YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home studio
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Donna Gordon
Posted 2002-11-09 6:56 PM (#1144)
Subject: Home studio

My husband and I practice ashtanga at studios, but are interested in turning our guest room into a home-studio. We were wondering if anyone has any suggestions on flooring. We currently have carpeting and know nothing about wood floors. It seems to me that some of the better studios have some kind of super-shock absorbing floor system. Anyone have any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zoe
Posted 2002-11-21 4:04 PM (#1162 - in reply to #1144)

Honestly I don't think it matters much. I've practiced Ashtanga on wood, carpet, concrete, sand, marble, stone, grass - all good. mattresses aren't great though
Jed
Posted 2003-04-03 11:51 AM (#1648 - in reply to #1144)

Donna - a large number of yoga studios also double as an aerobics or dance studio (or maybe it is the other way around). These studios do have a spring flooring which can often be prohibitively expensive for personal use. However, unless your personal practice includes grande jetes and wild jumping and leaping, I think you will be okay without it. Spring flooring is really just to make pounding/landing/jumping movements more light on your limbs. Best of luck!
Ash Aragam
Posted 2003-04-03 3:50 PM (#1650 - in reply to #1144)

To add, I have practised Yoga for at least 15 years on a cement floor. You should be fine with a wooden floor. A carpet makes the balancing postures a bit hard. But I can get to balance if I set my mind on it.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-01-21 8:35 PM (#3288 - in reply to #1144)
Subject: RE: Home studio

The one and only thing Pargo is good for, is flooring in yoga studios. It peels under normal wear, but for bare feet it's inexpensive and pretty.

But what do you NEED? Nothing. Yoga has been done for centuries in dirt and on concrete. Some studios have carpeting (gross) and some have linoleum. Throw your mat down, if you use one, and knock yourself out.

How lucky to have the space and partner to dedicate a space for your practice!

Christine
Emily
Posted 2004-02-03 12:54 PM (#3474 - in reply to #3288)

I think it's Pergo flooring http://www.pergo.com/SplashDefault.asp.

Namaste,
Emily
syrie
Posted 2004-05-18 6:34 PM (#6569 - in reply to #1144)

Di d you ever decide on the flooring for your home studio? We are beginning one now and I am torn. I am leaning towards bamboo.

Posted 2004-05-18 7:03 PM (#6570 - in reply to #6569)

I went to a power yoga practice awhile ago and the studio had bamboo floors--no big deal I thought--just like any other flooring.
LoraB
Posted 2004-05-18 9:14 PM (#6580 - in reply to #1144)

If you are thinking about bamboo, it's important to consider a few things. First, it's a little more expensive than conventional wood flooring. Second, it will dent a little bit easier. That being said, however, it is beautiful. I also think it's a nice touch for a yoga studio because of the environmental aspects. It only takes 5 years to grow as opposed to the twenty or so for something like pine or oak and can be replenished at a greater rate. It is comparable in strength to a conventional oak floor, and of course the appearance can vary. It can also be treated to increase durability and stained to enhance the finishes. You can check ecofriendlyflooring.com for some more information about bamboo flooring (check out the recycled glass tiles too - they're gorgeous), and huronhardwoodfloors.com may have bamboo as well. Both companies will be able to provide samples for you - Eco Friendly Flooring does charge about $3 for each sample but Huron will send them at no charge. Good luck, and I'm envious! Let us know how it turns out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)