YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga for children
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Janine
Posted 2003-08-17 10:52 PM (#2327)
Subject: yoga for children

i've been practicing bikram yoga for a year now.since that time my son (age 12) has want to try yoga.i know bikram is too intense for him.but he really seems interested..any feedback and/or suggestions as to where to begin?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
robert
Posted 2004-05-08 5:14 AM (#6125 - in reply to #2327)
Subject: RE: yoga for children

hi janine,
i would not underestimate your son. i think you should take him with you to a bikram yoga class once and let him try. i am 34 years old now, practicing bikram for about 10 months now and i think it is the best training that ever happened to me and i am sorry that i did not discover it ten years earlier. because in my opinion the combination of strength and flexibility is really the most important and the best thing for your body. and when your son is interested, he should get the chance to build up this perfect mixture as early as possible. so give it a try - your son will say thanx
all the best - robert (austria)
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-08 8:12 AM (#6126 - in reply to #2327)

Janine: I sincerely pray to you NOT involve your son in a Heated Room. Of course, I recommend doing Yoga, which is the BEST exercise for Humans. If he wants to do yoga, you should feel lucky. If you decide to put him in a heated room, I wish you luck and peace.
neel kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
afroyogi
Posted 2004-05-09 4:14 AM (#6140 - in reply to #2327)

Robert, please be careful with advice like that. First, Bikram is not for beginners at all and also they don't care much for alignment and posture. So it's easy to get hurt when you'rwe making a mistake. A beginner should always start with a normal hatha yoga like Iyengar.
Janine, there are special classes available for kids yoga at most studios. Let the teacher decide if a 12 year old boy is ready for the adult thing or not. Especially Iyengar teachers are very wise with things like that. Okay, I can understand that your son wants to join you so that you can have a "together" experience. Then please think about splitting your yoga into family sessions and bikram sessions. You son will be happy and you can still have your quality time alone.
Good idea?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)