YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone practicing Kripalu?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kripalu YogaMessage format

Angie
Posted 2003-04-07 12:10 AM (#1661)
Subject: Anyone practicing Kripalu?

Anyone practicing Kripalu? I do and I'd like to chat with others that do. Please respond if you care to talk.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dan
Posted 2003-06-24 5:14 PM (#2030 - in reply to #1661)

Hi Angie,

I just enrolled in a Kripalu class that will begin July 8. I am a beginning Yoga Student (with 3 months experience) and don't really know what to expect from Kripalu yoga however the introduction classes I attended were very interesting and I felt amazing after each of the sessions.

I would be very interested to hear about your experience with Kripalu Yoga and in the near future share my experiences with you.
Angie
Posted 2003-06-25 11:37 PM (#2041 - in reply to #1661)

Hi Dan,
I'm sure you will love your Kripalu class, I know I do! I have been studying Kripalu for over a year now and I am just beginning intermediate level classes. My experiences have all been positive. I feel better, I am more flexible, less stressed and have some relief of chronic back and hip pains. Kripalu is a more gentle form of yoga very focused on proper alignment and breathing techniques. Its a good workout but also very relaxing. Where are you studying at? If you have any other questions feel free to reply or email me.
Namaste,
Angie
cac
Posted 2004-01-19 3:44 PM (#3255 - in reply to #1661)
Subject: RE: Anyone practicing Kripalu?

I'm practicing Kripalu yoga daily... and have been for the past 4 years. Currently I'm in process of completing my yoga teacher training with a Kripula teacher.

Please feel free to contact me @ ccicero@mindspring.com.
zebulon
Posted 2004-02-03 8:43 PM (#3488 - in reply to #1661)

i do yoga but never practice kripula and want to chat with you to knok what it is
Cindy
Posted 2004-02-04 2:12 PM (#3500 - in reply to #3488)

Hello,

I can give you an intellectual and procedural explaination, however the knowing is in the doing. Please visit www.kripula.com. I recommend ordering the gentle then dynamic yoga video. After working with this type of yoga, you'll start to experience and question you're own personal experience through the process which is nutured by the instructors on the video.

I'm sure you've reached a place of awareness from your current practice of yoga --- this takes you a step further.

Cindy
Ken
Posted 2004-02-22 5:34 PM (#3957 - in reply to #1661)

I practice Kripalu...I would love to go back east and take classes at the center. Tell me what you do. Ken kenawade37@msn.com
CGG
Posted 2005-03-13 1:32 PM (#18954 - in reply to #1661)

I take a class with a Kripalu teacher once a week. It's very relaxing, more reflective than my other classes. One of these days I'd like to do a weekend retreat at the Kripalu Center. Has anyone been? What was it like?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-14 9:58 PM (#19086 - in reply to #18954)

Expert Yogi

Kripalu is in the process of changing. They've actually put meat on the menu there!
Next thing you know, they'll have a bar/lounge in place of one of the meditation rooms
(just kidding!!).

I visited the place once, and I enjoyed it; but I don't think I would go alone again.
The food (then vegetarian) was good. There were no "rules police" as I had feared.
I was able to go and do my own practice in one of their yoga rooms on my own schedule.
I was able to think of Nataraja quite a lot. I had a roommate who snored, but so do I
(they have snoring room assignments). He kept me up 'til 4 am the first night, and I
probably got him back the next night (...ZZZ....ZZZ....ZZZ...ZZZ....ZZZ....ZZZ...). The
one thing was that I got bored between program times, meals, and my own practice.
It would have been better to have someone with me to talk to. One day, I will turn
my wife into a yogini.....

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-14 10:10 PM (#19090 - in reply to #19086)

Expert Yogi

And then there was another Ashram that I visited, again with an assigned
roommate. So I was sleeping peacefully the first night, I remember rolling
over in the wee hours thinking "aaahhh, it's great to be here, and I'm sleeping
sooooo well for the first time in weeks." Then, a while later, I found myself
gradually waking up...I sat up with a start to hear a voice loudly intoning:

Will you please SHUT UP!!!!

I looked across the room to see my roomie grumpily yanking his covers over
his head. It was about 3 am.

I think that neither of us slept again that night.

Around 5:30 or 6:00, I got out of bed and went to shower....I was absently mindedly
singing in the shower (yes, I'm afraid I am one of those indomitable people who
never quite get it...just go forward with a smile on your face...). Apparently, I woke
poor roomie again, even though the shower was way down the hall...I'm glad that
he was not carrying a gun, for I would surely not be here to report the story!

All things considered, he was rather good about it all.
CGG
Posted 2005-03-14 11:56 PM (#19105 - in reply to #19086)

Kripalu is in the process of changing. They've actually put meat on the menu there!
Next thing you know, they'll have a bar/lounge in place of one of the meditation rooms
(just kidding!!).

How about Caffeine?

I visited the place once, and I enjoyed it; but I don't think I would go alone again.

That's a good tip actually. I had been considering going alone. Might be a good time to get caught up on my reading though...
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-15 6:58 AM (#19126 - in reply to #19105)

Expert Yogi

Check their web site to see about coffee...I brought a jar of instant with me.
sdaraio
Posted 2005-08-23 9:16 PM (#30275 - in reply to #1661)

I practiced for 2 years several years ago from a dear friend and Kripalu teacher. I loved the style and learned so much about how to do postures through the "press point" theory--or where to place your consciousness.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-07 10:24 PM (#31215 - in reply to #30275)

Expert Yogi

What is press point theory, anyway?
sdaraio
Posted 2005-09-07 10:55 PM (#31225 - in reply to #31215)

Hey Bay Guy,

Theory was a bit of an overstatement. However, there are specific places in your body that Kripalu instructors ask you to focus your attention on. There are books written about press points. There were several poses that I "got" both intellectually and kinesthetically when focusing on these points.

Are you an SF Bay Guy?

Stacey
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-10 10:40 AM (#31453 - in reply to #31225)

Expert Yogi

Thanks. I think I understand this as a point of focus --- at first,
I read it to mean something like Accupressure or Shiatsu!
alexanjb
Posted 2005-10-11 10:27 AM (#34134 - in reply to #1661)
Subject: RE: Kripalu? for 49 & Fat

I just posted on another forum that I don't know what Kripalu is. I'm not very knowledgable about yoga but I am interested. I am 49 years old, female, overweight, out-of-shape and a beginner. I found out about some Kripalu classes through my GYN office. They are once a week and for all levels apparently on a walk-in basis. Does this sound like a good place for me to start? My 25 year daughter is interested also. The only person I know that does yoga is early 30's and in good condition and has been doing Hatha Yoga for a couple of years.

Posted 2005-10-13 3:09 PM (#34289 - in reply to #1661)

actually, alex, you can practice any sort of yoga that seems to fit your needs--whether that's kripalu, power yoga, iyengar, anusara, bikram or whatever else. Yoga--regardless of school--is generally accessable to people of all ages, sexes and genders, heights and weights.

yoga--all yoga--is about you and where you are now and learning to access that space with acceptance and grace. yoga is not about being fit or being young or being something else before you can do this type or that type. I teach various vinyasa (flowing) forms to people from age 7 to 91 from 80 lbs to 340 lbs. I teach women and men, gay and straight, transgendered/sexual and intersex, of all races, ethnicities, philosophies, creeds, and religions. I am blessed to teach a diverse community!

Would this kripalu class work for you and your daughter--undoubtedly. Kripalu method is a great method for learning yoga. It begins by teaching the basic entry into gentle asanas, then how to observe the body in the posture, make necessary adjustments, and move into a meditative space within the pose. Over time, they also teach vinyasa (or flow), but from an intuitive space. This is actually one of the foundations of the style that i teach, which seeks to meet the immediate needs of my students (and my own body in my own practice), rather than looking to an external script. This style of yoga teaches you how to access yourself and meet your body's needs.

and, you'll find that it will flood into all aspects of your life--your diet, your dress, your confidence, your spirituality, and even you driving habits!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-13 10:00 PM (#34324 - in reply to #34289)

Expert Yogi

BTW, is Kripalu trying to morph into Canyon Ranch? The focus seems
to be moving toward "rest and renewal" vacations with a lot of massage
and no mention of Siva Nataraja...maybe I'm just not read the brochures
right....?
jannet
Posted 2011-12-26 12:40 AM (#209698 - in reply to #1661)

I didn't try the Kripalu. but i will try it ...
Ericmayars
Posted 2012-04-20 10:35 AM (#210399 - in reply to #1661)
Subject: Re: Anyone practicing Kripalu?

This is again the most gentle of all styles. This focuses on your inner self. For all those who are overweight or have just started with this exercise can opt for this style. The basics are taught here with ease.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)