YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fitness program including yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

Jessica
Posted 2004-02-04 3:42 PM (#3504)
Subject: Fitness program including yoga

I just joined a gym and have started taking 2 Iyengar Yoga classes a week. I would like to begin a fitness program that would include yoga, some cardio, and perhaps (light) weights. My goal is to lose about 15 lbs and tone up in general. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fitness plan that would include Yoga, as well as other kinds of excersize?

thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Avo
Posted 2004-04-05 5:18 PM (#5149 - in reply to #3504)
Subject: RE: Fitness program including yoga

It would be good to do a programme like the one you describe. Why don't you chat to a fitness instructor at the gym you have joined, and ask them to help you devise a suitable programme. I also joined a gym recently, and have been very impressed with how helpful they have been. You need to take various factors into consideration when you start doing exercise, such as age, your level of fitness, health problems etc, so it is important to have professional advice and not just do what lay-people suggest. Good luck, and enjoy!!
yogabrian
Posted 2004-07-07 12:28 PM (#8167 - in reply to #3504)

Dear Jessica,

I would talk to a certifed persoanl trainer at your gym and do a couple sessions with them. Make sure that your trainer is NASM certified and uses an integrated approach to your fitness goals.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-07-08 6:51 PM (#8209 - in reply to #3504)

Dear Jessica:
I do not understand your question. What do you mean by Fitness Plan which includes Yoga and other things? Make up your own plan and add Yoga Exercises, and whatever other things you want. Do you want someone else to make this plan for you? If you are in Virginia, come to me and I shall make one for you.

A person who makes plan for you should see you and do exercise with you for a while before making a plan.

I hate this idea of Plans in USA where Standardization is implemented in Non-standardized society.

Neel
Yo'Av
Posted 2004-10-11 6:14 PM (#10743 - in reply to #3504)

The best way for you to lose weight and tone up is to gain muscle tone, and that is done by resistance (weight) training. It is recommended that you do your intense workout only 3-4 times a week, and in between is the time when your body will start to change. As for the Yoga, you can squeeze in a session in the days that you're not doing the resistance training, for a great stretch.
Don't forget: if you really want to lose weight and change your body, it's important to combine in your workouts cardio work (aerobics).
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-10-12 12:04 PM (#10786 - in reply to #3504)

Jessica

First, I suggest doing more yoga. Try to work it into your schedule more regularly. Even if it is not a full class. Try to do 10-20 min at home in the morning. Or do 10-15 before and after you do your other workout for a warmup/cooldown.

Second, if you are really excited about doing a gym workout and losing weight and getting in shape, then go to www.crossfit.com.

It is true fitness (strength, speed, power, balance, flexibility, agility). All the workouts are scaleable to be doable by people of all ages and fitness levels. It requires some time to learn some of the movements but doesn't require a lot of equipment or time. However the movements and exercises are all functional exercises which will help you with life and not just make you look good.

If that is too much for you, I recommend starting with a program of bodyweight (or assisted bodyweight) exercises: pullups, pushups, squats, lunges, situps, back extensions, jumping rope. Try to work your body in a way that compliments your yoga practice. Generally speaking Yoga is slow. Your gym workout should be fast. Yoga doesn't do any pulling or lifting movements. Your gym workout should focus on a lot of pulling and lifting movements.

For example, Pullups are one of the best exercises, but you will never get that motion in a yoga class so it is necessary to do pullups in your fitness routine for proper balance. They are often overlooked because most people cannot do them unassisted at first. So to get started you have to modify them. Most gyms have a gravitron assisted pullup machine and/or you can find giant rubber bands to loop around the bar and stand on that will assist you. Also you can do reverse rows where you place a barbell on the rack about 4 to 5 feet high and then you hang from it like an upside down pushup. You keep your body straight and reclined with your weight on your heels and your toes pointing up. You keep your body flat as a board (great ab work) and you hang from the bar with straight arms. Then you pull your chest up to the bar with your heels on the floor and your back straight.

Lat pull downs on the machine where you sit and pull the bar to you don't count.

The most important thing about fitness and being in shape is that it trains your body to work better in life not just to look better. Bodybuilding is a waste of time. However, training your body to lift weight is important because we have to learn to lift things in life so that we can carry our groceries and play with our children. Machines are useless for learning how to lift things. You should learn how to bend your knees and pick a weight up off the floor and carry it around because that is what we do in life.

Finally, have fun! The more your workout is like work, the less likely you are to stick with it. Try dancing and playing in the park as part of your new lifestyle. Maybe a little competition will make things fun. Set small fun goals and rewards. Get other people involved. Have a support group in place, so that when you feel like bailing out, there are people to help keep you focused and help drag you to the gym when you don't feel like it.

My $0.02

the_pigeon05
Posted 2005-09-10 8:44 PM (#31483 - in reply to #3504)

I've just used yoga as part of my warm up and cool down. I use the sun salutation in both along with a few other poses. Its your basic warmup - cardio/strength training - cooldown kinda thing. I just substitute yoga in as my flexiblity training. On off days, I will either follow my relaxation themed yoga dvds to help recover. I may even go with a 15-20 minute workout at home after a gym session to help loosen up. I say experiment and see what works best for you.
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-18 9:27 PM (#32338 - in reply to #3504)

NASM is the better choice!
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-21 1:07 PM (#32569 - in reply to #10786)

YogaGuy - 2004-10-12 12:04 PM

For example, Pullups are one of the best exercises, but you will never get that motion in a yoga class so it is necessary to do pullups in your fitness routine for proper balance. They are often overlooked because most people cannot do them unassisted at first. So to get started you have to modify them. Most gyms have a gravitron assisted pullup machine and/or you can find giant rubber bands to loop around the bar and stand on that will assist you. Also you can do reverse rows where you place a barbell on the rack about 4 to 5 feet high and then you hang from it like an upside down pushup. You keep your body straight and reclined with your weight on your heels and your toes pointing up. You keep your body flat as a board (great ab work) and you hang from the bar with straight arms. Then you pull your chest up to the bar with your heels on the floor and your back straight.

Gravitron rocks!!! I went to a gym that had one and it was just awesome. Pretty easy to use, too!

Posted 2005-09-23 7:42 AM (#32750 - in reply to #3504)

i find that the grip on the gravitron is too wide to appropriately activate my muscles--basicly, setting up a misallignment. most machines are made to average male bodies, not female bodies, and thus the gripping bars of many machines are too wide. it's amazing what you can access when the equipment actually fits you!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)