YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Institutes, Certification, Teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Marinella Nesso
Posted 2002-11-06 1:25 PM (#1132)
Subject: Institutes, Certification, Teaching

There are many studios offering Teaching Certifications. How does one determine the best school, ie. criteria or checklist. Also, are there any recommendations on excellent literature or audio for Yogis. I am very passionate about yoga and am very interested in sharing my passion with others, however like universities have their ranking, how does Yoga come into play. I am sure many are aware of the money making schemes for yoga, and I would like to steer from this. Welcome all advise, Nameste
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ronelle Momple
Posted 2002-11-08 11:42 AM (#1135 - in reply to #1132)
Subject: Institutes, Certification, Teaching

Hello,

I am doing some research on yoga and yoga instructors. I work for a film company in Cape Town and we are doing a Danone commercial which requires us to find a good yoga instructor and an ethnically diverse range of ages of people doing yoga.

If you can help me or know someone who can, I would really appreciate your help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Ronelle Momple
Tel: 021 423 1512

Lo
deepsubodh
Posted 2006-11-30 1:27 AM (#70506 - in reply to #1135)
Subject: RE: Institutes, Certification, Teaching

respected sir, om shri hari, namaskar

sir, my name is DHARM SUBODH, and im a yoga teacher and a yoga therapist.im from india. i have five year experience in yoga.im follower of pantanjalya yoga darshanam.in the begining2001 i did yoga in haridwar ashram from a real yogi (sw.radha krishan a traditional yoga sanyasi ) who was from real himalayan caves gangotri .he gave me every thing on yoga like (yam ,niyam,asana,pranayama,pratyaahara,dhyan,dharna and now im trying for samadhi) after that i did a yoga course in 2002from tapovan dhyan dham rishikesh (uttranchal india)under the guidence of a reputed teacher of kavalyadham lonavala named yogi yogendra. then i instructed there after my course as a teacher for one year,after that im conducting my own camps on yoga and meditation in ludhiana(punjab)and i have conducted a yoga camp for one month in indian army in bhuj(gujrat) i knows all the aspect on yoga , i know the trinity of yoga
1 . hatha yoga(yoga for body)
2.raja yoga(yoga for mind)
3 . tantra yoga(yoga for soul)
i have a total programe on yoga, yoga for kids, yoga for daily fitness, yoga for therapy (yoga for diabtes, yoga for backache,yoga for acting classes, yoga for arthirits,yoga for spondilytis,yoga for heart patient and for all types of disease and yoga for weight loss) and chhakra therapy , meditational therapy (how u heel urself with the help of meditation) im a "yoga massager" also. sir , i can give total relaxation to a person with the help of (,yoga asans,pranayam,meditation,head massage,body massage,foot massage )and this programe is good for a heavenly experience and i can proove it.im sending u my complete biodata if u r interested in my work give me a e mail im ready to becme a member of a great team.my wife is a yoga teacher like me
NAME------------DHARM SUBODH(DIPAK KUMAR)
D.O.B --------------27/11/1977
QUALIF-------------1- GRADUATE (P.U.CHANDIGARH)
2.GIANI, A COURSE ON INDIAN RELIGION
(P.U.PATIALA)
3.SIX MONTH DIPLOMA ON YOGA
(T.P. DHAM RISHIKESH)
WORK EXPERIENCE OF FIVE YEAR IN YOGA, I HAVE ALL THE CERTIFICATE WHICH ARE RELATED TO MY FIELD.
OM SHRI HARI NAMASKAR GOD BLESS U
I THINK YOGA THERAPY WILL BE A VERY GOOD ATTRACTION FOR THE TOURIIST I CAN GIVE ADDITIONAL SERVICES AS A DANCE TEACHER SPECIAL IN PUNJABI FOLK ;BHANGRA; AND WESTERN BOLLYWOOD STYLE ALSO, THANX TO READ THIS MAIL

Posted 2006-11-30 4:38 PM (#70591 - in reply to #1132)

Wow I just don't know where to begin with this post. Yikes on so many fronts.
Let me see if I can deal with this conglomeration.

Marinella you first.
Yep there are some folks turning out certified yoga teachers by the thousands. Ranking in the millions, and I'm not sure what they are actually teaching. How to avoid this is another issue though.

I personally look at a couple of things. One, the lineage of the instructors. That is who are they and who would be my teachers teacher. While lineage may not be necessary to land on a good teacher it is one component I'd begin looking at.

Second, what is the curicuulm offered by the program? Does it include enough asana, anatomy, philosophy. How many contact hours are offered int he program. Who is doing the instructing? If the school guarantees you a certificateafter completeing your time then I'd wonder. I always like the schools that say "completion of the program does not guarantee certification". You shoul dactually have to demonstrate that you can teach at the end of your program and your cert should depend on it.

Third, take some classes. My god please take some classes at the place where you're considering training. At leat a workshop or two witht he head honcho. Look around. Who are your peers? What sort of support do you feel? The work to find the right school for you is done ultimately in the heart, not in the head. Ah but you must have the information first.

Obviously everyone feels strongly about THEIR teacher. So everyone will tell you to study with so-and-so. You have to connect with this person. When you find someone who's light, goldne, you will know it.

Now to Ronelle - It appears you are legit and perhaps employed by McKenzie Rudolphe which is a film house. Okay. Fine. PLease in the future start your own thread.

If you're doing a project and want to find a teacher that's fine. But this person posted for a reply to their question about teacher trainings and your thingy is in the way!. Basically I'm telling you "ooops".

There are many wonderful teachers on this board and one might be anxious to make a commercial for yoghurt. But who knows. Most commercials involving yoga are grossly inaccurate and I suspect there's no real yoga person on site to consult. And frankly, even if there was, I suspect in the interest of pleasing a client and swaying a public accuracy isn't a priority.

And to Deepsubodh posting an obnoxiously long resume...I think INSIDE the thread of a post is not an appropriate place to post ones 400 word resume. I understand the mission, "get work as a yoga teacher" but perhaps a personal message or PM next time directly to the solicitor would be more appropriate. In this case the person posted a phone number. You want the job then make the phone call brother.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-11-30 4:56 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-11-30 11:19 PM (#70637 - in reply to #1132)
Subject: RE: Institutes, Certification,

Marinella Nesso - 2002-11-06 1:25 PM

There are many studios offering Teaching Certifications. How does one determine the best school, ie. criteria or checklist. Also, are there any recommendations on excellent literature or audio for Yogis. I am very passionate about yoga and am very interested in sharing my passion with others, however like universities have their ranking, how does Yoga come into play. I am sure many are aware of the money making schemes for yoga, and I would like to steer from this. Welcome all advise, Nameste

Ranking of Schools and Teachers! More important is ranking of yourself as a teacher trainee. You must be a good teacher trainee to make use of any training that is available.

a) First you have to know what you want to become as a Yoga Teacher.
b) What you are willing to become and stay a teacher.
c) Why you want to become a Yoga Teacher.

ETC.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-11-30 11:22 PM (#70638 - in reply to #1135)
Subject: RE: Institutes, Certification,

Ronelle Momple - 2002-11-08 11:42 AM

Hello,

I am doing some research on yoga and yoga instructors. I work for a film company in Cape Town and we are doing a Danone commercial which requires us to find a good yoga instructor and an ethnically diverse range of ages of people doing yoga.

If you can help me or know someone who can, I would really appreciate your help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Ronelle Momple
Tel: 021 423 1512

Lo

I apologize in advance for any unintended offense. Also, I could have kept quiet, but in this case I am helpless. In my honest opinion, this Research is useless and waste of time. Nothing constructive shall come out of it. But, I shall be very open to know the progress of it with time, on this forum.
jonnie
Posted 2006-12-01 5:47 AM (#70647 - in reply to #1132)

Dear Marinella and Ronelle,

Marinella:

You don't mention where you are from or what style of Yoga you practise.

If you are already practising with a teacher and in a style you are comfortable with, you may want to ask their advice. If not, I advise finding a style you are comfortable with and practise regularly with your teacher for at least three years (minimum) before considering teaching. This is only my opinion and some Yoga federations or Yoga.com forum members may argue that three years experience is too much or too little. The Yoga Alliance (there are European and American versions) offer guidelines for 200 and 500 hour certifications. Though again, in my opinion this should be the minimum requirement to start teaching.

There may also be a 'Governing Body' for Yoga in your country. These sometimes tend to be quite controversial (like the BWY in the U.K) but may also offer you good advice.

Ronelle:

I practise Iyengar and Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. I have included a link for the Iyengar Association of South Africa:

http://www.bksiyengar.co.za

This particular style caters for a diverse level of students, from the young or old, super fit and flexible or stiff and injured.

Ashtanga Yoga is a little more dynamic, though I don't know of any 'certified' instructors in S.A.

I hope this helps you.

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2006-12-01 10:17 AM (#70671 - in reply to #70647)

Expert Yogi

Guys - Marinella posted in 2002. I doubt she is checking in with us now...
jonnie
Posted 2006-12-01 10:28 AM (#70679 - in reply to #1132)

oop's now I feel very foolish!

I wonder if his advert ever got made...

Jonathon

Posted 2006-12-03 6:19 PM (#70907 - in reply to #70671)

Well then can someone please PRUNE the post?
Bollocks!

tourist - 2006-12-01 7:17 AM

Guys - Marinella posted in 2002. I doubt she is checking in with us now...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)