YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anxiety
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Mel
Posted 2002-04-12 12:51 PM (#350)
Subject: anxiety

I have been having bouts of anxiety, negative feelings and lost of thoughts. How can yoga help? Any specific moves? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark
Posted 2002-04-12 1:56 PM (#351 - in reply to #350)

Personally for that I would reccomend Dynamic Yoga by Godfrey Devereux.
Sarah
Posted 2002-04-16 10:48 PM (#365 - in reply to #350)

i know exactly what you mean. i have serious anxiety problems. i take some medication for it,and it doesnt seem to help. Im always sad,depressed about my life,sick,and very unhappy. I am still in high school as a senior and taking a starter class in yoga. We have done some postures that help me with myself and me as a person. but they dont last as long as i would want them too. All im saying is to try it. maybe youll be surprised. I was:)
Vicky
Posted 2002-04-17 8:04 PM (#367 - in reply to #350)

I think should sit down (or stand) and just stretch. Find a position where you can breath and feel the sensation. Try buying a yoga meditation video. You don't need all the fancy equipment they try and make you buy. If you don't want to watch a video, try a meditation cd. Lay down and listen to it. Enjoy yourself. That's what yoga is all about.
Kelly
Posted 2002-05-11 8:38 PM (#506 - in reply to #350)

yoga can help
it can help a lot
but if you are having anxiety attacks it might help to get some support
so you don't feel so overwhelmed by the attacks
many are afraid to get help
but there's nothing to fear, but fear itself
getting support may mean that you begin the process of identifying why you are having the attacks
so that you can have more of a sense of control
in the meantime:
kindness, kindness, kindness
kali yogini
Posted 2005-05-01 3:46 AM (#23236 - in reply to #350)
Subject: RE: anxiety

Mel, I have been working with students who suffer severe panic attacks accompanied by profound depression. We have found that a daily practice of surya namaskar (sun salutations)and pranayama (breathing exercises) are VERY effective. If you are a beginner, start with four complete rounds of surya namaskar, add one round every few days up to 12. Remember one round means 2 cycles- one to the left and one to the right. Two effective pranayama practices for anxiety: Sit in Padmasana (lotus posture) only if it is comfortable for you- if not assume simple pose - just make sure your spine is straight. If you need to sit against a wall it is okay- in fact this is better as you won't worry as much about your posture. Put your left hand on your left knee in jnana or chin mudra; i.e. tuck the pointer finger into the root of the left thumb with the remaining fingers extended. Jnana mudra (for knowledge) the palm is facing down, Chin muddra (for consciousness) the palm is facing skyward. With your right hand place the pointer and middle fingers on the eyebrow center begin by closing the right nostril with your thumb. Inhale evenly through the left nostril for six to eight seconds (if it is comfortable to take a longer inhale do so- but remember- in pranayama you should not be gasping for breath but REGULATING the breath- so no need to be a rockstar- do what is comfortable. Exhale an equal count. Do five inhalations and exhalations from the left nostril then switch- cover the left nostril and do five inhalations/exhalations - same count- on the right. Drop the hand and do five inhalations/exhalations with both nostrils (right hand assuems Jnana or chin mudra). This constitutes one round. Do five complete rounds. You might find yourself feeling fidgety or inclined to resist the practice- push through this. Remember- pranayama and meditation is work- you are afterall standing eye to eye with your own mental processes- this can be - and usually is incredibly challenging. So- find your strong balanced self and perservere. After completing the five round allow yourself to stay with back straight and continue to focus on your breathing. Ideally, you should work up to meditating for ten to fifteen minutes following completion of the exercise. Time permitting, you will benefit from practicing brahmari (humming bee breath). Again, sit in a comfortable meditation posture with your back straight. Plug the ears with your pointer fingers, inhale and on the exhale hum, evenly- don't ride the scale just hum an even note for the complete exhale. Begin with five rounds and work up to ten. You will do well to focus on your heart center and/or eybrow center during this exercise. If you have any questions or would like feedback on your practice contact me at centerstudioegypt@yahoo.com . Good luck, godspeed and remember the anxiety, negative feelings etc are NOT you but something you are experiencing. The essential self is strong, balanced and unchanging. love and prayers kali Om Shanthi, Hari Om Tat Sat
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-01 11:27 AM (#23241 - in reply to #350)

Greetings Mel (and others as well!) I don't know if you are still monitoring this post, since you didn't log in as a member, but I hope so - I think you will find help here.

I have coped for over 17 years with sometimes debilitating panic attacks, general anxiety, and agoraphobia - I understand completely how this can affect your life.

My yoga practise, such as it is, has helped me tremendously.  I practise power yoga - a vinyasa method which links breath to movement, and when you are focused in that way it takes power away from your anxiety.  I must agree with Kali about the meditation and pranayama as well - breathing exercises are important, and if you practise them when you are not anxious, you will feel all the more strong when you are, if you follow me.

However, I must also recommend a couple of other things.  Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is shown to be extremely beneficial with panic disorders.  I use it myself and cannot emphasize enough how much this can help you.  The premise is nothing new and can be found in the oldest of texts: change your thoughts, and you will change the way you feel.  Sounds simple - it's easier said than done sometimes!  However, once you have some tools under your belt to do this in times of high anxiety, you will feel much better and find that the anxiety has far less control over you. 

If you are unable to find a therapist who specializes (or at least is knowledgable with) CBT, try this book, "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David D. Burns.  (It's available on amazon.com, if not at your local bookstore.)  This book is excellent and can help you a LOT, trust me on this!  I call it my "anti-panic bible" - LOL.

I would also recommend a website: the Anxiety Panic internet resource (tAPir) features much information about different anxiety disorders and ways to get help, as well as a huge library of relevant articles, links, and a fabulous message board with a ton of supportive people who know exactly what you're going through.  The address is: http://www.algy.com/anxiety/index.shtml

And to those I must add: if you smoke, please quit!  Smoking can seem like a lifeline in times of anxiety, but is anything but - it will kill you.  If you (or anybody else!) need help quitting, please try www.quitnet.com - I quit 387 days ago   (YAY ME!) LOL  I'm so thankful I did it!

And as a final thought: you might be helped by medication.  If your situation feels dire, I would recommend speaking to your doctor about it.  I was adamantly against this at first (and still have reservations, honestly) but I must admit that meds sometimes do help where other methods fail.  Use your judgement.

I hope that will help!  Good luck to all of you!
Namaste!
Echo

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-01 11:37 AM (#23243 - in reply to #350)
Subject: An additional word on CBT

I mentioned cognitive behavior therapy in my previous post, and thought I'd add the following... I've collected these quotes over the years from a variety of sources, and keep them all together with my anti-anxiety books.  I hope you will find them meaningful

Thoughts on Thoughts

"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he." - Proverbs 23:7

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought; it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts." - Buddha; the Dhammapada

"For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be." - Matthew 6:21

"A man is what he thinks about all day long." - Emerson

"A man's life is what his thoughts make it." - Marcus Aurelius

"Change your thoughts and you change your world." - Norman Vincent Peale

"The Japanese, concentrating on the abdomen, rid their minds of useless luggage.  The Sufi dervishes, using their feet, also rid their minds of useless luggage.  The ridding of luggage is more important than the method.  What is needed is a method that works, not a philosophy about method, which can be very confusing." - Sufi Ahmed Murad

"All will vanishes from life for him who keeps the sun in his heart." - Ramayana

I hope these will help any of you reading this, as I find them all most compelling!  (And btw, if anybody would like to add to my collection of "Thoughts on Thoughts", please post here or send me a PM!!! 

Best to you,

Echo

AJAX78
Posted 2005-05-02 4:36 PM (#23298 - in reply to #350)

I can understand you very well.All I can say is that yoga can help but it needs a lot of time.For beginning I suggest you to read "Bliss Divine" by Swami Sivananda and Biography of a yogi by Yogananda,you'll surely feel better.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)