YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is kripalu
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kripalu YogaMessage format

Kristen
Posted 2003-12-04 5:49 PM (#2807)
Subject: What is kripalu

I went to the section on the web site that defined Kripalu, but am still not clear. Can someone explain the difference between Kripalu and other yoga styles like Hatha?

thanks!

Kristen
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Timothy
Posted 2003-12-30 8:20 PM (#2989 - in reply to #2807)
Subject: RE: What is kripalu

Hi Kristen,

Kripalu yoga is a three-stage system of hatha yoga. In the first stage the physical body is focused on using a great "press point" terminology to clearly describe the alignment in the poses. In the second stage the eyes close and the awareness draws deeply inwards using the yogic technique of Pratyahara to feel the richness of sensation inside the poses. In the last stage the poses are held to cultivate and connect to the prana energy in the body. When the pose is released you maintain the inner awareness of the prana and follow it as it guides you into a flow of poses. This last stage is often called "meditation-in-motion" as it invokes a profound spiritual state.

Compared to the other styles or schools of yoga, Kripalu tends to be a gentle practice that focuses on the therapeutic and spiritual aspects of yoga.
levee2005
Posted 2009-08-05 10:53 PM (#117472 - in reply to #2807)
Subject: Re: What is kripalu

very good post.
just to make it clear. all yoga that includes physical exercises is hatha. then depending on focus point and method those exercises are practices Hatha yoga divides into different styles (bikram, kripalu, anusara, yengar etc.)

i teach Kripalu Yoga in Naples, FL www.naplesyoga.com
Andre
Posted 2009-08-14 11:12 AM (#117683 - in reply to #2807)

Extreme Veteran

Levee, how long have you been teaching Kripalu? Do you mind talking about your experience with their teacher training? I'm applying now.
kevinpeter1
Posted 2010-07-22 1:25 AM (#124233 - in reply to #2807)

Kripalu Yoga is an interplay of body, mind and energy. Within the physical body is a subtle flow of rhythmic, energy pulsations that we call prana, or life force.In a Kriplau class, each student learns to find their own level of practice on a given day by looking inward.Kripalu Yoga is also a tool for self empowerment and personal growth. The practice teaches you to tap into your own inner-knowing rather than being dependent upon guidance from external authorities.
Bay Guy
Posted 2010-07-22 11:06 PM (#124243 - in reply to #124233)

Expert Yogi

"Kripalu" is a former Jesuit monastery in Stockbridge, Massachusetts (USA) that was converted to a spiritual center in about 1983, by the now disgraced Amrit Desai who departed in 1994. The center was reorganized in 2004 to be more accommodating of visitors not deeply engaged with renunciate ideals. In 2008, it had revenues of more than $28 million. There's a good Wikipedia article on the place.

Kripalu yoga, per se, seems to have little traction even in nearby communities. But, as we know, there are a large number of individualized yogas, of which only three or four have international presence (e.g., Ashtanga, Bikram, Iyengar, maybe Sivananda....).

.. bg

Posted 2010-07-23 2:34 PM (#124258 - in reply to #2807)

I don't know about "traction" but I live outside Boston (about 1.5-2 hours east of Kripalu) and there is actually a fair amount of Kripalu influence in the area. As you might expect, there are a fair number of Kripalu trained teachers around here, or people trained by people who started with Kripalu. Lots don't teach classes specifically called Kripalu but the influence is definitely there, and many studios have Kripalu classes on the schedule. They do a lot of training, some teachers seem inclined to stick with it as a "style" and for others it's just a starting point - I think it's not so distinctive as some other "styles" and lends itself to that. As far as reach I'd figure it's someplace in the middle of the pack of the many "styles" that have some name hung them.
Andre
Posted 2010-10-12 12:08 AM (#125476 - in reply to #2807)

Extreme Veteran

They do a lot of training, some teachers seem inclined to stick with it as a "style" and for others it's just a starting point - I think it's not so distinctive as some other "styles" and lends itself to that.

Aystam, I think you summed that up pretty well. I completed Kripalu's 200 TT in January. It was a very nice experience, and complemented my studio practice (Bikram) and my Sutra Study (in the tradition of Krishnamacharya). I think they are trying to “brand” it a bit more, with Kripalu affiliated studios, and such.
hendrygortey
Posted 2010-11-29 7:47 AM (#126263 - in reply to #2807)

Kripalu is a unique form of yoga. Focus on self and get rid of everything wrong with it is emphasized that this form of yoga is not just physical health. It is about the fitness of the emotional, mental, and even a little bit of soul.

Posted 2010-12-13 9:42 PM (#126480 - in reply to #126263)

Some great replies here. Makes me yearn to go back to Kripalu. My take...

A defining characteristic of the Kripalu approach is compassion. Students are guided through the practice and encouraged to keep a compassionate self-awareness of their mental and physical states.

Emphasis is placed on postures, meditation, and the inward spiritual journey. By fully experiencing and objectively observing the physical, mental and emotional experience, blockages begin to dissolve, allowing healing to occur on all levels of the mind, body, and spirit.
roypotter
Posted 2011-05-20 7:06 AM (#208439 - in reply to #2807)

Regular

Kripalu, meaning compassion, acknowledges and honors each person’s uniqueness. The practice teaches us how to tune into our inner wisdom so that we can better know our own bodies. It is also a tool for self empowerment and personal growth.
Practicing Kripalu Yoga can initiate a gradual process of physical healing, psychological growth, and spiritual awakening.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)