YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Books on Transcendental Meditation Technique - Suggestions??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

toasty
Posted 2011-12-10 12:06 PM (#209565)
Subject: Books on Transcendental Meditation Technique - Suggestions??

New User

Originally I was going to ask if anyone knew of any books that taught TM, but as I've only recently discovered, there are effectively Zero books on teaching the technique because it's largely a oral tradition. Be that as it may, I suppose what I'm now looking for is a book that teaches meditation *similar* to TM.

I should say that my goal isn't to specifically practice TM, rather I was turned onto the concept of meditation after reading (and listening to the audio book) “Creating Affluence” by Deepak Chopra. As simplistic as the book is, I've experienced a profound improvement in my life since I've been listening to the audiobook on a daily basis for several weeks. My intended goal through TM was to enhance my experience of what Chopra refers to as “the gap”. I've been able to calm and center myself a few times to slip into that state and found it quite profound. So profound that I've decided I would like to practice meditation as a means to more fully and regularly tap into my potential... without stressing about it. In the book/audio Chopra speaks about TM regularly and so -- with no prior 1st hand experience of meditation -- that's where I began my search.

I don't currently have the funds to invest in a 1-on-1 with a TM teacher, or sadly even an individual teaching the technique at a fraction of the cost. But I can afford books. Since apparently TM is an oral tradition, where can I direct my search for similar enlightenment? I really know very little about meditation. But I do know that what Chopra describes as “the gap between thoughts” is what I'd like to achieve. Whether it's TM or any other school of mediation, the means doesn't matter to me as much as the end.

Up to this point I've been a very analytical and logical person. But the small amount of calm I've experienced from reading Chopra's book regularly, I've begun to believe there's more potential out there for me to have a more fulfilling life. And so that's why I'm hunting for a good book.

So if you or anyone has any input, I'd greatly appreciate you.
Thanks again.

Edited by toasty 2011-12-10 12:09 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)