YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

weight gain
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

Serge
Posted 2003-08-11 9:23 PM (#2304)
Subject: weight gain

this may seem like an odd post to most, but how would yoga work with trying to gain weight? I've got an incredibly fast metabolism and am on a very high protein diet (eating has become a job for me now). Even this is barely putting on any weight. I've had to cut out all aerobic activities like jogging and stick with just weight lifting etc.

any advice??

If i have one more protein shake i think i'll go crazy

S.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Timothy
Posted 2003-08-22 3:50 PM (#2351 - in reply to #2304)
Subject: weight gain

Serge,

I would highly reccomend you have your thyroid checked to rule out hyperthyroidism. To balance your metabolism practice inversions that target the neck: shoulderstand, plow and fish and practice prolonged Shavasana and meditations.

Namaste,
Timothy
http://www.yogabasics.com/
Miabella704
Posted 2005-07-31 1:07 AM (#28507 - in reply to #2304)
Subject: RE: weight gain

I would kill to have your problem. Any type of exercise is going to raise your overall metabolism, including yoga.
You need to see a doctor to rule out any health issues then see a nutritionist about a healthy weight gaining diet.

Posted 2005-07-31 11:06 AM (#28530 - in reply to #2304)
Subject: RE: weight gain

my husband also has a fast metabolism. he eats a whole-foods diet, no protien shakes necessary. he consumes about 3000 calories a day--30% fat, 30% protien, and 40% carbohydrates (majority of those are simple carbohydrates). BTW, this is considered a 'low fat' diet. a 'high fat' diet is any diet that consists of 40% or more calories from fat.

my husband also eats 6 whole meals a day. this divides the amount of calories into consumable amounts. So, he gets 500 calories per meal. His meals consist of Meat, Vegetables, Fruit, Nuts. Two meals contain a complex carbohydrate (grains, bread, etc). In the morning, he consumes 1 tblsp of cod liver oil; in the evening, he consumes another tblsp of cod liver oil. He drinks coffee in the morning, and water with everything else.

My husband lifts weights 2 times a week--using a method that relies on good recovery times to improve muscle and strength. he does functional training, which works the major muscle groups in order to increase mass and strength in an effective manner. He does only 30 minutes of cardio every day--sometimes only twenty--to maintain leanness.

he also practices yoga. yoga is a great counterpoint to weight training, as it will increase flexibility and muscle balance. he practices after each weight training session (2 times per week), and he takes class once per week. he's actually quite good at it, and has been practicing yoga for 3 years.

i recommend checking out Hardgainer.com for information about the sort of training that my husband does.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)