YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I Too Old to start Massage School?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> General MassageMessage format

Dakota
Posted 2002-07-07 7:33 PM (#758)
Subject: Am I Too Old to start Massage School?

I am 40 years old and I want to start massage school. Have I waited too long? Also, any ideas of books or videos to get me started and to give me an idea of what is in store for me? Thanks~
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Julia M
Posted 2002-07-16 4:00 PM (#788 - in reply to #758)

Hi,

Take a look at the http://www.massage.org for information on the business aspects of massage. With a quick search, I did find a detailed article about the pro's and con's of starting a massage business with a partner. You can find this article at: http://www.massage.org/journal/sp02_journal/prof_partnerships.html.

I hope this gives you a starting point for researching your idea.

Julia
Susan Moody
Posted 2002-09-19 3:43 PM (#1014 - in reply to #758)

YOu may be interested in a workshope being offered in the Adirondacks. Check www.lotuspalm.com for the Dec 7th and 8th introduction to Thai Yoga Massage in Saranac Lake.
Charlie
Posted 2003-03-08 11:04 PM (#1509 - in reply to #758)

Hi, Dakota!

No, you're not too old! It will help if you're reasonably fit & active to begin with, as bodywork is a physical discipline, but too old? Not at all. I graduated from massage school a few weeks before my 40th, and I was in better condition (inside and out) than I had ever been.

A couple of tips: if you've not incorporated yoga into your personal self-care routine, look into it - as I say, bodywork is very physical, and yoga will help your body adapt to the new demands. I would also consider beginning to work with weights. Strength and flexibility will be cornerstones for your successful completion.

Specific nutritional support is also very important as we age, and that goes double for we who work with our bodies so directly! MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin are all important to healthy connective tissue - and the joints that depend on them. With your primary-care professional's approval, take them every day, several times a day: your hands will be getting the biggest workout of all, and it's worth it (and then some!) to take the best care of them that you possibly can. Make sure you get enough protein and calcium, too.

I'll be frank w/ you: the biggest potential problem you may face is arthritis - specifically, of the hands, the shoulders & the spine. Within two years of graduating, I had developed arthritis in my hands so crippling that I could no longer work (it set in during school & grew steadily worse). I've spent a very difficult 10 years rehabilitating myself, and at this point, I'm beginning to do table work again.

Your instructors (if they're good) will remind you constantly to use proper body mechanics. They mean it - listen to them!

I have a formula that I've put together for joint health - email me if you like & I'll share it with you (remove "NOSPAM" from my address).

So: get strong/er, get (more) flexible, feed yourself like an athlete (but don't get too weird ;-) ), take care of your hands - oh, become at least familiar w/ t'ai chi / qi gong - it's practically designed to support proper body alignment / mechanics.

And get plenty of massage, water & sleep!!!

That's probably enough for now, though I suspect I could go on!

It was one of the BEST things I ever did for myself - if you're drawn to it, go for it!

I hope this has been of service.
Marilee
Posted 2003-03-24 1:23 PM (#1602 - in reply to #758)

Dear Dakoda
I am going to be 50 this year. I finished massage school the end of 2000l I love my work. I just want you to know that massage short career for many. I think that a good school makes all of the difference. I went to a 1000 hr program that teaches proper body mechanics and well as the anatomy and physiology of the body. I strongly believe that this is very important for every massage therapist as well as to the public. A good massage therapist should know what they are working with.
Travell and Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction The Trigger Point Manual is the Bible of Massage in my oppinion.
Good Luck on your choice.
Marilee
Partnership Proposal For Free
Posted 2003-05-26 5:53 AM (#1894 - in reply to #758)

(This is a one time mail to checkout the interest)
Dear Sir / mam,
Recently it has been seen that many people from korea,Japan and USA
are flowing to India for education. Reason being the same kind of
education in a dam cheap rate.
Take the example of GNIIT course. Apart from the course fee, the student
will have to spend around $12000 for his own expences.
But the same, if done at our Institute at India,will cost only
$2500 a year including the course fee.

We have opened IRSYIT
International residential school of yoga and Information Technology,which belongs to das consultancy,Bangalore, India(IRSYIT).
We offer high end training on yoga and Information technology.
Duration from one month to five years.We have top level professionals from CMM Level 5 companies like Infosys and Yoga maestros from eminent Universities like Bihar Yoga Bharati,Known as Bihar school of yoga.
Fees are charged @ $2500 per year including lodging,boarding,medical and other services.For details please visit: http://irsyit.tripod.com .
Thanks and regards
Chinmay Das,
Director
Das Consultancy.

Partnership condition:

If U are interested in the mutual benefit scheme, then U can get $500
per student who enrolls here.
Your job:
Just keep on spreading this news among the students especially who are
financially not sound but want good education.

Follow up:
Ask the students to give your referal while taking admission. U can
countercheck it with the students and claim your amount.
It will be given to you at the time of enrollment.

Irsyit
Posted 2003-09-08 5:01 AM (#2415 - in reply to #758)

International residential school of yoga and Information Technology,Bangalore, India(IRSYIT)
now an active partner of formulasys Inc. offers various courses on yoga and Information technologies.Duration from one year to fiveyears.Fees are charged @ $3500 per year including lodging,boarding and medical.For immediate reference visit: http://irsyit.tripod.com
students can also opt for courses from NIIT APTECH while
staying in the campus
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)