YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Weight Loss?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Angie
Posted 2002-07-31 7:56 PM (#845)
Subject: Yoga and Weight Loss?

Is there any style of yoga or postures that will help a person lose weight?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sunil
Posted 2002-08-02 9:33 AM (#854 - in reply to #845)

Every form of yoga can help you loose weight. But remember, loosing weight the yoga way is not about burning calories through exercise. It is about re-harmonising the flow of energy in your body. The body will, itself, then work to return to its optimal state.
Angie
Posted 2002-08-03 3:29 PM (#867 - in reply to #845)

Thanks for the response. Have you yourself lost weight doing yoga? What type of yoga do you do? I am taking a Kripalu yoga class right now, I am enjoying it alot.
Sunil
Posted 2002-08-05 4:59 PM (#872 - in reply to #845)

Hi Angie: I've never been too overweight - max 4Kg more than I'd like to be - and that's invariably happened when I havent done yoga for a while or indulged in holiday feasing!! Resuming yoga has always brought the weight back to the norm. I started Yoga in India. There it is common to just call it 'Yoga'. I became aware of all these names only after I returned to the West. I follow Raja Yoga in which the spiritual side of Yoga is important too. - Sunil
Angie
Posted 2002-08-09 9:08 PM (#889 - in reply to #845)

I know what you mean about the holiday feasting :) It certainley is easier to put weight on though. Do you know anything about the salutations and different phrases used in yoga? I am familiar with Namaste, but I do not know what Jai Bhagwhan (spelling ?) means...can you shed any light on it?
Helen
Posted 2002-08-25 8:12 AM (#924 - in reply to #845)

Hi! I am going to attend my very first yoga class on Tuesday. I also hope to lose weight through yoga. I am positive that I will!
Angie
Posted 2002-08-26 3:22 PM (#929 - in reply to #845)

I have been doing it for 6 weeks now and I have lost some weight. I also recommend the Yoga for Weight Loss DVD or video. I found it on the yoga journal web site.....good luck
Monica
Posted 2002-08-30 9:49 PM (#951 - in reply to #845)

I don't think it is what postures, but maybe what type of yoga. For example power (ashtanga) yoga is a rather strenuous series of interconnected poses. I am guessing that from a pure calorie-burning standpoint, that should help you lose weight. But then again, do you want to weigh less, or look better? If you exercise, you will build muscle and may very well gain weight (muscle is heavier that phat), while your clothes will hopefully start flapping in the wind.
In the end, if you want to lose weight for good, you need to burn more than you are taking in over the long run.
Angie
Posted 2002-09-03 12:43 AM (#954 - in reply to #845)

I would rather have my clothes look better...or better yet get smaller in size. I'm not overly concerned with the numbers on the scale. That's exactly my problem, I eat very little only when I'm hungry and I tend to eat healthy food but yet I have gained weight recently...can't quite figure it out.
K
Posted 2002-12-30 10:30 PM (#1221 - in reply to #845)

Angie, The reason your gaining weight is because your not eating enough. You should have six small healthy meals a day. That combined with your yoga should help increase your metabolism. You should try to add a heat-seeking activity to your practice such as Astanga and/or Vinyasa...

Good Luck!
Sat Sangeet
Posted 2003-01-02 7:20 PM (#1231 - in reply to #845)

I've been practicing Kundalini Yoga for the past 4 years and my weight changed dramatically 20-30lbs. with this yoga practice. As limiting thoughts and beliefs that I harboured in the tisssues of my body transformed and released, through the practice of this transformational yoga the weight began to fall off. My food choices changed and I began to understand myself on a very deep level and why I make the choices I do around food. (See yogatech.com for KY info) Goodluck!
Kim
Posted 2003-01-16 8:31 AM (#1264 - in reply to #845)

there is a tape by living arts called Yoga For Weight Loss. its hosted by suzanne deason. i really enjoyed it. if you cant find it at a store, go to gaiam.com.
Ray
Posted 2003-01-18 5:41 PM (#1267 - in reply to #845)

Hi,
Following you will find an article on a program I am putting on which has some details on ways yoga can aid and enhance a weight control program. Since yoga encourages conscious decision making it is ideal for helping us to embrace healthy lifestyle choices.
Peace, Ray

Health Currents/
Mala Hoffman

Building your digestive fire

According to yoga teacher and practitioner Ray Greenberg, the same principles inherent in yoga can be used to augment a weight loss program. "Yoga is all about breaking personal barriers," Greenberg explains. "We can easily apply that idea to the successful long-term regulation of body weight."

Through Yoga for Weight Control, a program Greenberg designed that will be held twice a week for six weeks at the Rose Women’s Care Service in Highland, participants will have an opportunity to examine their food habits while learning a variety of yoga techniques and tools.

"Most dieters know that the body tends to resist the loss of weight," Greenberg notes. "Just as we think we’re making headway, there are biological changes that impede our progress. The body holds onto foods and liquids, giving us a bloated feeling, and the metabolism slows down. All of this starts to act on your mind to make you question the process."

But yoga tends to benefit the digestive process, relaxing the system increasing metabolism to build, as Greenberg puts it, "digestive fire" — the ability to process food efficiently. He says yoga can also "help to focus the mind and make it possible for [dieters] to achieve their goals."

Though Greenberg has been contemplating the connection between yoga and weight loss for a number of years, mostly as a result of his own experience with it, the program itself is brand-new. The Tuesday sessions will be used to develop individual plans for each participant, including identifying self-defeating habits and routines and increasing consciousness about attitudes towards food and physical activity. The Thursday sessions will be a traditional raja-style yoga class that will emphasize three specific daily routines that participants can bring home with them.

In addition to the digestive exercises, the routines include breathing postures, warm-ups, strengthening and toning. "There will also be balancing postures, which are good for relaxation and for building intention," Greenberg says. For the first three weeks, the students will learn one of the routines, so that by the end they will be able to use them on a rotation. "It’s set up in such a way that the more advanced students can actually do all three in one day in an hour and a half," he adds.

One thing Greenberg doesn’t want is a "guru model" where he leads and the group follows. Diet, as with yoga, is a very personal process. "When you do the physical posture, you have to slow down and see how you feel. Is this right for me? Is this comfortable? The program is the same process, but applied to diet and exercise," he emphasizes.

The classes will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:30 to 9 p.m. for six weeks starting January 21. The fee is $108 if received by January 13 and $130 thereafter. The class is limited to 12 participants and will be held at the Rose Women’s Care Service, 24 Main Street in Highland. To register, contact Shari Hanofee at 691-3592. For more information about the program, contact Greenberg at 255-3133 or go to his website at http://www.yogalifestyle.com/.++

r
yogaforweightloss
Posted 2011-01-18 2:58 AM (#147872 - in reply to #845)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Weight Loss?

There certainly is but keep in mind (the same as every weight loss solution) there is so one silver bullet which will do it overnight. You still need to eat and sleep properly and multiple types of exercise also helps.
success in life
Posted 2011-01-28 3:24 AM (#202422 - in reply to #845)
Subject: Re: Yoga and Weight Loss?

New User

Yoga realy help my ;)
julybrown2010
Posted 2011-01-29 12:51 AM (#202437 - in reply to #845)

New User

Yoga tones the body in a uniformed manner, unlike any weight loss program which claims to decrease your butts. Yoga can be practised at any age to keep the body supple. Including yoga in weight-loss programs, over and above its ability to reduce stress and lower blood pressure.
StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-02-12 3:05 PM (#202580 - in reply to #845)

In addition to viewing yoga as a weight loss source, it should also be looked an important start to losing weight by other means. For some, yoga can be a great introduction to really knowing your body; understanding its limitations and areas of weakness. Through regular yoga practice, you'll know exactly what your body can achieve and where it needs to go. With a greater appreciation for your body, greater flexibility, control and movement, you'll be well on your way to incorporating other more strenuous and calorie-burning exercises.
calotrenpamela
Posted 2011-02-24 12:00 AM (#202805 - in reply to #845)

You can try Ashtanga yoga, Power yoga and hot yoga. It may be help you.
channingahujia
Posted 2011-03-25 6:39 AM (#207965 - in reply to #845)

Some types of yoga, such as Iyengar, in which yoga poses are captivated for several account with a comatose period between each pose, will body anatomy and advance your posture, but will not accord you the cardiovascular conditioning you charge to lose weight.
neonpatrick
Posted 2011-05-24 1:14 PM (#208469 - in reply to #845)

Yoga is mostly done for good health and for fitness.There are so many Yoga Aasan for losing weight.On e of the most popular and beneficial Aasan was surya namaskar.This Yoga aasan had an multiple benefit and was so good for losing weight,for eye and for removing any other pain in the body.
Marina_J
Posted 2011-05-26 5:10 AM (#208480 - in reply to #845)

All yoga is beneficial for human body. In weight lose case, any yoga practicing will build strength. If you want to weight lose then you must eat healthily and burn calories by doing exercise that raises your heart rate on a regular basis. The ashtanga yoga is very beneficial and many advantages for those who want to lose weight.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-21 12:18 PM (#208742 - in reply to #845)

Regular

I think Ashtanga yoga, Power Yoga, Hot Yoga, Vinyasa or flow yoga are some of the forms of yoga that will help you lose weight.
rbon450
Posted 2011-06-23 7:07 AM (#208764 - in reply to #208742)

Yoga is for increasing your mental growth, mental strength. It relax the human body.Yoga is always useful. It has no disadvantages. I heard about that it is effective for loosing weight but i do not know what are the yoga type which is effective for loosing weight.
jimcarter
Posted 2011-06-23 2:51 PM (#208767 - in reply to #845)

In reality there is ONLY ONE WAY to lose weight (fat), you must use more calories then you take in. With ALL the products and marketing out there it all comes down to that one statement.

This is why diets do not really work, Yes you do need to watch what you eat, but not eating is worse for you then eating to much (I know it is not worse for your hips, but it is worse for your health). We need to have a balanced diet that gives us the nutrition we need and also keeps the calories to a manageable level.
jimcarter
Posted 2011-06-23 2:54 PM (#208768 - in reply to #845)

In reality there is ONLY ONE WAY to lose weight (fat), you must use more calories then you take in. With ALL the products and marketing out there it all comes down to that one statement.

This is why diets do not really work, Yes you do need to watch what you eat, but not eating is worse for you then eating to much (I know it is not worse for your hips, but it is worse for your health). We need to have a balanced diet that gives us the nutrition we need and also keeps the calories to a manageable level.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)