YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Differance between yoga and Pilates
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

rose11
Posted 2011-05-03 4:10 AM (#208263)
Subject: Differance between yoga and Pilates

I started this discussion, because mostly people are confusing between these two term, I hope my post will help for everybody to distinguished both.

Yoga
The yoga has been around for several thousands of years and it deemed to be more than simple form of exercise. It gives focus on lifestyle changed. The religious curing of the body is given as much of the attention within Yoga as the physical benefits to be reaped from the exercises, lots of importance to the breathing technique.
Pilates
Pilates is a modern form of exercise, originated in 20 century in Germany. It is living more focus on physical body, rather than religious aspect highlighted within the body. Pilates recommended as a physical treatment with its obvious toning effect. It can also improve overall person health after doing a regular exercise.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
roypotter
Posted 2011-05-20 6:21 AM (#208438 - in reply to #208263)
Subject: RE: Differance between yoga and Pilates

Regular

I completely agree with you that the differences between Pilates and yoga have always been an issue of discussion among people who are looking out for the best physical fitness regime for themselves. I would like to add some more differences:

Yoga is primarily used for stretching purposes, that is, in different yoga techniques, the body tries to use all of its muscle to stretch them properly, have more control over the body parts and achieve flexibility. The objective of Pilates, on the other hand, is to improve the core strength. Pilate is designed to make the body push its capability in order to improve the strength of different parts of the body.

Yoga focuses on integrating the mind, body and soul whereas Pilates focuses more on elongated postures; this places yoga in a position to not only physically but also spiritually heal a person.
Where breathing is an essential part of both yoga and Pilates, inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth is practiced in Pilates. Yoga involves breathing through the nose only. Pilates also includes a few Pilates machines in the exercise, whereas yoga is a purely exercise mat routine.

StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-07-23 1:42 PM (#208947 - in reply to #208263)
Subject: Re: Differance between yoga and Pilates

I think you dead on roypotter about the overall differences between yoga and pilates. I would however, not classify yoga as primarily used for stretching. It's much too comprehensive a practice in my mind.
sandradavis
Posted 2011-12-17 12:00 AM (#209643 - in reply to #208263)
Subject: Re: Differance between yoga and Pilates

Yoga is a religion. In the west, the "positions" that represent different aspects of prayer were stripped of their religious meanings for the most part and the positions were touted as beneficial relaxation/exercise techniques that balance the "chakras" or "chi" (pronounced - CHEE) which is the supposed energy center of the human body.

Pilates is an exercise regimen that uses a specific machine created by Mr. Pilates to achieve maximum health benefits by performing specific exercises with the least amount of exertion.expresspharmarx.com
optionsbinary
Posted 2012-02-28 5:42 AM (#210130 - in reply to #208263)
Subject: RE: Differance between yoga and Pilates

New User

What is yoga?
While some people think of yoga simply as physical exercise, it is actually a complete, holistic system for overall health and well-being. Having been practiced for thousands of years, yoga includes everything from physical postures (asanas), personal hygiene, and a healthy diet to premeditation, breathing, and relaxation techniques. The most advanced forms of meditation and self-realization are also a part of yoga.
What is Pilates?
Derived from ancient yoga asanas, the Pilates exercise system was developed by Joseph Pilates over 80 years ago. Practiced for decades by dancers, Pilates has become very popular in recent years. Although Pilates works the entire body, the primary focus is on the core muscles (abs, lower back, and stabilizing muscles). Pilates exercise machines (such as the “Reformer”) can add a weight training element to the workout, with very precise and fluid movements, making it safer than most weight training.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)