YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Doing yoga in a gym
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

afroyogi
Posted 2003-12-22 6:01 PM (#2922)
Subject: Doing yoga in a gym

Namaste everybody,
I would like to rant a little about my negative experiences. See, I'm doing yoga in a gym, but that's not too bad. In my gym we do real proper Hatha yoga and not just these watered down yogaflex or yogarobics stuff. Heck, one of my teachers there even teaches in the local ashram and is a real-life guru. And BTW, considering that I can make use of all the other activities and machines, as well as the pool and the steam room it is much cheaper than attending a yoga-only class in the ashram.

What I don't like is the terrible attitude of many of the other members and the atmosphere in the gym:
- Lots of them are just attending the class because they're bored or feeling to lazy for the spinning class.
- So we have mothers with little children. Okay, that's a good thing. Children can do yoga as well. But most of these brats are running around, shouting, whining, talking loud. Leaving the room and coming back, every time banging the door. And the parents? They just don't care.
- Then there are some people who just cannot be without their cell phones. So it's a constantly beeping and humming sound there. The other day there was a girl who was happily tiping SMS messages while the rest of us tried to relax in the corpse pose and imagine we're lying in the warm sun on the beach.
- The teachers try to do a lot of partner stuff. When I do yoga I wanna be alone with my body and mind. Knowing that there are other students around me who feel the same is a good feeling and enhances the energy. But actually touching your partner and mutually helping with some silly poses is not proper yoga as I understand it. This partner stuff changes the yoga class into a tea party.
- Also the teachers very often don't give a **** about all the distractions. And they're barely leaving their pedestal to walk around watching and correcting you. That's poor!
- Also, typical for the group training hall in a gym is the loud techno music and all the noises you can hear through the doors. And the air condition is put on too much power all the time. That probably makes some sense for the aerobics or kickboxing classes but for yoga it's just way too cold.

Are some of you guys also doing yoga in a gym? What are your experiences? Any comments?

Thx for your sweetly faked attention
badi
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Anonymous
Posted 2003-12-23 10:26 AM (#2928 - in reply to #2922)
Subject: RE: Doing yoga in a gym

Badi,

Maybe you should talk to your teacher about your feelings. If the teacher does not here anyone complaining she may not know that there is a problem. You are a paying member and you should express your opinions.
You are absolutely right about all the distractions around you it prevents you from getting the complete experience from Yoga. Speak up....Don't be afraid.
Timothy
Posted 2003-12-27 12:32 PM (#2948 - in reply to #2922)

badi,

It’s the teacher’s responsibility to control the environment in a yoga class wherever it is: in a gym or in an ashram. I'm quite shocked that your yoga teacher's are tolerating these kinds of behaviors. You need to address your concerns with the teachers and the management. If things don't improve, find a new studio to practice yoga that respects your need for a calm, quiet and safe environment.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-01-06 6:35 PM (#3087 - in reply to #2922)

Hi Timothy,
sorry that it took so long for me to reply. I have talked to 2 of my 3 teachers and found out that I wasn't right when I wrote they are not interested. They are frustrated and very much pissed off about the situation as well. But they are not responsible for the noise level in the gym and have no power to change that. Seems that the yoga is only a cost factor for the management and so they don't give a **** if the members are feeling good in class. They would prefer to see all of us weightlifting or running on the treadmills. It would be cheaper for them. Also the yoga teachers are afraid of losing their jobs. And one very young teacher, she just doesn't dare critizising paying members about their cell phone habits.
At least the one teacher changed his attitude and doesn't allow any people in class if they're more than 10 minutes late. And he's also complaining about the loud music and the freezing temperatures in the training room in front of the class. I guess management would have him fired already if it wasn't for the fact that we, the students, just love him.
The newest trick of the management was to cancel lots of group classes over the festive season. Not only yoga but pilates, power box, aerobics, tai chi and other stuff as well. The teachers wouldn't mind earning some money and were pissed off like the members about that.
In fact I was not the only member who filed complaints. But who knows how it turns out......
Anyway, after 2 weeks of only a little home style yoga tomorrow the classes will start again, yippie!
Shanti
badi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)