YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nausea doing Kundalini Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

howardrsh
Posted 2003-11-22 10:39 PM (#2719)
Subject: Nausea doing Kundalini Yoga

I have just started to practice Kundalini Yoga, however, at times I have to stop my practice due to nausea. I am not new to Yoga in general, as I have been practicing Ashtanga Yoga for a few years now, but I am aware that these two types of Yoga are very different. I was wondering if the nausea was a usual side effect for someone just beginning this practice. Thanks for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yogiji
Posted 2003-11-25 4:21 PM (#2735 - in reply to #2719)
Subject: RE: Nausea doing Kundalini Yoga

Namaskar, It is quite common for nausea to ocurr when the chakras are processing out more energy than can be tolerated by the student. Reducing the amount of time and additional rest between postures will often reduce or stop the problem.

Respectfully,
Yogi harinam baba prem
howardrsh
Posted 2003-11-26 5:20 AM (#2742 - in reply to #2735)

Thank you for your response, Yogiji. I am very excited about my Kundalini Yoga practice, and will use your advice.
Arthur
Posted 2003-12-04 7:34 PM (#2811 - in reply to #2742)

don't you just find it a little strange that doing yoga which should be good for you, makes you nauseous? I wouldn't do it....
Singh
Posted 2004-01-05 4:11 PM (#3055 - in reply to #2719)

Hi,

Nausea during yoga, although sometimes related to improper breathing, usually is a side effect of the cleansing process KY sets forth.

If you're doing KY as taught by Yogi Bhajan (3HO) it includes a lot more of pranayama (breathing excercises) and uses a lot more movement, which will produce stronger cleansing effects than more tranquil forms.

Be sure to drink plenty of water after your yoga session, to help the kidneys process all the junk that is being released from your organs into your bloodstream, and take a look at your lifestyle regarding diet (should you change it?), drinking (too much) coffee, etc.

Take care,
Gurushabd

PS: Please excuse any spelling errors, english is not my native tongue
RAJ
Posted 2004-04-30 1:49 AM (#5831 - in reply to #2719)

I MYSELF HAVE DONE KUNDALINI YOGA AND HAVE HAD FRIGHTENING RESULTS. IT GAVE ME RACING THOUGHTS THAT KEEP ME DAY DREAMING. I HAVE FLASHES OF HOT AND COLD IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE BODY. IT ORIGINALLY ALSO GAVE ME NAUSEA. IT CAUSED ME DEPRESSION. IT CAUSED ME MOOD SWINGS. IT STARTED TO DISRUPT ALL OF MY RELATIONSHIPS. IT CAUSED ME TO BE TIRED. IT CAUSED ME TO HAVE BENT UP ENERGY INSIDE ME - I COULDN'T USE IT PRACTICALLY - IT WAS ALL TRAPPED INSIDE ME - I USED TO SHIVER AND I THOUGHT THAT I WAS GOING TO EXPLODE. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING SPIRITUAL ANYMORE BECAUSE IT WILL AGGRIVATE THE KUNDALINI. IF YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF SYMPTOMS WITH KUNDALINI - STOP !!!! THE OTHER FORMS OF YOGAS ARE MUCH SAFER FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION. BUT THERE ARE A GOOD SIZED MINORITY LIKE ME WHOSE BLOCKS IN THEIR ENERGY FIELD (OR SOUL) CANNOT HANDLE THE IMMENSE ENERGY RELEASED. BEWARE !! DON'T DO ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE COMPLETELY SURE OF IT !!!! I DID MY KUNDALINI 2 YEARS AGO AND IT STILL FLARES UP NOW AND THEN TO TORTURE ME. PRAY FOR ME. GOD BLESS.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-04-30 11:45 AM (#5844 - in reply to #2719)

NO Nausea should occur unless you are so emaciated that you can not walk 100 feet. Either the practice itself is wrong or you are doing too much of correct practice. If the nausea is persistent for more than 2 weeks each day practice, you must improve the practice. Good luck.
neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Dr Sharma
Posted 2004-06-08 9:22 PM (#7300 - in reply to #5831)

Hi Raj, i have to let you know a few things about Kundalini Yoga. It is a most commanding yet demanding form of excercise. Without a Guru, NO one can accomplish the task of embarking on the Kundalini path. And that teacher, that Guru, must be an acclaimed Kundalinli practitioner himself, certified by the authorities.

I presume you attempted this practice without a trained guru, or else you wouldn't have lapsed into the pitfalls of Kundalini Yoga.

This is a very dangerous pursuit of bodily excellence; please do not attempt it by yourself. I have SEEN people going mad, i have witnessed a case of possesion where i was part of the exorcism, and i also interviewed a person where all i kept hearing was that she keeps seeing forms of sexual activity EVERY single moment! These people attempted Kundalini by reading or learning from someone who was less than qualified.

I know i sound more preachy than dropping a friendly line, but this is lives we are talking about, and a as a Medical Practitioner, i have the right to set records straight.

I want to thank Yoga.com for thier trust in me and sending me newsletters from time to time.

Take care, Raj.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-09 11:04 AM (#7313 - in reply to #2719)

I wish to repeat here the following:

Kundalini AND Kundalini Yoga Style are two different things. The same with Ashtanga Yoga of Patanjali and Ashtanga Yoga which is now called Power Yoga correctly/incorrectly.

Neel Kulkarni
RAJ
Posted 2004-06-15 1:26 AM (#7474 - in reply to #2719)

This is Raj again. Well, Dr. Sharma, (or anyone who is reading) can you tell me about any genuinely certified gurus in houston? My Kundalini (from 2 years ago ) is still so sensitive, I can't do simple pleasures anymore because they aggrivate the kundalini. These simple pleasures include listening to music, dancing, displaying emotions, ect. I also have a ringing and pain in my ears and they occasionally turn red. Can a guru still help me now that the damage is already done? I did 2 sessions of kundalini exercises in my whole life. One was by my self and another more powerful session was done by a local kundalini instructor who guaranteed me that nothing will go wrong. When things started going wrong, she started to belittle me about how I was overeacting to the painful experiences. She did some healing work to lower some of the sideffects, but they have not gone away. Will a certified guru be able to do more than she can? I regret ever having done kundalini.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-15 5:12 AM (#7485 - in reply to #2719)

Dear Raj:
What you have written is wrong. You are writing as if you feel the Kundalini like you feel muscles. I am almost sure your problem is NOT Kundalini problem and you must see some experienced teacher. Either come to Viriginia to see me or go to BKS Iyengar in Pune India or go to may be Desikachar in Madras. However, you need to go to them for a while and then do exactly what they tell in terms of practice. As for now, you practice my Relaxation for Meditation CD 4 tracks, each day 3 times. Lastly, make sure that Your Practice is MORE than any Thinkiing/Talking/Writing you do on this topic.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
RAJ
Posted 2004-06-28 1:24 AM (#7857 - in reply to #2719)

What I do feel is the sideffects of kundalini. The symptoms I mentioned in the last to postings are what is aggrivated occasionally. This never happened to me before I did Kundalini. I know that people who are immune to Kundalini's side effects won't understand the rest of us. Kundalini is just like a high risk drug. There are those who don't feel any sideffects, and there are the unfortunate ones who are completely devastated by it. Unfortunately, you just can't stop taking this drug. You can't turn Kundalini off. I have heard people say that any concious or unconcious attempt to stop the kundalini energy flow can cause severe problems.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-28 11:01 AM (#7867 - in reply to #2719)

There is NOTHING in the universe, including eating and ****ting, which can be done without Kundalini force. Kundalini is the name of all force or source of bio energey in the Human Body. Only, when it is used in a large quantity is called Awakening. So, a Kundalini student should not feel that he has done anything special.

Next, understanding that you have side-effects (actually, actual effects) of Kundalini which you are not able to handle, it is necessary to meet an Experienced teacher, and not only try to know this by email.

And, nothing is devastating about this. So, cool down.

Best Luck.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
TaoOfYoga
Posted 2004-07-08 2:21 PM (#8192 - in reply to #2811)

Arthur,

It's worth noting that "being good for you" and being pleasurable are not always the same thing.

Kundalini yoga is intense and requires a teacher to create the right atmosphere of non-competitiveness. The basic problem here is that within even beginner Kundalini Yoga practices, there is a wide range of intensity. It's not uncommon to see two people seated next to each other, doing a very simple spinal flex for example, but one practitioner is experienced and accomplished and the other is not. The experienced practitioner can do this exercise quickly, powerfully, and with very deep breathing because their system is adapted to it. And this is a good thing. Such an exercise is invigorating and incredibly uplifting and beneficial to the whole system.

The problem comes in when you put a beginner next to that person and they try to do the exercise at the same rate and for the same duration. They are not yet trained to have their awareness in their body, listening and feeling for what the appropriate practice is. Nor is this easy to visually asses even for experienced teachers. Hence, the body will speak up until heard (nausea, lightheadedness, etc). It doesn't mean there was something wrong with the practice, it means that it was done ineffectively.

Yogiji is correct: reduce the amount of time in the exercise, reduce the intensity, and rest between the postures. Let your body acclimate to this practice, which is a radical interruption of our normal sedentary and inactive lives.

j
FromZero
Posted 2004-08-01 3:52 PM (#8798 - in reply to #2719)

Raj, I know its a little late to jump in here, but I wanted to offer my advice from what I and others have experienced.

From what it seems, your "symptoms" are completely normal, and actually a blessing in disguise. In my practice I've found the whole intent of Kundalini Yoga is to help tap into what needs to worked through in this life.

Do you have any traumas (abuse,etc.) that could be trapped in your subconscious?? The mind has a funny way of bringing these issues to light. You may feel haunted by your thoughts, but there comes a time when enough is enough and you'll want to dig deeper. Sometimes we have to brave the fire to feel the calm. What you are going through is a blessing, an opportunity to work through what you've buried deep or just simply learn what you need to learn from it and move on. It could be things from very early on that you have no conscious recolection of... Things that have damaged you deeply, that still effect you unknowingly.

I wish you the best of luck in your venture.

Sometimes you have to start your life over, from zero.

Edited by FromZero 2004-08-01 3:54 PM
mkbloomfield
Posted 2004-09-29 11:52 AM (#10398 - in reply to #2719)

Voice of reason here. Some of those prior postings are a little "out there", so to speak.

I'm have no fancy titles nor do I proclaim to be a yoga guru. I cannot speak intelligently about "blocked energy", "exorcisms" or "people going mad from incorrect yoga practice". All I can contribute is that I too experience nausea when doing kundalini yoga. For the first two years I had no trouble, but now I do. I read another posting where it is mentioned that perhaps the problem lies in incorrect breathing. This sounds very plausible as I realized recently that I have not been focusing on breathing (like I did in the beginning). I am going to try to focus more on proper breathing techniques and see if this helps with the nasuea. I'll post the results.
noelle
Posted 2005-01-23 4:22 PM (#15435 - in reply to #2719)

This is a pretty late response, but hopefully people will read it, and benefit. As far as the nausea goes, diet and lifestyle, as mentioned before, are major factors, as well as following the teachers' instruction to a T. I work in a smokey environment and notice if I attend class the next day, I can feel the smoke and toxins coming from inside me. Very sickening. Animal products do made a big difference too. I got back into KY after being non-veg and blech, belly always felt very full. The next topic I can relate to first hand, although was not sparked by KY. After I had the most severe experience I and others around me ever experienced, I was too afraid to do anything for years, KY included. Now, after four years, I have begun to do Kundalini, and again, my negative reactions were not sparked by yoga practice, and the KY practice has been wonderful for me, Central yoga, houston, Jackson street has wonderful instructors. There are still times when my energy teeters on what feels like another pitfall, but I feel more and more n control of how things will progress now. An important thing if you start to feel this way again in practice, assuming that your instroctor is teaching you the right thing, is to keep going, be strong, see what these fears are, do you need them?? Do they serve a purpose for you any more? Don't be afraid,....they are, after all, only emotions. FOCUS on what you are doing!!!!! on your breath or what mantra you are doing...don't let your mind runaway!! Best of Luck!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)