YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your Yoga style?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 4:31 PM (#44177 - in reply to #44174)
Subject: RE: What is your Yoga style?

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-02-20 4:14 PM

In this case I think it's matter of presentation. She's often got some good points, but she's not very good at presenting them. Or dealing with any disagreement.

Whatever, that is what you think, I can't help that. I am not having a difficult time dealing with this, I could care less. Since when did you have the ability to know what I am thinking...your not that advanced yet GJ, sorry. I am really sorry you can't deal with my presentation. I'm not looking for a gold medal. I think you guys need to learn the art of being able to read between the lines and learn how to deal with opposing factors of the subject at hand. It seems to me that lately on this board that everyone is too scared to post because they may disagree with something...to me that is no fun and quite boring. In fact, life would rather boring indeed if we were all the same.

Besides, how many Guru's have you practiced with GJ and Mishoga and how long have you been studying Yoga?? I'm really curious as to how much experience you guys really have. In fact, I have a pretty good idea already, don't worry you don't have to post to the board unless you want to.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 4:39 PM (#44179 - in reply to #44176)

Expert Yogi

mishoga - 2006-02-20 4:26 PM

Cyndi, you just can't refrain from insulting me, can you? I sit here smiling knowing that I have such an impact on you. It's quite the compliment.

Oh by the way, I asked about your experience, not what you thought of mine. Thought I should clear that up for you since you misunderstood my topic.

I wasn't aware that I insulted you, does disagreeing with you insult you? Does my experience with yoga studios and goofy yoga instructors insult you?? Why? Why would my experience insult you? Why would you even think that my experience would intertwine with your experience and you turn the tables on me to say that your experience was my experience?? I'm flattered that you are smiling thinking you have impacted me in some way, but I can assure you that I haven't felt an impact of anything. Keep smiling, I'll smile with you, I really don't get it why you feel insulted. I'm sorry you are offended and insulted. Perhaps Bruce will come along and erase the entire thread because it now is not making much sense is it??
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-20 4:50 PM (#44181 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi, once again...lighten up. Maybe you want to explore the deeper dimensions of life, but I just want to appreciate the goodness that surrounds me.

Back off sista! Really, you're acting silly!!!!

There is absolutely no need for this to go any further!

Mish
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 4:58 PM (#44183 - in reply to #44181)

Expert Yogi

mishoga - 2006-02-20 4:50 PM

Cyndi, once again...lighten up. Maybe you want to explore the deeper dimensions of life, but I just want to appreciate the goodness that surrounds me.

Back off sista! Really, you're acting silly!!!!

There is absolutely no need for this to go any further!

Again, Mishoga, quit telling me how to act and what to do. I don't recalling making you my Didi, so don't say that to me, you are out of line. You don't know how far I've explored the deeper dimensions of life...in fact, IF you even had a clue about my explorations and where I've been, IF you did, it would scare the crap out of you...another words you couldn't handle it - which is why you can't handle it now.

Anway, don't you have a yoga music class to teach right now?? So, what are you going to listen to today?? Prem Joshua?? Play Dance of Kali in my honor while you're doing standing postures Okay???

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-20 5:01 PM
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-20 5:01 PM (#44184 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

You are so childish! It a shame your knowledge can't shine fully!

Bruce, please delete this thread. She is determined to go on and on and on. I'm done with her.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 5:03 PM (#44186 - in reply to #44184)

Expert Yogi

mishoga - 2006-02-20 5:01 PM

You are so childish! It a shame your knowledge can't shine fully!

Bruce, please delete this thread. She is determined to go on and on and on. I'm done with her.

Mishoga,

Don't forget, those who anger you control you, Om Sat Nam!!!

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti hi
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-20 5:05 PM (#44188 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

You don't anger me, you annoy me!!!!!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 5:17 PM (#44189 - in reply to #44188)

Expert Yogi

Okay your majesty, I bow to you....you can have the last word and testiment. I hope you enjoy your yoga music class today,
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-20 6:10 PM (#44201 - in reply to #44022)

Extreme Veteran

Can I be a member of the Mishoga Fan Club?

Seriously, I think your class sounds cool. I love practicing yoga with music playing and I like to play groovy R&B and soul music in my yoga class as well as world music with a beat. (I've gotten lots of good music ideas from Steve Ross' Inhale Yoga on the Oxygen channel). I teach at a gym and focus on asana practice pretty much exclusively. I teach a vinyasa style class and try to keep things moving, but I also offer lots of modifications for people who are newer to the practice.

If my class is not meeting someone's needs (i.e., if s/he thinks it is not serious enough, or "real" yoga), it is only one class on the schedule and. like Mish said, a member is free to find another class (perhaps in a yoga studio) that better meets his/her needs. If my class doesn't meet ANYONE'S needs, then I definitely need to look at changing something. But I get positive feedback and returning students.

Posted 2006-02-20 6:11 PM (#44202 - in reply to #44022)

hmm i wish i had something smarmy to say...

i find cyndi's uncompromising attitude to be refreshing. she strikes me as someone who knows what shes talking about, and "rings my bell of truth"

i often feel uncomfortable saying what yoga "is" or "isn't," but i find those opinions growing more clearly defined in myself every day. while its better than sitting on your a$$ eating bonbons, i feel that western yoga is more than slightly off base
fortunately sincere and devoted students receive guidance form forces on high. i am an infant in yoga practice, but i realize the importance of protecting the integrity of yoga practice.

i dunno.

my ego has my head tied in knots, but i'm working on it...

just things, you know?

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 6:34 PM (#44203 - in reply to #44202)

Expert Yogi

Dhanurasana,

Thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me. It really takes a lot of guts to stand out alone and live your truth, without compromising your own practice and trying to stay within the borders of not offending but yet at the same time, it happens. We can't please everybody now can we. Some people no matter what you do, you can't please them and they will get offended over anything. One of the things I learned long ago was that the practice of Yoga was like a Two edge Sword...it can cut very deeply. There is no such thing as that airy fairy crap and there is no such thing as being on top of the world in la la land because something is going to come along and bounce you back into reality.
We all know that when we walk out onto the edge of life we do stand alone, or at least it seems that way doesn't it? Then along comes that inner voice inside of us that tells us we are not alone, then when we learn how to accept that, we then start our yoga journey. This to me is the true art and essence of the Yoga practice. When you are guided by this inner Divine self, there is nothing in this world that can harm you...you just melt and float...that is so sweet.

Yoga has been around for thousands of years and it is part of a system written long ago. Americans can adjust Yoga to fit their criteria of what they think life should be and they can continue with their illusions of what happiness is and even what Yoga is. That doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean that is it correct. If people want to think of yoga as a fitness or exercise program, that is erroneous thinking because it is not. Yoga is so much more than doing a physical exercise and it's not just about doing yoga asana's. I find it rather insulting when certain yoga teachers blast the Indian culture and where Yoga originated from. I also find it more insulting that some of these teachers are trying to undo what has been done by the great masters of yesterday. These so called teachers would not be here today if it weren't for these great masters who brought Yoga to the place where yoga is today. It needs to be respected and revered.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-20 6:40 PM (#44204 - in reply to #44022)

Cyndi-

Why are you so on ‘edge’ all the time regarding Yoga? I’m with Mish when she describes her class:

>My big thing is having different music for each class (all classes) I mx all of my songs and >load onto my ipod with looping and transitions to be continuous.

>I also like to use essential oils to create a certain feeling, depending on the time of day.
>Daitme, early, jasmine or verbena nightime, lavender, ylang-ylang, bulgarian rose, and oris >root.

>I prefer teaching by candlelight.
>The list can go on. I love it and it fuels me up.

I take all kinds of classes in all of the styles and I most like taking yoga that is light hearted and sometimes by ‘candlelight’. Oils are nice, sometimes with music. I would love to take a class with Mish...
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 7:00 PM (#44205 - in reply to #44204)

Expert Yogi

Jambo - 2006-02-20 6:40 PM

Cyndi-

Why are you so on ‘edge’ all the time regarding Yoga? I’m with Mish when she describes her class:

You asked the question and I'm going to give you another answer with hopes that you don't get offended.

The yoga class that you and Mishoga have described is NOT what I would consider a *true* yoga class to be. In fact, all this airy fairy BS that goes along with the music and the candles and the incense thing and that other stuff is scary to me. It really is scary. Why you may ask?? Go back and read all my comments....these things are not necessary and are just a way to manipulate people's minds. Look at the Yoga industry and how much $$ has been made on yoga accessories. These things do not allow you the inner peace of finding your *true* self with all those extra things going on - it is insane. In fact, it is really a major distraction to the practice of yoga. It feels like a massive invasion and a spiritual boundary that is crossed over with disrespect. You might as well say you're going to a social gathering and we are going to do a Yoga Inspired Aerobics class together.
sirensong2
Posted 2006-02-20 7:04 PM (#44206 - in reply to #44022)

i've been wincing through these posts..I would be offended just like mishoga, to tell the truth. it just seems like such personal and harsh judgement. i know because i've inflicted it too, and lived to regret it.

sometimes the best thing way to let something like this die is just not to respond, i guess.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-20 7:40 PM (#44213 - in reply to #44206)

Expert Yogi

Wow - I am surprised my ears haven't been burning all day! Or is it the typing fingers that burn when people are posting about you?

I don't think it is a good idea to erase this thread because, aside from people getting a bit uppity here and there, there has been some good discussion. Frankly, I was trying to find a way to answer Mish's original post in a diplomatic way and hadn't yet found it...

For myself, I have the fact that I am an Iyengar student to fall back on here. We do not play music, we do not burn incense (except for puja or other special occassions) and we don't do any practices but asana and pranayama. Period. This is how we are taught and, in the great, long and ancient tradition of transmission of teachings from guru to student, we teach as we were taught. BKS does not teach with music so we don't teach with music. Simple.

But I am personally not fond of the Americanization of yoga and all the "yoga-y" trappings that we seem to think we should have. If you have to burn some candles to get rid of the sweat smell from the previous class, that is one thing, but to add the new agey stuff is, well, new agey. I do not go so far as to say it is not yoga. BKS is clear that all yoga is yoga. Whatever gets people interested is great. But I would call it more like yoga-lite, perhaps. I hope that is diplomatic enough - as Cyndi said, you did as for reaction from us as if we were students

Cyndi - I was struck by your mention of yoga schools turning out students too fast - did you mean teachers? I am guessing when you said the two main one s you might mean Iyengar but I don't know of any Iyengar trainings under two or three years. I would love to hear more about this - IM me if you feel like discussing it more.

Posted 2006-02-20 8:21 PM (#44216 - in reply to #44203)

cyndi says:

We all know that when we walk out onto the edge of life we do stand alone, or at least it seems that way doesn't it? Then along comes that inner voice inside of us that tells us we are not alone, then when we learn how to accept that, we then start our yoga journey.

and i say...

it is a lonely path. when you cut through all the crap in this western (or any) world and find your true path back to the universal spirit, you really put yourself out there. people just don't understand. and as you walk down your path, all the trappings of your former life just seem to drop away. friends, jobs, even family.

it is a lonely path, but once you have heard your true self (even just a peep, a whisper) through your ego, the pain of not following that path is infinitely more unbearable than the temporary inconveniences of physical loneliness.

i certainly don't mean to sound like some sort of snobby elitest, like, "ooh look at me, i'm just so d@mn spiritual" but i can see how such opinions could elicit that response. i think that if people are offended by my (or any other) postings, they should take it as an opportunity to study their own consciousness, and think about why something like this is prodding their ego in such a way.

i personally find music during asana practice to distract me from the intense self-study that goes along with my practice. and i don't want to be inhaling any incense that is being burned. sometimes a little sandalwood during meditation, but thats about it.

speaking of distractions, i practiced at my old bikram studio recently after probably 3-4 months away. not the bikram series, just used their facility for practice. those mirrors were the most distracting things ever. i kep sneaking peaks in every posture. stupid ego.

AND in the interest of rambling further on and on as well as answering the original question...i would describe my style of asana as a "static flow." i like me some vinyasa action, but i'll stay in postures 10-20 breaths so as to really stick the alignment. i'm starting to lean more towards iyengar style sequencing and away from the ashtanga series that i had previously practiced. i do love that ashtanga standing series, though...

okay i'm done...

Edited by dhanurasana 2006-02-20 8:33 PM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-20 8:37 PM (#44220 - in reply to #44022)

I think Yoga should be whatever it needs to be for people. So whatever it is for Cyndi, excellent. Whatever it is for me, also excellent. If it gets us all to a good place, who cares which path each one of us takes? We all start from different places anyway.

This discussion really isn't about Yoga and it's "pure" form anymore. It's about how well we communicate with each other. And how tolerant and patient we are with each other. It's about the words we choose, and the reactions we have.

Mishy, I'm so sorry your thread took this turn. Not because I can't handle a good discussion, but because it was a really good topic. For what it's worth, I'd dig your class. You sound very much like my teachers, and I always look forward to going to the studio. There's an instant calm about the place, and I sink right into it when I'm there.

Edited by Kabu 2006-02-20 8:40 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 8:53 PM (#44222 - in reply to #44216)

Expert Yogi

dhanurasana - 2006-02-20 8:21 PM

it is a lonely path, but once you have heard your true self (even just a peep, a whisper) through your ego, the pain of not following that path is infinitely more unbearable than the temporary inconveniences of physical loneliness.

Have you ever heard anyone make the comment, "A Dakini's Breath"? Here is something interesting that you might like in relation to that peep and a whisper.....

DAKINI

is a goddess common to most Asian countries,
but she manifests in many forms.
In Tibet, she's the ethereal sky dancer,
the "traveller in space".

In parts of India, a disciple of the dreaded Durga.

In other regions, a grasping ghost.

In certain Tantric traditions, she's a priestess able to bestow enlightenment through her sexual skills.

Dakini exists beyond borders, beyond definitions, able to adopt a multitude of identities while being limited by none.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Dancing Angels

"The teaching of the whispered lineage is the Dakini's breath"
-----------Milarepa

The literal translation of Dakini is "Sky Dancer".
The Western form for Dakinis are Angels. If you believe in or have curiosity about Angels, well Dakinis immediately follow. The Western idea of an Angel being a beautiful celestial being who flies in the sky and who sometimes comes to earth to provide inspiration and support to us mortals is very similar to the Dakinis.

Generally when they are referred to in Buddhist literature it is assumed they are devoted to the Truth (Dharma). But the broader meaning of the word is a female (males are called Dakas) spirit who has some freedom but is still bound by their past actions. Thus there are good Angels and bad (or simply confused) Angels. Some people might argue that you couldn't call them an Angel anymore if they're bad, but that's ridiculous since being predictable is not part of anyones long-term nature.

Thus there are worldy Dakinis who are malicious and use their powers to confuse us, to arouse passions that are destructive, and who use their charms for their own selfish purposes. Dakinis can manifest on earth in human form or take birth as a human. These are then called "worldly Dakinis" and I'm sure you've met at least one or two in your lifetime. Women (or men) who seem to be able to simply will things into being. People who are so charming that they seduce whatever they want from the world and enjoy it fully, yet also remain somewhat disattached from the results.

Dharma Dakinis are devoted to a higher purpose and so their actions are generally positive. But it is hard to generalize the actions of Dharma Dakinis since they aim to break our rabid fixation on concrete thoughts. Dharma Dakinis are not afraid to use their powers to dazzle us, arouse us out of our sleep of habits, and seduce us onto a path of truth. Dakinis are tricky, capricious, and unpredictable. We're in trouble when the Dakini disrupts our mind with magic, breaks our habitual thought patterns with the miraculous, or simply opens our hearts with mad adoration. Messengers between our earthly realm and the higher realms of the teachers, they help to bring the powerful teachings to earth, protect the truth from destructive forces, and bring blessings to sincere seekers. The natural result is to fall in love with a Dakini or Angel. How can you avoid falling in love with someone who inspires wild love and higher meaning suffused with delight?

Fixate on that pleasure and the Dakini does the most compassionate thing possible. They fly away. Dakinis do not manifest simply for our pleasure. (There are people who will do that but it usually requires negotiation and some form of hard currency). Dakinis manifest the beauty of the Truth which is then an invitation to follow the path of Truth. Sky Dancers help us through vision and inspiration. But although we can be greatly inspired by a Dakini (another word is Muse), they will only come back if we put into action what they have shown us.

In that regard a Dakini's love is unswerving and always compassionate. It doesn't matter if we wait a few hours or a few lifetimes to put our inspiration into action. Miracles occur but sometimes it takes years to fully realize the implications. When we do realize or remember, our hearts open, and again the magic and majesty of the universe is open to us. The Dakinis celebrate the Truth and our resolve to work for it in a mostextraordinary way. They dance in the sky.

GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-20 8:55 PM (#44223 - in reply to #44022)

Well... back to the original topic. I'm a bit spartan in my practice. I do like music, but I spend all day listening too it, so it's not a distraction to me, quite the opposite. I also like incense, though I could go either way on that for practice. I am not a big fan of a lot of other distractions, we keep things to the basics in the studio, which I like.

I think that practicing with the bare minimums reduces the distractions, and keeps the focus on the yoga. I also love the idea that I can do my yoga anywhere, and time, with just me. No fancy equipment, no instructors, not a lot of room.

All that having been said, I like it when the instructors try something new, or try to add something to the practice. It's very easy to fall into a rut, and do the same things day in and day out. Adding a something here or there can make for a more interesting practice.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-20 9:47 PM (#44233 - in reply to #44223)

Expert Yogi

Wow, all this tension this evening! While you guys were arguing, I did
a 2 1/2 hour practice and then made dinner. Now I know why I had so much
Shakti -- y'all beamed to me, didn't ya? Eh?

Personally, I don't mind candles and very mild incense. Not too much incense,
because it interferes with breathing. Music is not a good idea for me, really,
because I start to interact with it and in the worst case get annoyed by it.

I think that Cyndi and Mish are both right and that they both should go
away from this thinking about how nice it is to have these boards to post on.
I also agree that it is hard to hold on to your own opinion when other people
are telling you your opinion is wrong.

I think that Iyengar classes actually go further than asana and pranayama alone,
since philosophy (in the form of the Sutras) is discussed and since chanting is done.
That's all spirituality too, and whether it's New Agey is probably open to debate.
New Age is a pretty loose term.

I'm glad nobody deleted this thread.

And, if I were going to a new studio and the music bothered me, I probably would
not go back. If, on the other hand, the incense had a scent I didn't prefer, I might
still go back.

Hope you guys all love each other in the morning, if not overnight.

.... bg
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 10:18 PM (#44239 - in reply to #44233)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2006-02-20 9:47 PM

Wow, all this tension this evening! While you guys were arguing, I did
a 2 1/2 hour practice and then made dinner. Now I know why I had so much
Shakti -- y'all beamed to me, didn't ya? Eh?

BG, we are always beaming you with Shakti energy!! Why is it whenever someone disagrees on this forum, it is considered arguing?? Can't we have a good debate??? Well, my day is tomorrow as I spent all day here on and off. Tonight I did a fast, it's a good thing too. Tomorrow will be another day.

I think that Cyndi and Mish are both right and that they both should go
away from this thinking about how nice it is to have these boards to post on.
I also agree that it is hard to hold on to your own opinion when other people
are telling you your opinion is wrong.

Thank you BG, I couldn't have said it better myself. Although, there is a right way and there is the correct way. By posting to this forum, we have the freedom of choice by choosing and possibly knowing if we are lucky enough, which way is the correct way. The way this thread started it was leaning too much towards one biased direction, I just happened to have come along and shifted it...that's all.

Hope you guys all love each other in the morning, if not overnight.

No love lost on my end. Don't worry Mishoga, I'm cool with you, I just don't agree with all your Yoga teaching methods. But then again, I'm a traditional kind of girl. I played in the realms of the new age stuff a long time ago before I ever discovered yoga. You are not the first person I have had this conversation, excuse me, Debate with and you will not be the last I'm quite sure of it. Although, you and some others on this forum wouldn't last an hour around some of my guru's, it would flip you out totally!

GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-20 11:35 PM (#44247 - in reply to #44239)

Cyndi - 2006-02-20 10:18 PM

Why is it whenever someone disagrees on this forum, it is considered arguing?? Can't we have a good debate???

It's arguing when you attack the person and not the idea. It's attacking the other person when you say that they are wrong, and not their concepts.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-20 11:35 PM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-20 11:42 PM (#44249 - in reply to #44247)

GreenJello -
It's arguing when you attack the person and not the idea. It's attacking the other person when you say that they are wrong, and not their concepts.

That is exactly what I've been wanting to say but couldn't figure out how to phrase it. Thank you!
Ravi
Posted 2006-02-21 5:51 AM (#44258 - in reply to #44022)

Om,

Truth is one, paths are many.

Buddha also once said "that there is your truth, my truth, and truth absolute."

May all your days be bleseed.

Om Shanti
Ravi
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-21 10:14 AM (#44262 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

Love implies generosity, care, not to hurt another, not to make them feel guilty, to be generous, courteous, and behave in such a manner that your words and thoughts are born out of compassion.
Krishnamurti

We are all on the same path. I think we can all agree to that!

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-02-21 10:17 AM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)