YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ashtanga yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Sarah
Posted 2003-10-30 3:12 PM (#2566)
Subject: ashtanga yoga

I've been vigorously practicing for a year now, and I absolutely love it. Anyway I was curious about the full straddle stretch. It feels like my hip bone don't want to allow the pose. Is this normal?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jessica
Posted 2003-11-06 10:05 AM (#2596 - in reply to #2566)
Subject: RE: ashtanga yoga

in yoga chikitsa (the primary series of ashtanga) there is no full straddle stretch. Sounds like you're doing a variation, or Power Yoga, not ashtanga.

for the actual primary series, feel free to go to www.ayri.org

jess
Hunter
Posted 2003-12-31 4:43 PM (#2995 - in reply to #2566)

I've been looking for a site that listed the primary series online. Thanks!

Hunter
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-01-23 6:38 PM (#3305 - in reply to #2566)

I would bet you're referring to either Parsarita Podottanasana or Uphavista Konasana. Find the asana here: http://www.YogaDancer.com/Asanas.shtml and use the Sanskrit name. This is the language of yoga, just like latin is the language of medicine or botany, French is the language of cooking. If you use the correct name, you'll always get feedback for the correct asana. This loose translation stuff is subject to the teacher's (laziness) interpertation and frequently silly and could be applied to many asanas, as the two I've mentioned for you above.

If it is either of these poses, press your feet into the earth, isometrically pull them together. This will activiate the leg muscles so you're not hanging out in your hip joints. (Isometric = force against an immobile object, i.e. your feet against the floor, the action is pulling them towards each other, but since they're pressed into an immobile surface, they're not really moving.) This hip pain can produce a repetative stress injury, in that if you're flexible enough there that you can really relax into the pose, you're stressing the joint if you're not engaging your muscles. I dealt with this RSI for 2 whole years until a chance encounter with an Anusara teacher who asked me to "challenge myself" by "hugging in" produced enough muscle energy that I healed. Bless him!

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)