YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginning a practice at home
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Julie
Posted 2002-10-05 12:08 PM (#1072)
Subject: Beginning a practice at home

I have been taking yoga classes for almost two years. I work and have 2 young children. I need suggestions to help me find the time to do my own practice. Namaste
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Leelee
Posted 2002-10-23 10:36 PM (#1103 - in reply to #1072)

It helped me to break up my home practice into a series of little practices that I could do different times of the day. In the morning, try a quick warm-up back stretch, a couple of standing poses, one back bend, one forward bend, twist, Savasana and/or a quick seated meditation. Ten minutes tops. The kids will usually watch Sponge Bob or other cartoons for that long. Later, after the kids' bedtime, try a few forward bends and relaxing twist, or even shoulderstand. You can then have a nice long savasana/meditation in bed and drift off to sleep. Remember, it's not the quantity of poses you squeeze in, but rather the quality of a few favorite poses that will give you a satisfying home practice. Good luck!
Teacher
Posted 2002-11-25 12:16 AM (#1174 - in reply to #1072)

Dear Julie
Sounds like you have trouble finding the time to practice at home. Are you married? Can your partner entertain the kids while you practice? Can you find time after they go to bed?
Try different times- some people find early morning works well for them. I'm too stiff and prefer evenings or afternoon.But, like with any type of "workout" it takes a good half hour to reap the physical benefits of yoga,and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes ending with savasana to fully relax the bodymind,so a few minutes here and there will only feel good for a few minutes here and there.
Putting some variation in your practice will help keep it alive. For example, one day do only salutes to the sun, focusing on all the little details: feet, toes, spine, back, shoulders, etc. (it involves ,after all, 12 poses) So, play with it. One day you could focus on relaxing forward bends, or you could do a session of standing poses, for strength, heck, you could even design a therapeutic series of poses, for when you dont really feel like doing any yoga at all.Be creative with your practice and above all,finish with some easy breathing.
Before you know it, your practice will make you feel so renewed, that you will find the time on a regular basis,and enjoy the energy it gives you.There are yoga cards available,that have a hundred poses grouped on index cards with the names in english and sanskrit- comes in a handy little box- you can design a personal practice. Ask your yoga teacher or check Yoga Journal.
Good luck,
namaste.
Lisa
Posted 2002-12-11 10:32 PM (#1194 - in reply to #1072)

Hi - I had been taking yoga classes for about 2 years too but stopped going about 3 months ago and began a practice at home. Since then, my practice has been much more focused and personal. I love it even more than before! I also have 2 young children and a full time job. I get up at 5:00 every morning to practice. I find this a very peaceful and spiritual time. Also, I find it's the only 'alone' time I can get, so I make it a priority to get up early. I hope you can find time to practice at home too!
Jess
Posted 2002-12-17 6:13 PM (#1209 - in reply to #1072)

Hi Julie-
It may help to set aside a regular time, either daily or several times a week, for your own practice. You may want to literally pencil it into a planner and treat it like any other important appointment.

You may also want to start a list of the benefits yoga brings to your life, and when you are wondering "do I have time to practice" to take a look at the list.

It's less important how much time you spend on the mat, and more important that you get there. Perhaps making the kids a part of the practice would help, or asking them to respect your yoga time.

Best of luck,
Jess
abhay
Posted 2003-12-03 1:22 AM (#2787 - in reply to #1072)
Subject: hi

would like to be yr friend bcoz i am also practicing yoga. my email: firozfit@yahoo.com
Mary
Posted 2003-12-09 5:02 PM (#2837 - in reply to #1209)
Subject: Re: Beggining Videos

I like to try one of your yoga things you'll do every day to stay flexible. See i wanted to learn how to do splits and backflips and balanced my self but i just can't find the right thing for me. But when i seen you'll shows on t.v. i was thinking in my head and then i ran to told my mother that i finally seen the yhing that i always wanted to be in so i would like to join your group or you just can send me one of your videos.

Sinecerley:Mary
Brendan
Posted 2003-12-30 4:07 PM (#2985 - in reply to #1072)
Subject: RE: Beginning a practice at home

Hi,

Even though I'm just a beginner, and a busy Systems Administrator, I've comitted myself to Yoga, and have found time to practice twice a day--once in the morning and once in the evening (unless, of course, I happen to be on-call.) I do two 45 minute to 1 hour workouts. Two hours a day keeps arthritis away!
zebulon
Posted 2004-02-03 8:54 PM (#3489 - in reply to #1072)
Subject: RE: Beginning a practice at home

yoga is wonderfull
i enjoy my sence of blance
it also gives mental stability
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)