YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

birkram for pregnat women
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Lynne
Posted 2004-01-23 11:39 AM (#3302)
Subject: birkram for pregnat women

I have been doing Birkram Yoga for about 6 months on and off. I go at least 3 to 2 time a week. I am 2 months Pregnant, going on my third month. I haven't done it since I found out I was Pregnant. Is it OK to continue Birkram Yoga? Will the Heat effect me or the Baby. Please tell me anything I need to Know. Thank You, Lynne
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-01-30 2:06 PM (#3425 - in reply to #3302)
Subject: RE: birkram for pregnat women

I would suggest you definitely seek someone out certified in preggy yoga. Or more formally, Prenatal yoga.

What feels right and OK to us can harm a fetus. Bikram already bends in a manner that does not make space necessarily in the body, but more "bends like a string of pearls" which if you notice, actually grind on each other if there are no knots (space) between the pearls.

The heat can mess you up in you end up with anything like preclampsia. You don't want to elevate your blood pressure unnecessarily, which is something Bikram can do. You would want to be moving in a manner that helps you with recovery after delivery, too.

All these things a certified, trained preggy yoga teacher can help you with. Bikram doesn't (at least most recently) throw in pregnancy as one of the many claims to a health. For good reason: the liability is horrendous.

I would back off on the heat and the way Bikram uses the spine until after your done nursing and the Relaxin is out of your body. It's not a yoga method that espouses safety and these teachers may not be aware of the effect it has on the joints and ligaments. Do what's best for the baby and get someone qualified. You go to an obstetrician, right? Why do less with your entire body?

Let me quote Bikram to the winning teacher trainee in one of the very first teacher training sessions he held: "They'll either get it or they won't."

What you don't know could harm you and your baby. Give yourselves the best.

And congrats on your baby!

Christine
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)