YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram vs other styles
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Lisa
Posted 2004-02-07 8:37 AM (#3576)
Subject: Bikram vs other styles

I have been practicing Bikram style yoga for about 6 months. I love the postures but the intense heat is not something that works for me. I am now looking to explore other styles of Yoga, but I am not sure which style. Can anyone suggest a style that is similiar to Bikram style without the heat?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-02-07 8:48 PM (#3580 - in reply to #3576)
Subject: RE: Bikram vs other styles

I've been doing a lot of similar research Lisa and I think we're out of luck--Bikram is pretty unique. I imagine if there is something, YogaDancer will post soon.
Harry
Posted 2004-02-09 11:38 AM (#3614 - in reply to #3576)

I also love the progressive nature of the Bikram's postures, and enjoy looking forward to the calm that comes with repeating a familiar routine. It took me three years of sweating and cramping and losing six pounds of water weight during class to realize that I had begun to focus more on the heat and less on the postures. Our classes also tended to be competitive and performance oriented, which I came to realize wasn't what I was looking for in a yoga practice.

My solution was to make a small studio in my home where I can practice the "Bikrams" hatha postures in a comfortably warm room, and at my own pace. Practicing with Bikram's 90 minute tape helps me keep a disciplined approach to my postures, and once or twice a week, I also really enjoy doing the series at my own pace, holding some of my most or least favorites as long as I'm in the mood for. Having the flexibility to explore sun salutations, a downward facing dog, or an extended savasana feels really good.

I hope you enjoy exploring other styles, and are able to settle on one that feels right for you.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-11 1:05 PM (#3672 - in reply to #3576)

Hi.
I understand what you're going through. I'll tell you what my recommendation would be if you came to me with this. Others might disagree, but here is my opinion:

Since you've been working so diligently with the Bikram, and enjoy the build and movement, a conventional yoga class where they work each asana muscle by muscle might be boring for you.
However, Bruce is correct. Bikram's approach to yoga and how he treats the spine is unique in the U.S. If you were in India, that would be another story.

What I'd suggest is to continue your home practice, since you with what I'm suggesting, you'll miss the "worked-out" aspect. I suggest you think of this as an investment in yoursef and your yoga development. Add in an Iyengar or Anusara Level I/II to your schedule. You don't need a Level I, but you would need to know how the other schools of yoga use the same asanas to take my next suggestion. The good thing is that you'll be used to teachers talking. They won't scream at you, so you might miss the abuse but you'll be used to instruction. Sivananda would be something you'd feel familiar with, given that it uses the lower back as a fulcrum point, but hold off on this. I have a plan for you here!

Once you get a hang on the different approach to the asanas and these traditions of yoga, look around for what are called "Flow" or "vinyasa" classes. These are poses linked to the breath, IOW, each in/exhalation has a movement. They also build, then move back down to Svanasana. You must start with a beginning class. These classes don't teach you the asana, but rather the sequences. You wouldn't start a dance class in the middle, right? Think of this as the same thing. Another point is that if you don't teach yourself the form and alignment of these traditions of yoga, you will earn repetative stress injuries trying to use Bikram's alignment -- or lack thereof. I feel so strongly about this that I'll bet you $100.00 right now that if you skip the learning or prep step, you'll think of me ruefully in a few months.

Anyway, these are fantastic, heat-building opportunities without the external heat. You build from within, which is SO much better for the joints and muscles. Once you feel comfortable in these breath-related classes, and your teacher indicates you can move up levels?

You would be physically and breath-ly (?) ready to try an Ashtanga class. The ultimate in "flow" or vinyasa. Again, you'd start at the Level I/II, because it's a dance. A 90-120 minute dance. The point of an Ashtanga led class is to help you take the asanas, memorize them, and ultimately do what's called a "Mysore" class. Mysore is the city in India where Pattabhi founded this yoga style. A Mysore practice is done silently, with the teacher only moving around making adjustments. You really, truly get into meditation in motion and leave with that fantastic feeling of a relaxed, moved body and a calm, energized mind.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Nausea says there's something wrong. If you're focusing on that, you're unable to experience whole point of yoga. Well, I guess one could meditate on nausea. Meditation does use focal points. But how miserable!!!

Enjoy your yoga. But change "families" wisely, OK?

Christine

Posted 2004-02-11 5:30 PM (#3679 - in reply to #3576)

Did Christine come through or what??!! We are lucky to have her guiding us.
Cheers Yogi Christine--and thanks.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-11 7:21 PM (#3682 - in reply to #3576)

I appreciate the vote of confidence.
I wish I knew as much as I don't know!

Christine

Posted 2004-02-11 7:24 PM (#3684 - in reply to #3682)

Well you're in luck--while I pretty much stick at yoga, I'm an expert on stuff people don't know--happy to advise on any subject

YogaDancer - 2004-02-11 6:21 PM

I appreciate the vote of confidence.
I wish I knew as much as I don't know!

Christine
Lisa
Posted 2004-02-14 2:22 PM (#3744 - in reply to #3672)
Subject: ---

Christine,

Thanks for your wonderful advice. You are awesome, Bruce is right we are lucky to have someone so knowledgeable like yourself. I truly appreiciate it and I will take your recommendations into consideration.

Namaste,
Lisa
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-15 4:29 PM (#3764 - in reply to #3576)

I'd love to hear how you do!

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)