YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teacher cert classes
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

armyc4user
Posted 2011-01-28 3:45 AM (#202424)
Subject: Teacher cert classes

New User

Does anyone know of a good, trustworthy, and legit "at home" teacher cert course? I am an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician (Bomb Squad) in the Army and currently in Afghanistan and due to our job, we have to stay fit, calm and very grounded. I have been working yoga into my teams fitness regime and have enjoyed sharing it with my other two team mates so much that I eventually want to teach. I have been doing yoga for several years and I want to teach other soldiers as well. Any advice or direction would be fanstastic. I know going to a course is ideal but due to training requirements, schools and the lack of EOD Techs, I am never home. Thank you for support. Jay
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shiva
Posted 2011-02-02 8:41 PM (#202459 - in reply to #202424)
Subject: Re: Teacher cert classes

So cool that you want to bring Yoga to your fellow soldiers. I think you probably haven't gotten a response because there aren't many "at home" yoga teacher trainings at all, let alone good trustworthy ones. I think you may just have to educate yourself. Getting some beginners yoga videos and studying them, and a few good books. One that comes to mind is the Iyengar book that shows people in asana from every angle....let me see if I can find it on Amazon....well, I can't find it. Maybe someone here will remember the name. Anyway, there are lots of good books and a few well chosen books paired with a few videos would put you well on the way, though of course not as good as in person training.
armyc4user
Posted 2011-02-05 3:27 AM (#202483 - in reply to #202424)

New User

Shiva, thank you so much. I am getting ready to head home for R&R after eight months of non-stop work and I have some shopping to do! I just don't want to teach them the wrong way or bad habits but they seem to be taking to it well. I get reminded every morning about our "16:00 yoga class". I will look for that book and I have many good videos here already. Thanks again. Jay
jimcarter
Posted 2011-04-21 1:32 PM (#208194 - in reply to #202424)

hey great thinking I have also heard a lot that for yoga if you insist a lot then we can get a yoga teacher trainer, so that we can remain fit and can concentrate on our job or work.
Elizabeth_I
Posted 2011-05-19 5:09 AM (#208422 - in reply to #202424)

Thanks for the info!
purnayoga
Posted 2011-05-20 4:09 PM (#208445 - in reply to #202424)

Hello Jay,

Obviously circumstances here dictate some of the available choices.
I'm warmed to hear of your concern for imparting the practice to others in an appropriate and safe manner.

While I'm not one to discourage any pursuit of the practice, it is tough enough to learn one's own practice without a teacher and nearly impossible to be the teacher you have the potential to be without actual contact hours in training. Certainly there are materials available and one can develop a personal practice from them. What the nature of that practice is I could not assert. And surely over time one could teach from that personal practice. Think about this in terms of your own craft of Bomb Disposal. A certain depth of training is absolutely necessary.

The book alluded to above I believe is "Yoga: The Path to Holistic Health" by BKS Iyengar.

Hope this is helpful.

gordon

Edited by purnayoga 2011-05-20 4:11 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)