YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RE: can all of you share your experience?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2005-01-29 10:35 PM (#15773 - in reply to #2950)
Subject: RE: can all of you share your experience?

Extreme Veteran

I started Yoga because I was tired of the gym scene, and being a sprinter on the track team was wreaking havoc on my body. I started yoga in the wrong way (with a video that was much too hard for me) and got discouraged. A few years later I can back to it, and started at a beginner's level. Right now, Yoga is a refuge for me. When I come home from work, it erases any stresses of the day, when I practice in the morning before work, it grounds me, and prepares me to confront whatever may happen that day. I would love to pass that gift on to other people one day as a teacher. I am definitely not at the point in my life or my practice where I could do that yet. I think someone is ready to be a yoga teacher when they can honestly tell themselves that they have something to pass on to others. However long that takes is maybe on an individual basis. Obviously the more experience you have with Yoga, the more potential you have to be a better teacher, but then again, there are some people who are not cut out to be teachers of anything. All you can do is wait until it feels right.

Edited by samantha77 2005-01-29 10:36 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr.Dream
Posted 2005-07-23 3:21 AM (#27991 - in reply to #7901)

Mr. Dream - 2004-06-29 11:50 AM

Here is my little history:

I`m happy to have found this group here...I started to practice yoga
in 1990 (I was 12 then). I learned the basics in a yoga school, then I
started to read about the subject.

Just back...

I started my yoga teacher course recently and decided to follow the discussions a bit...

It would be great to exchange our knowledge about how hatha-yoga came to the western civilisation by mail, I still have to find someone who is interested enough to share his knowledge about old yoga books.

It would be great to know each others practice system a little bit, do you care about the sequencing, your holding times, the dhautis, bandhas...just wondering?

Namaste to all

MD
jbaird
Posted 2006-03-30 4:25 PM (#48314 - in reply to #2950)

I practice Yoga now because it is something that my body has learned to do, so there's this sort of automatic response to stretch out and get loosened up.

At 57 yrs of age, I think now my back is stronger and more flexible than it has ever been.

What I have learned is why the asanas are called "poses". Each one was uncomfortable, awkward, and stressful on introduction, but thru gradual entry and approach, each became filled with space, roomier and roomier. Each pose has places where I can really get some rest.

Last fall I began the headstand daily, and the first couple of months had sensations of "well being" throughout the day. It is difficult to describe, but I often have a feeling that I am "standing on my feet".

Headstand, like all the others, was painful to maintain at first, but now has become friendly, restful, and a welcome place to return to in the mornings.

My practice has expanded from ten minutes or so for the past three years to a good thirty minutes the last half-yr, but the morning routine seems to have stretched to allow more time. Very strange.

I don't want to sound like a "witnessing" Christian, but I would like to share my good news with others of like inclination. I think all my efforts and time spent at this practice have been 100% beneficial.

Namaste.
ollie
Posted 2006-07-26 9:48 PM (#59869 - in reply to #2950)
Subject: RE: can all of you share your

Interesting topic.

I love my yoga teacher. Yet she is not one of those who can do many of the more difficult poses.

Yet she inspired me to learn how to do some of them.

But she teaches at a Park District (public funding) and not in a studio.

Anyway, there are many levels of teaching, and around here what is most sorely needed are folks who can teach raw, out of shape beginners.

Personally, I am much more drawn to learning to do the poses than I am toward teaching them; I might someday get certified to teach, but I'd do that only because I want to learn more so I can improve my own practice.

Nick
Posted 2006-07-29 10:39 AM (#60225 - in reply to #12108)

Hi Rachelle,
I, for one, would like to hear the full story!If you ever have the itchy fingers to tell it! Do you find that your mobility is particularly restricted in any of the postures-or does a shallow acetabulum mean that you are more flexible? Could go either way, I guess. One of my teachers had a friend who played amateur rugby until he was in his mid-forties, got an injury, they x-rayed his hip and told him he didn't have a hip joint-that was the first he knew of it! Amazing what the human body can do.
Nick

Posted 2006-07-31 10:29 AM (#60494 - in reply to #2950)

holy post resurrection, batman!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-31 11:24 AM (#60510 - in reply to #60494)

zoebird - 2006-07-31 10:29 AM

holy post resurrection, batman!

quick!!, to the batcave!!!!

Posted 2006-07-31 2:07 PM (#60547 - in reply to #2950)

was batman able to get to the bat cave in time? did batman develop the anti-post-zombie formula needed to lay the undead post to rest?

hey, i just realized that i'm zoebird and 'he's' robin and those are both birds. heheheehehe.

ok, i admit to being slow sometimes.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-31 2:23 PM (#60550 - in reply to #60547)

zoebird - 2006-07-31 2:07 PM

was batman able to get to the bat cave in time? did batman develop the anti-post-zombie formula needed to lay the undead post to rest?

hey, i just realized that i'm zoebird and 'he's' robin and those are both birds. heheheehehe.

ok, i admit to being slow sometimes.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)