YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

confused on yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Jacyn
Posted 2003-08-14 4:41 PM (#2317)
Subject: confused on yoga

i want to do yoga, but i dont understand it. i asked my brother aout it, and he told me to check it out online, so i did. but i dont understand it. yoga seems to be more about learning which god goes with which pose than how to do the pose. so could someone please help me. just tell me a website that says how to do the poses and how they help you. and also how to meditate.
*****JACYN*****
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Julia
Posted 2003-08-15 10:07 PM (#2321 - in reply to #2317)

http://www.hathayogalesson.com/
This site has animated poses and shows you step by step how to do a variety of poses and the benefits of each pose. Good luck.
Vikram
Posted 2003-08-28 8:13 AM (#2380 - in reply to #2317)

can u tell me , what exactly u are looking for
Posted 2003-08-28 10:48 AM (#2382 - in reply to #2317)

Hi There - Its hard to explain what yoga is because it means something different to each person. If you look up yoga on webster.com you will get the following definition, "

yo·ga
Pronunciation: 'yO-g&
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit, literally, yoking, from yunakti he yokes; akin to Latin jungere to join -- more at YOKE
Date: 1820
1 capitalized : a Hindu theistic philosophy teaching the suppression of all activity of body, mind, and will in order that the self may realize its distinction from them and attain liberation
2 : a system of exercises for attaining bodily or mental control and well-being

While yoga's history is definitely rooted firmly in spirituality there are many (particularly) in the West who practice yoga for its physical benefits.

The best way to learn about yoga is by going to a class and asking a teacher. However, if you don't have access to classes you can always try and find a video or book to help you begin. We have a wide-range of such products on our website. If you need any help with figuring out what would work for you don't hesitate to send me an email.

My last recommendation to you - is take it slowly. Start with basic asanas - as you become more familiar with them you will learn what you need to - this is because yoga is about personal experience - so relax and enjoy!

Namaste,
Emily
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-14 8:06 AM (#208619 - in reply to #2317)
Subject: RE: confused on yoga

Regular

The best videos to learn yoga are there in youtube, search for them or you can search for yoga retreats that tach yoga for the beginners.
bella10388
Posted 2011-08-29 9:37 PM (#209116 - in reply to #2382)
Subject: RE: confused on yoga

New User

Moderator - 2003-08-28 10:48 AM

Hi There - Its hard to explain what yoga is because it means something different to each person. If you look up yoga on webster.com you will get the following definition, "

yo·ga
Pronunciation: 'yO-g&
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit, literally, yoking, from yunakti he yokes; akin to Latin jungere to join -- more at YOKE
Date: 1820
1 capitalized : a Hindu theistic philosophy teaching the suppression of all activity of body, mind, and will in order that the self may realize its distinction from them and attain liberation
2 : a system of exercises for attaining bodily or mental control and well-being

While yoga's history is definitely rooted firmly in spirituality there are many (particularly) in the West who practice yoga for its physical benefits.

The best way to learn about yoga is by going to a class and asking a teacher. However, if you don't have access to classes you can always try and find a video or book to help you begin. We have a wide-range of such products on our website. If you need any help with figuring out what would work for you don't hesitate to send me an email.

My last recommendation to you - is take it slowly. Start with basic asanas - as you become more familiar with them you will learn what you need to - this is because yoga is about personal experience - so relax and enjoy!

Namaste,
Emily

Thanks you for the post.
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-04-13 10:39 PM (#211403 - in reply to #2317)
Subject: Re: confused on yoga

Veteran

If you have practiced this technique in the past, you might find that you need only to say your affirmation a few times to restore balance and health. In the beginning, however, you might have to say them many times each day, and over a long period of time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)