YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sore hamstrings and calf muscles in primary series
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Mk 1
Posted 2012-05-02 2:24 AM (#210440)
Subject: Sore hamstrings and calf muscles in primary series

New User

Hello!

So, I've finally got round to joining a yoga forum for my Ashtanga practice. I took it up at the beginning of the year and have practised most days since. I'm reading books, the internet, have had a number of led classes and am generally trying to approach it with the respect that it deserves.

I have naturally very tight hamstrings and calf muscles and sometimes they really ache the day after a good, hot session. Today I decided to opt out of the forward bend sequence to give them time to recover. Is that really bad? They're particularly tender after a 12 mile hike on Sunday too. I was still on the mat for the best part of an hour this morning.

Is the soreness/tenderness normal and should I push through the sequences anyway? Or should I go easy and let the back of my legs recover a bit before doing too much work on lengthening them with forward bends?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mk 1
Posted 2012-05-02 4:14 AM (#210441 - in reply to #210440)
Subject: RE: Sore hamstrings and calf muscles in primary series

New User

Edit: I should probably specify that I removed the seated forward bend sequence for this morning due to the muscle soreness, still managing the standard forward bends.
jpg
Posted 2012-05-02 11:32 AM (#210443 - in reply to #210440)

Hiking, running and bicycling all shorten your hamstrings. As a result, you will not be able to stretch them as much as before without injury and need to slowly work back to your previous level of flexibility. Do not ignore "soreness/tenderness" as it is how your body is telling you to go easy. If a muscle is sore or tender, it has been injured and needs to heal. Muscles heal best if you keep moving and stretching them gently. If you work through the pain, you are just re-injuring yourself.

Mk 1
Posted 2012-05-02 4:37 PM (#210444 - in reply to #210443)

New User

Great! Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify for anyone else who wants to share perspective (which would be appreciated), the effect was exaggerated this week after such a long walk, but I do generally get this soreness in my apparently-naturally-stiff calf and hamstring muscles the day after good, deep sessions anyway. I guess I'll just take it easy on the tender days!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)