YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga for strength?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

Amanda
Posted 2003-06-05 2:27 PM (#1944)
Subject: Yoga for strength?

Hi, I'm 29 years old and I've recently begun taking a yoga class. On the days I don't go to class, I practice the poses at home. I am quite physically fit; I do cardio a few times per week and I strength train 2-3 times per week. I picked up the yoga to work on my flexibility, which is a weakness of mine. However, the more I do it, the more I love doing it. I've never liked doing the strength training, and of course I only have so many hours in a day. I know that yoga also can develop strength, and so I've been considering dropping the strength training and just doing more yoga.

But I wonder if yoga really, truly, can provide the same toning and shaping benefits as strength training? If it truly can help with body composition?

What do you think? For someone who is into total fitness, can yoga do it, or is it better as just a supplement to my normal routine?

Thanks,
Amanda
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yoga Acharyan Sri.narayanji
Posted 2003-07-03 12:18 PM (#2064 - in reply to #1944)

Hi amanda.
Greetings. saw ur letter.
there is some thing called DYNAMIC YOGA.
If u want to know more check www.vkyogas.org.in
regards
narayanji
Posted 2003-08-27 12:37 PM (#2373 - in reply to #1944)

Hi Amanda,

I saw your posting and thought your question was a great one! Yoga can certainly replace strength training, depending on the type of yoga you practice. Ashtanga and Power Yoga are two types of vigorous yoga and can greatly improve strength and tone. Most yogis do not develop bulging muscles (though there are certainly exceptions to this rule! If you check out Baron Baptiste of Rodney Yee, you'll see what I mean!). I know many yogis who are strong and very physically fit who actually do not do any other form of physical exercise (cardio or strength training).

If you are interested in learning more about these types of yoga, we have literature and products that can facilitate your exploration.

Best of Luck to you and don't hesitate to let me know if you have further questions!

Namaste,
Emily
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-27 2:43 PM (#10318 - in reply to #1944)
Subject: RE: Yoga for strength?

Amanda

Most "strength training" programs at your big super gyms, consist of light weight for high repitition for so called "toning." If your workout looks like that then it probably is not giving you significant gains in strength.

If you undertake a regular yoga practice that involves dynamic flowing poses such as vinyasa, power or ashtanga yoga, you will find that the practice will involve numerous opportunities to move and/or support your own bodyweight. For example a typical flow involves chattarunga dandasana to urdvha muka svanasana to adho muka svanasana. Doing one set of these is like doing a pushup. Doing 30 or 40 during a practice is significant.

So if your strength routine at the gym involves 30-40 pushups, then it is probably pretty good and you might consider keeping it or streamlining it so that it is quicker and more enjoyable. If your strength program involves bench presses with 10lb dumbbells, then get rid of it and do more yoga. Learning to carry your own bodyweight is far more beneficial.

Namaste,
katesnn
Posted 2004-11-25 1:02 AM (#12868 - in reply to #1944)

hi Amanda im kate. i read your message. we are just the same. busy working.... but trying hard to motivate myself to stay fit, build up my strength and tone my body. i've been to yoga for a year.

I want you to meet my personal trainor Maya www.yourselffitness.com. She realy help me a lot.

Have a good day!
pyramidx
Posted 2004-11-25 11:47 PM (#12895 - in reply to #1944)

Its good to get balanced yoga sessions home or studio. "strength" can be in degrees and kinds. Downward dog...the arms are bearing most of the weight...arm balances the same..and you will get strong in your arms and upper body with arm focused poses. When you do half moon pose "regular" or the inverted you are depending your standing leg , breath, arms, coordination, patience, suppleness, willpower, concentration, self-control, abdominals are all part of that one pose. If you do the pose where you hold your leg out front and then to the side by holding onto your foot or big toe, then here you strengthen your legs, flexibility, as well as engage the rest of your body in the process. Twists are another kind of flexibilty/strength builder. I found since yoga is all about using my nautral body weight I am whole body engaged and have gained more confidence physically in a new way that I had not before. I still keep open to other activities and keep exploring yoga for its other aspects as well.
katesenn
Posted 2004-12-03 10:47 PM (#13200 - in reply to #1944)

Hi amanda! hi guys..
why dont u check this out http://yourselffitness.com/commitment/get-motivated.aspx
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-12-03 10:53 PM (#13202 - in reply to #1944)

dear Amanda:
Please let us know what kind of strength and where in yourself you will like to develop using Yoga.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
ducatielle
Posted 2006-08-24 3:04 AM (#62670 - in reply to #1944)

Hi, Amanda,

I thought you might be interested to read this article, entitled, "Is Yoga Enough to Keep You Fit?"
It addresses your question directly.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/739_1.cfm

I am new to yoga myself so I can't comment personally. See if this article helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)