YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

mat question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

josie
Posted 2004-02-04 1:50 PM (#3497)
Subject: mat question

Can anyone recommend a mat that is exceptionally sticky? I sweat a lot during practice tend to slide on the mat. I've tried tapas and the standard hugger mugger mats and the problem still exists. I'm not a fan of cloth mats and am reluctant to purchase mat spray, due to speculation about its effectiveness.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-08 8:35 AM (#3587 - in reply to #3497)
Subject: RE: mat question

You're not going to like this, but the more you sweat on your mat, the less slick it becomes.

I use a thick Ashtanga black mat. They're called "manduka mats" and (accept no substitution) are particularly sticky in the beginning, but then become different sticky and better as you sweat on it. They're expensive and worth every single penny. I now have 3. I have one for home, car, and Ashtanga Center. I'll never buy another or more mats again.

Gross, but true.

Christine
afroyogi
Posted 2004-02-08 5:04 PM (#3598 - in reply to #3497)

Namaste Christine,
can you please tell me where I can get more information on these mats and if they are selling through the internet? They also seem to be optimal for Bikram and one can use them for normal Hatha as well.
Thx
badi
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-08 7:17 PM (#3600 - in reply to #3497)

I got mine at the local Ashtanga Center. The thing is, depending upon availability, the prices can really swing. I paid between $65.00 - $95.00. I hate to suggest getting it online, because the darned things weigh 11 pounds and the shipping will be a lot. On the other hand, like I said, since I'll never buy another mat(s), it is a one-shot deal.

Half Moon Yoga Props sells them, but Yoga Vermont has the best price.

It's not a tapas mat, no matter if it's black or not. It's a German made (of recycled tires), thick Manduka mat. Makes rolling over the toes, sitting in Vajrasana, Dhanurasana, Sirsasana or anything that has pressure points no trouble at all.

Hope this helps.

Christine
afroyogi
Posted 2004-02-09 4:34 PM (#3628 - in reply to #3497)

Thx for the info, Xtine. The mat looks quite thick but I kinda prefer the thiner ones, cause they are better for balancing on one foot. Maybe I should give it a try. I'm going on a Germany trip in April anyways and will have a look for them mats in local shops.
nubianyogi
Posted 2004-02-15 5:40 PM (#3767 - in reply to #3497)

i had the same interest in a mat thanx for the info guys
Peeling Toes
Posted 2004-04-04 5:22 AM (#5100 - in reply to #3628)

I can't recommend the Manduka mats enough. They're much sturdier than the Tapas mats and make balancing poses quite easy. On a Tapas mat I move to the floor, on a Manduka I can stay on the mat.

I sweat quite bit during my practice and so place a small rug on the mat to maintain traction. this helps a lot, but then my toes begin to peel slowly from the vinyasas on wet cotton... Oh well...

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-08 5:06 PM (#5234 - in reply to #3497)

peeling toes, you're defeating yourself.

Get rid of the superfluous cotton rug.
Sweat on your mat and you won't slip anymore. Nor will your toes peel from soggy, gross fabric.

That's the secret trick no one talks about.

Christine
sj122
Posted 2004-06-08 10:50 AM (#7274 - in reply to #3598)
Subject: ashtanga

hello
I am moving to cape town in November and am anxious to find an ashtanga class so that I don't have a break from practise. Could you recommend a teacher/class/count class ??
I think I might be living in Obs when I arrive but would be prepared to travel so long as it is not really early in the morning.

thanks for your help

sarah
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)