun. It is my favorite sport where guns are concerned.

Yeah, me too. The only gun I own is a single barrel Browning 12 gage for skeet shooting. My father bought it a few years ago so that we could go shooting. I never got all that into it, but he was pretty into it for quite a while.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-25 11:06 AM (#44868 - in reply to #44826)

Expert Yogi

Jambo,

Those statistics don't surprise me. Especially since our world is so populated now and guns do have a way of getting into the wrong hands. This is where training is so important and being responsible for a powerful weapon. I have so many thoughts on this and there are so many aspects relating to the problem with guns.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-25 11:13 AM (#44869 - in reply to #44836)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-02-24 11:10 PM

That just makes it way to easy. Pavrati! What do I win?

I would like to say, What do you want to win...but that scares me. Then if I said, what do I have that you want....that's even worse.. So, I'll have to think about that GJ. Would you not be satisfied in the fact of knowing that you're a genius....definitely not Dumb!!

BTW, it's Parvarthi...but don't sweat it, those Hindu names get mighty confusing sometimes, especially with me.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-25 11:26 AM (#44873 - in reply to #44022)

> GJ - Frankly, this thread has settled down, let's not go there, huh?

That was from American Journal of Public Health. Here’ the link the article: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/490999

I apologize if posting that upset anyone.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-25 11:48 AM (#44876 - in reply to #44873)

Cyndi- Good question isn't it? What do you have that I want? I really don't need much, so probably not a lot.

Jambo - 2006-02-25 11:26 AM

> GJ - Frankly, this thread has settled down, let's not go there, huh?

That was from American Journal of Public Health. Here’ the link the article: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/490999

I apologize if posting that upset anyone.

I don't think it's upsetting, but it definitely has the potential, doesn't it? It's like abortion, or gay rights, or politics, it's a hot button issue. Anyway, we're all trying to play nice, so I'm going to avoid saying anything more for the moment. This would be a good thing to discuss, maybe in a couple of days.

I'll be the first to admit that there are some serious issues with guns.

BTW, the link doesn't seem to work unless I register....

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-25 11:50 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-25 11:56 AM (#44878 - in reply to #44873)

Expert Yogi

Jambo,

NO upsets here. I think we all know the power of guns and the destruction they can cause. Anyway, rather than trying to take guns away from people, I think we need to have an understanding and reverence for them. I don't shoot birds BTW, I shoot clay pidgeons. I thought that would go without saying but just wanted to clarify that. Take care, and Have a nice weekend.

Cyndi
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-25 5:33 PM (#44913 - in reply to #44022)

You can't write about how great guns are. Then imply that pretty much every Texan pretty has a gun. Throw in the stereotype that you can't safely drive across Texas without gun. Then tell me, don't argue, play nice and don't argue.

Can you push a few more of my buttons please? Perhaps you could start saying terrible things about cats and the color red. Oh yeah and you could praise Ronald Reagan. That would really torture me.

I happen to be a native Texas, Democrat who has drive from Houston to New York...New York to Victoria, TX,... Victoria to Little Rock, Ark. through East Texas... Little Rock to Abilene... and Abilene to San Antonio, all with pretty much everything I own in the car or truck and never felt the need for a gun.

Perhaps I live in that alternate universe with Kym.

Posted 2006-02-25 6:01 PM (#44919 - in reply to #44913)

So Sharon's the Texan democrat -- I was wondering who it was.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-25 6:27 PM (#44925 - in reply to #44022)

Kym - thanks for posting about Gabrielle Roth & the Mirrors!
I have given a few songs a listen and they are fabulous!
Now I have to figure out what albums to download!

Thanks again!
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-25 6:32 PM (#44926 - in reply to #44022)

>GJ - I don't think it's upsetting, but it definitely has the potential, doesn't it? It's like abortion, or gay rights, or politics, it's a hot button issue. Anyway, we're all trying to play nice, so I'm going to avoid saying anything more for the moment. This would be a good thing to discuss, maybe in a couple of days.

Bruce – Are you playing nice? You know how sensitive some people have gotten.

Thanks Sharon.
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-25 6:47 PM (#44930 - in reply to #44919)

Bruce - 2006-02-25 6:01 PM

So Sharon's the Texan democrat -- I was wondering who it was.

Actually Bruce, there's a vast underground of Democrats in Texas, quietly organizing behind the scenes and awaiting our opportunity to take over the state in a blaze of glory.

Sharon

Posted 2006-02-25 6:54 PM (#44932 - in reply to #44930)

Sorry Sharon, we Republicans (and Kinky Fiedman supporters) have the guns just in case of such a coup attempt. Man, this thread has been ALL over the place. Some poor newbie is going to see this and think, "Oh boy! I'm gonna learn about different yoga styles."
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-25 8:44 PM (#44944 - in reply to #44913)

skatrenah - 2006-02-25 5:33 PM

You can't write about how great guns are. Then imply that pretty much every Texan pretty has a gun. Throw in the stereotype that you can't safely drive across Texas without gun. Then tell me, don't argue, play nice and don't argue.

Can you push a few more of my buttons please? Perhaps you could start saying terrible things about cats and the color red. Oh yeah and you could praise Ronald Reagan. That would really torture me.

Sorry, you're right.

I happen to be a native Texas, Democrat who has drive from Houston to New York...New York to Victoria, TX,... Victoria to Little Rock, Ark. through East Texas... Little Rock to Abilene... and Abilene to San Antonio, all with pretty much everything I own in the car or truck and never felt the need for a gun.

I didn't feel much a need for one either, which part of the reason it really stuck in my head. I really don't understand why the cop didn't believe me when I told him I didn't have a gun, he seemed really amazed by it. We went back and forth about this several times, and I'm not making it up. Maybe he was just trying to get me to admit to having a gun, so he could take me in, I don't know. Anyway, the impression I got was that it was natural for everybody in texas to have a gun.

Do you think it's more likely for Texans to own firearms?

I also have to point out that I was in the boonies of west texas, miles away from anything. Around here most people who live out in the rural areas have guns, and like to go hunting, that's just the way it is. I notice you're in the city, things are probably a lot different there.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-25 8:49 PM
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-25 9:08 PM (#44950 - in reply to #44022)

GJ - you were smart to edit your last post.

Regarding where someone comes from, the problem is the same.

Article-------

Big Cities and Small Towns Bear Similar Risks of Gun Death

from Penn Public Health Study

Suicide Risk by Firearms Greater in Rural Areas

Americans in small towns are statistically as likely to die from gunfire as people in major cities, according to a new study from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine - with one key distinction. "The difference is who does the shooting," says lead author Charles C. Branas, PhD, Assistant Professor of Epidemiology. Branas and colleagues found that when looking at all deaths by firearms, the risk of being murdered with a gun in large cities and the risk of committing suicide with a gun in rural areas were almost identical. In fact, the risk of gun suicide in rural areas was slightly higher than the risk of gun homicide in major cities.

Here's the context this time

http://philadelphia.about.com/od/healthcare/a/gun_death.htm
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-25 9:32 PM (#44960 - in reply to #44944)

GreenJello - 2006-02-25 8:44 PM
I didn't feel much a need for one either, which part of the reason it really stuck in my head. I really don't understand why the cop didn't believe me when I told him I didn't have a gun, he seemed really amazed by it. We went back and forth about this several times, and I'm not making it up. Maybe he was just trying to get me to admit to having a gun, so he could take me in, I don't know. Anyway, the impression I got was that it was natural for everybody in texas to have a gun.

Do you think it's more likely for Texans to own firearms?

I have no doubt he said that to you. Lots of people in Texas like to believe their own myth. Particularly in west Texas where the myth is so darn appealing. I live in Houston and we're always trying to forget our myths.

I don't know the statistics, but my sense is that people in rural areas own guns because its a part of the culture of hunting and frontier life.

People in the city own guns either because they are criminals or they are under the usually misguided idea that they can use the gun to protect themselves from criminals.

I imagine there are people like that everywhere, not just in Texas.

But here there are always stories of kids playing with guns and shooting each other. A few years ago a man outside Houston shot and killed his daughter. She was sneaking in a bedroom window so he wouldn't know she went out that night.

A few years ago this man in San Antonio shot a 12-year-old boy for stealing chickens out of his yard.

All sad. But everyone always thinks they're smarter than the other guy. Or worse, some think that guy was right to shoot that boy. I think its all frontier myth. My opinion.

My cousin lives in a brick house with burgular bars and doors that you need to find the key to get outside. She also sleeps with a gun nearby, that she doesn't know how to use.

I'm constantly afraid that if she doesn't die in a fire, the guy who breaks into the house will wrestle the gun from her and shoot her.

Sharon

Posted 2006-02-26 9:11 AM (#44987 - in reply to #44022)

Re: Guns

I recommend watching bowling for columbine. it makes an interesting argument. essentially, canadians own as many or more guns per capita than the US, but have far less gun violence overall. the reason, according to the argument of the film, is the culture of fear perpetuated by the media, etc, that exists in the US. it's an interesting argument.

Re: YogaFit

I think that it's true that a good teacher is a good teacher--regardless of the training or the lack of training (there are some teachers who have never done any teacher training, yet are excellent teachers). I think it's true that a person can take Bikram or YogaFit or any other training and do well as teachers, because of where their intentions are.

But, i'm also cautious of a lot of trainings. To me, a training that says "no experience in yoga necessary" is problematic. And it's not just YF anymore. There are many studios in my area that offer teacher training--it's a huge money maker. You sign up 20 or so people, have them pay $2,000 each (that's $40,000), and do the program over three or four months--you can do three or four trainings a year--that's $120,000 or $160,000 per year just from that one thing alone! THat's a lot of money for a studio--it can support small classes and any number of things. So, they're starting to become far less choosy about who they train--and we're flooded with inexperienced teachers who want to make more money (i don't know where they get that idea) or who want to teach one class or two here or there and need some form of certification to do so (they want to teach in a gym setting or whatever).

I often councel people about yoga teacher trainings in this regard. Many people who pay for these trainings are people who want to teach on a minimal basis--one or two classes a week--and they dont' care about the money or whatever else. They want to teach because they love it. I recommend that these people--if they have a yoga practice of their own--get CPR certified and volunteer to teach at their church, community center, hospital or some other location. It allows them to do the heart work of yoga, to teach and share as their heart is content, and not put money into pockets for those who are simply striving to factory-train teachers (it is expensive).

I find, though, that those people who really want to be teachers spend a lot of time educating themselves--regardless of the training that they're taking. I find that most people take a factory-style training because they haven't really been educated about their options, and it says "200 hr training, YA registered" and so on. That's the only criteria--but people forget things like what is the studio's perspective? do i agree with this perspective? how do people in the general public feel about this training? how do i feel about this training? what do i want to learn in my training?

as an experienced teacher, a teacher trainer myself (i do apprenticeships), and a person who apprenticed with many teachers, i know the value of good education. I also highly value continuing education for myself and for other teachers. I spend a great deal of time considering what sorts of trainings i want to take next. I even talk to the trainers about it. 200-hr beginner level trainings are not for me. It's difficult for me to be in a classroom with a person who has never done downward dog before, who is now learning to teach the posture that they've never done. It's not because i don't like that teacher--it's just not what i need for my education.

Recently, i considered taking a 500-hr training with my teacher Dharma Mittra. I spoke to him about it, and we decided that while the teacher training would be beneficial to me, it's not what i needed. Instead, i travel to the studio every other month on a saturday and take a workshop with him. This way, i get his teachings--but he even admitted that the teacher training was going to cover all of the basics of yoga, because the only prerequisite is experience practcing yoga. He also recommended that i stick to advanced trainings, and we spoke at length about which directions my training should go from here.

i have many interests--ayurvedic studies, chakra/energy work, thai yoga massage (which admittedly is a different tradition, but one that i want to explore more fully), mayan healing and abdominal massage (a new area of curiousity for me), mantra yoga and the yoga of sound (i recently did a workshop with Bhagavan Das--in october--it was amazing)--just to name a few. Not to mention that i'm taking 'scripture' courses at the local hindu temple, a 'hookup' from one of my students.

So i have to look for myself--what do i need from a training? what do i want from a training? what will best serve me and my students?

I find that when a person--whether a new teacher, a future teacher, or an experienced teacher--begins to ask these questions, it begins to clarify what sorts of trainings are right for them far beyond "does it fit my schedule?" and "willl it give me enough hours to be YA registered?" and so on. What is is that I, as a teacher, want to learn, what to offer students, what to share with others? and how will this training help me learn about this area of yoga, offer it to my students, to share it with others?

One of my apprentices takes YF workshops. I have no problem with this. I teach my apprentices by teaching sequencing theory--i do not give them a sequence. I ask them to analyze sequences and create their own, and then 'defend' these sequences (why did you put this pose after that one? why are these first and those second? what area of the body/energy body are you working on?). We discuss them at length. She found this to be overwhelming sometimes, and she wanted something that she could 'rely on' when she had to sub (she owns a gym where i teach, and occassionally she has to sub for one of the yoga teachers). On the fly, she never had a memorized sequence, and this unnerved her when she was given 5 minutes notice before class that the teacher wasn't coming. So, she took YF so that she'd have a sequence.

Her observation is that the alignment was 'off' (from the iyengar allignment that i use/teach), and but that the sequence was basic and she was taught--do this, then this, and these are the modifications. this gave her a basis from which to begin her further exploration of sequencing theory--something that we still work on. She still takes YF workshops, because she likes the structure, combined with her apprenticeship--it fulfills a particular need for her.

But, i find that many teachers who are inexperienced before going into factory-styled TTs are often dangerous teachers. really, they don't have enough experience in their own bodies to teach functionally and safely. So, i'm concerned about that. But, it's not a 'per se' sort of thing with me.

i just prefer other sorts of trainings, and i prefer that people find the training that is truly right for them. i think that YF isn't enough for what most people want out of their training--and it's highly expensive to boot.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-26 4:44 PM (#45017 - in reply to #44987)

Extreme Veteran

zoebird - 2006-02-26 9:11 AM

i just prefer other sorts of trainings, and i prefer that people find the training that is truly right for them. i think that YF isn't enough for what most people want out of their training--and it's highly expensive to boot.

It's really not that expensive compared to other 200 Hr. trainings. If you're able to register for the workshops in time to get the "early bird" discount (generally, one month in advance), the total cost is $2430. It's $2610 if you don't register early. Om Yoga's (which I had considered doing) 200 hour program is $3600.

Posted 2006-02-26 10:18 PM (#45045 - in reply to #44022)

Jackie:

while i agree that the pricing of yoga teacher trainings runs a broad range, most teacher trainings that have interested me cost about $2000--less than yoga fit--and often don't require the travel or other expenses. though, in some cases, it's that plus travel expenses, which would put it above the $3000 mark.
Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 8 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)