YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ashtanga Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Ciara
Posted 2002-01-30 8:41 AM (#138)
Subject: Ashtanga Yoga

Wanna find out where I can do Ashtanga in Boston. Tried mail address baron-baptiste.com, but nothing came up.

Any more info for me???????
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shannon B.
Posted 2002-02-11 10:38 AM (#173 - in reply to #138)

Baron Baptiste has studios in Boston and Cambridge. See the site www.baronbaptiste.com . The classes are big and an experience to go to. www.o2yoga.com has Somerville classes as does www.yogawithjudi.com in Newton. All teach power or ashtanga yoga. Good luck in your practice.
Bostonyogini
Posted 2002-03-12 3:22 PM (#270 - in reply to #138)

Baron does not teach Ashtanga. It is power yoga.
Yogishan
Posted 2002-10-03 5:00 PM (#1060 - in reply to #138)

Try www.baronbaptiste.com for hot power vinyasa classes.
Other studios are www.backbayyoga.com and www.02yoga.com . They are more pure ashtanga if that matters. Baptiste has the most intense classes of in my experience.
Jess
Posted 2002-10-06 12:05 AM (#1074 - in reply to #138)

Baron Baptiste Does NOT teach ashtanga.
Go to www.o2yoga.com (in somerville) or www.backbayyoga.com (near newbury st and mass ave)
Jess
Posted 2002-10-06 12:07 AM (#1075 - in reply to #138)

just for info---
ashtanga is a set series of postures directly from teachers in india.
power yoga is more flexible, can be different every time, and draws it's influences from a number of yogic traditions, including ashtanga and others.
Kara
Posted 2002-11-19 4:43 PM (#1159 - in reply to #138)

Hi
The Yoga Studio in Newton, MA has teachers that are all certified to teach Astanga. Their website is www.yoga-cafe.com I highly recommend it.
Judii Multen
Posted 2002-12-07 10:51 PM (#1189 - in reply to #138)

honestly, DON"T , DO NOT go to the yoga studio in newton. the real owner plagarized another teachers teacher training manual and tried to pass it off as her own, then cursed someone out at the training and forcibly threw their possessions into the hall. Furthermore, one cannot truly be certified to teach ashtanga except by Pattabhi Jois in Mysore. Not to say there aren't good ashtanga teachers elsewhere, simply that a certain yoga studio owner is selling a lie to make BIG BUCKS. Up that mula bandha.
Mollie Bailey
Posted 2003-02-10 10:59 AM (#1311 - in reply to #138)

Back Bay yoga (in the back bay area) is a fantastic studio I visited. I highly recommend their classes. They offer a variety of classes and levels as well as Mysore (traditional) style ashtanga.
Good luck! P.s. they're on the web.
Bostonyogini
Posted 2003-03-06 12:13 PM (#1493 - in reply to #138)

pure ashtanga and power yoga have diff benefits and effects on the body. The primary series is designed to cleanse and purify the body. It does that like no other system. Power Yoga is aimed at strength more than anything and is less balanced. Some prefer one to the other which is great. Lets be clear that one is not the other.
Jb
Posted 2003-06-12 4:24 PM (#1981 - in reply to #138)

The Yoga Studio & Namaste Cafe is the best yoga studio I have ever been to. If you are looking for Ashtanga yoga in the suburbs check out this site: www.yoga-cafe.com
Jb
Posted 2003-08-01 6:50 PM (#2218 - in reply to #138)

Check out this cool Studio
www.yoga-cafe.com
Carol
Posted 2003-09-23 10:06 PM (#2449 - in reply to #138)

http://www.o2yoga.com/
Check out o2 yoga. Great teachers, great classes. I'm a certified 1st and 2nd series Ashtanga teacher and loved their classes.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-01-21 8:32 PM (#3287 - in reply to #138)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga Yoga

Why don't you cut to the chase and just go to Ashtanga.com? Betty lists all the Pattabhi-authorized teachers and studios in the world.

Never make the mistake that "power" yoga and Ashtanga are the same thing. That's a bastardization of the phrase coined by Beryl Bender Birch in her fabulous book "Power Yoga." She was referring to the power within, but as you're demonstrating, the world has come to incorrectly call Ashtanga "power" yoga. Other traditions' teachers have picked up on the term and made it financially lucrative now that yoga has hit the big time.

Someone else was correct. The one and only way to become authorized and/or certified (2 different things) in Ashtanga yoga is to go to Mysore to study with Pattabhi and do to it several times, several months at a time. Anyone who takes a week-long course them calls themselves "certified" are not only fooling themselves, but seriously misrepresenting themselves to the unwitting yoga public. I know several people who have done this, much to their subsequent embarrassment. An upfront, honest yoga studio true to the heart of Ashtanga will even title their teacher training as something like "a 200 hour certification in Hatha Yoga in the Ashtanga Tradition" or "Certification in the Vinyasa sytle of Hatha Yoga." The authorization and/or certification must come from Pattabhi. Period. Until he goes on to his great reward, then it'll probably come from his grandson. The moral of this rant is to ask about your teachers just as you would your doctor. You're trusting them with your body.

On that note, as someone who teaches in an authorized Ashtanga studio, I strongly recommend beginners to Ashtanga make certain not only that they either have a strong background in a form-oriented yoga tradition (Iyengar or Anusara) or that they make certain their teacher does. An Ashtanga teacher's Pattabhi training is essentially Nike: Just do it. Unfortunately, many don't know they're potentially injuries waiting to happen on their students. If they have another background, they can be more aware of alignments that can lead to future repetative stress injuries, such as jumping through on your finger tips (carpal tunnel) or Chaturanga with the elbows out to the side (tennis elbow BAD!). With the influx of gym members flocking to "power" yoga, thinking they can push through it, we see a lot of extremely bad form. We offer classes to work on a safer Ashtanga practice for that reason.

Carol, would you share your last name? You're a rare bird if Pattabhi has not only certified (vs. authorized) you, but in 1st AND 2nd Series? Wow! I don't see you listed as an O2 teacher. Do you guest teach there?

Just my .02.
Christine
Emily
Posted 2004-01-29 9:38 AM (#3397 - in reply to #138)

Christine,

If you go to www.o2yoga.com you will see that they actually offer Ashtanga classes.  Please ask questions to clarify rather than attacking other users.  It is disrespectful and rude.  

Engaging in discussion and educating one another in a supportive (not name calling or accusing manner) is what this forum is about.

I appreciate your postings, but please be sensitive and respectful of other users.

Namaste,

Emily

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-01-29 3:55 PM (#3412 - in reply to #138)

I appreciate your public reprimand without asking me to clarify. Perhaps you might ask?

I never questioned that O2 offered Ashtanga classes, and as a matter of fact looked through the entire stite because I wanted to learn more about this "certified" teacher. They are, in fact, rare birds.

My post was not intended to be disrespectful, but I do apologize if I hit one of your nerves. I was seeking clarification, which I think was pretty clear.

Christine
Emily
Posted 2004-01-30 2:11 PM (#3426 - in reply to #3412)

Christine,

You are correct, I should have asked for clarification. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.....

Namaste,
Emily
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-01 7:35 PM (#3442 - in reply to #138)

Apology accepted.
I've been a board monitor on different forums since 1986 when we paid by the KB transmission. One thing hard learned is to ALWAYS ask for clarification. As you know, without faces we apply our own feelings, sentiments, frustrations or joys to what we read. That's why one should never send off a letter mad, right?

I'd still love to get to talk with someone actually certified on the 2nd Series. I correspond with yogis all over the world through my web site and speak with someone certified through the 4th, but he's so busy I hate to bother him. I also question this certification, but then, I'm a skeptic about paper certifications. Just me! :0

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)