YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeling like a cold is coming on...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Ang
Posted 2004-02-10 4:15 PM (#3649)
Subject: Feeling like a cold is coming on...

Do you suggest doing practice if you are feeling sick?? I just started daily practice 2 months ago and would hate to miss it!! However I don't want to get "more sick" hehe...could practice be good or would I just be putting myself in a "more sick" situation. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-11 9:56 AM (#3666 - in reply to #3649)
Subject: RE: Feeling like a cold is coming on...

There are mixed feelings about this.

DownDog is said to clear the sinuses, but it's also said to make sinus infection worse.

The majority of practitioners feel if the body is weak enough to be ill, you should do something more in keeping with a practice that restores.

Here's the idea: active practices such as ours, or the Primary Series, have all the blood, energy, lymphatic fluids, etc., being pumped into the external body. The muscles, glands, etc. When you do a restorative practice, the these elements are not demanding sustinance. The important fresh fluids and energy can be devoted to the internal body, such as the organs, the immune system, the circulatory system, etc., offering the body a real opportunity to refresh and cleanse. These restorative asanas, held much longer without effort, also give the facia a chance to release. Frequently it's not tight muscles that prevent us from moving, but cement-like facia gripping the muscles in its "casing."

Now I'm not one for lying around. I get really antzy. However, given the fact the universe has organized my life so I teach Gentle yoga, I thought last week I'd take a class in it. Here's what I found: It was calm. Soft music, the teacher gave meditational readings and guided imagery during the poses, and I was really able to let my body relax. The 90 minutes passed really quickly.

I got up and went to practice. I found then, 2 things. My body was SO OPEN I could tell I'd received a huge release from the restorative postures. My Primary Series was so improved I felt I'd had huge breakthroughs. However, there were tighter areas of my body where it rejected the release and I could feel the facia/muscles retracting into their original positions. This told me I shouldn't scorn lying still, but use these asanas as a tool to open really tight areas in my body.

My point in all this, is that if you're sick, try something that keeps your energy focused on your greater health rather than just muscular health. Then, realize this could really further your Ashtanga practice in ways that one would never imagine!

And do lots of Matsyeandrasana because it's said to stimulate your thymus gland. And feel better!

Christine
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)