YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weight---loss to much too little for yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

Erin
Posted 2003-05-09 4:53 PM (#1827)
Subject: Weight---loss to much too little for yoga

hi-
i weigh about 105 and am 5*4, is that ok for a yoga weight loss progream (im fat!) or what??

can you give me beginner tips please!

-thanks
overwieght <3
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Emma
Posted 2003-05-19 11:41 PM (#1877 - in reply to #1827)

Erin,
I don't think that at your weight you need to be looking to a weight loss program. yoga and meditation may help you regain a sense of self and confidence. 105 is quite small. you may need to seek advice in another area on your weight. for 5'4 you are definitely not overweight. too harsh of a yoga practice can hurt you instead of help you. focus on centering and finding yourself.
Jennifer
Posted 2003-05-24 6:02 PM (#1890 - in reply to #1827)

Erin, I was once in your shoes and let me tell you that you're not overweight first off!!! I am slightly smaller than you comming in at 5'2" 110lbs, and I'm not fat (although I once thought I was). Being 5'4" and 105lbs is not fat at all, and if you think that I am wrong make an appointment with a local dietitian or doctor. Like another reply said meditation will help you gain self confidence and self esteem. In my opinion you shouldn't look to yoga as a "quick fix" to weight loss. I have found that it is a great way to help tone my body and increase my flexibility not lose pound after pound every week. I would just reccomend that you look to tone your muscels up.

Secondly, I don't know what you eat on a daily basis but take a look at what you are fueling your body with sometime. If it's fast food hamburgers and fries or a constant intake of resturant food you probably feel fat and unhealthy. (That is why I tend to aviod eating out a lot).
Waubunikwe
Posted 2003-05-26 6:11 PM (#1902 - in reply to #1827)

First, traditional yoga is not about losing weight. Anyone who is doing yoga to lose weight has a total misunderstanding of what yoga is. The reason why people sometimes lose weight when they practice yoga is because it tunes the yogi into her body and fosters respect for one's body. Yoga is about mind, spirit, and body, not just the body. As the others said, you are not overweight, but even if you were, yoga is appropriate for all body types. My suggestion would be to work on your spirit and mind first; then you can learn to love and respect your body as it is.

Chris
Posted 2003-05-26 8:26 PM (#1913 - in reply to #1827)

Hi Erin! I was worried when I read your email & decided to write to you. Instead of focusing on a weight loss program, I think you should explore why have such a distorted image of yourself. 105 at 5'4 is definitely NOT overweight.
Good luck "om" your journey!
Genevieve
Posted 2003-05-28 8:11 PM (#1920 - in reply to #1827)

Dear Erin,

By now you’re probably so tired of the preachings of others before me that you have no patience to listen to mine... but, I feel I should say something anyway.

About two years ago, I shared the same mentality as you. It seemed that I could never get to my goal weight. And even when I did, I would take off all my clothes and look in the mirror, finding imperfections. I felt that weight loss was almost a competitive sport in itself. "Get down to a size 3, 1, 0..."

I could ramble on forever about my experiences, but that would be self indulgent and counter-productive. The point is, you have to slow down. Be by yourself in a comfortable, quiet place where you can do some serious introspective thinking. Figure out why you desire to be so thin. The answer is not as simple as, “It looks good.” There’s more to it. Why does thinness look good to you? Does it even look good to you? Or does it just look good to manipulative beauty industry hounds? Create your own personal aesthetics. I know it sounds hard, but you have to let go of everybody else’s bullshit. I haven’t been able to completely do so yet, but I think that I’m on the right path… and I wouldn’t change that for anything. It has helped me to develop into the person I feel I truly want to be.

No one cares as much about your body as you do. Your true friends really are much more concerned with your mind and spirit. (And never forget that your mind and spirit are just as capable of being beautiful as your body, so don’t neglect them.) And if ANYONE (even someone close to you) ever gives you shit about the way you look (not just your weight, the color/shade of your skin, your hair, eyes, hands, toes, breasts, lips, teeth, etc) or anything else, for that matter, remember that their opinions do not have to be yours, too. They’ve got their own issues and experiences that shape who they are, so who’s to say their right? There IS no reality, only perceptions. What’s wrong to someone else could very well be right, real to you. Why waste time taking their shit when you could be enjoying life?

And remember, when things look bleak and lonely, when you’re feeling like you should let go of your new found realizations, don’t. Hold on to yourself, it’s all you have. True beauty cannot be found in a façade or a lie. You will find beautiful people who want to be a part of your life, if you haven’t already.
katie
Posted 2003-11-27 9:14 PM (#2752 - in reply to #1827)
Subject: RE: Weight---loss to much too little for yoga

Erin, Erin, Erin!!!!!
OH my gosh, I know exactly where you are coming from!!! i once was in your shoes! i waas 5'7" and 95 lbs. i am now to a healthy 120 lbs. and at your height, ,you are absolutely, under no circumstances at all any where near fat. you are actually about 10 lbs underweight. i hope you take into consideration what i along with others have taken time to write to you, ,i wish you the best of luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)