YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Daily Practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

??
Posted 2004-02-05 4:06 PM (#3534)
Subject: Daily Practice

Do any of you practice more then once a day?? Are there any benefits to this? Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-05 6:25 PM (#3542 - in reply to #3534)
Subject: RE: Daily Practice

Sure.
I practice my Primary Series daily, then I take several yoga classes at an Anusara and an Iyengar studio.
Sometimes I come back and do another class at the Ashtanga Center.
I'm a yoga junkie.

The benefits are obvious.
The thing to consider is whether or not you're overtraining. At one point, I was waking up so sore I was wondering why I bothered. As a former gymnast, it was a pretty normal state of affairs for me, though. I happened to mention my serious need for Advil to my Ashtanga teacher, who wigged on me. She introduced me to the whole idea of overtraining. She kicked me out of class and told me not to come back for 3 days. She'd know if I did!

I was kind of mad and kind of laughing, but I took her suggestions. After resting, I felt fine. I slowed down and that's where I started adding in the other types of yoga I call my "theory." They happen to be sister traditions to Ashtanga and help me with good form and alignment. I have that now in my muscle memory, and it helps me move more smoothly through my Primary Series without pushing, the risk of stress injury, and avoiding exhaustion Variety is the spice of life, right?

Anyway, I practice a lot because I practice because it feels good. Plain and simple. No other motives. If you start pushing it, are extremely sore getting out of bed, or start getting repetative stress injuries such as tennis elbow or rotator cuff soreness, you might consider taking my 1st Ashtanga teacher's advice. It's made me really strong and my practice has improved greatly from just not being exhausted.

Christine
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)