YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

enlighten me about bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

anacleto
Posted 2004-02-11 11:31 AM (#3669)
Subject: enlighten me about bikram

Hi, I have been practicing different types of yoga for about 8 months (hatha, fitness yoga, yoga ball) and have recently begun reading and researching about bikram. I am planning to try a class next week for the first time. I would really appreciate any insight into exactly what to expect from a class. Are they really "difficult", how long are the poses held, do you rest in between, etc. I am excited to try this type of yoga, and would appreciate any information anyone is willing to impart.

Thank you in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-11 12:33 PM (#3671 - in reply to #3669)
Subject: RE: enlighten me about bikram

Start to hydrate 12 hours before class. We're not talking a sip of water, but rather 64 oz. You must hydrate your tissues, not your stomach to save off nausea.

Know that Bikram is hard on the lower back if you're not already strong and flexible. You're a beginner and this crunching of the spine and neck is not particularly biomechanically wise, so you need to pay attention to pain vs. discomfort and not compete with those around you. Take Bruce's tip here and if you need to stop and rest for a minute, do so.

The timing on the poses differs from pose to pose.

Always hold in your lower abdominal muscles (uddiyana bandha) to support your core. Your spine, hips, etc. Don't grip them, but keep them firm.

When you can in standing poses and forward bends, lift your toes. This will help keep the stretch in your legs vs. lower back.

Final recommendation? Do more "hatha" for at least another year before this. But that is my recommendation.

Christine

Posted 2004-02-11 5:37 PM (#3680 - in reply to #3669)

I wish I had more hatha exposure before beginning Bikram. Specifically because I would have a much better understanding of what I should be trying to accomplish and see how I reacted to it. Indoc to yoga only via Bikram is a STEEP learning curve.
nanyamka
Posted 2004-02-17 4:49 PM (#3809 - in reply to #3669)

i have been taking bikram for exactly one week. this is the only exposure to yoga that i have ever had. already i am feeling slight changes in my body. i am on the 60 day plan so i look forward to many more. if you are looking for a practice that will provide a new challenge each day...then try bikram!

Posted 2004-02-23 10:15 AM (#3977 - in reply to #3809)

I found it difficult to try other yoga styles after Bikram--get in that routine and having the teachers tell you exactly what to do when--was tough to go with the flow in ashtanga and vinyasa.

nanyamka - 2004-02-17 3:49 PM

i have been taking bikram for exactly one week. this is the only exposure to yoga that i have ever had. already i am feeling slight changes in my body. i am on the 60 day plan so i look forward to many more. if you are looking for a practice that will provide a new challenge each day...then try bikram!
Val
Posted 2004-03-16 1:00 AM (#4487 - in reply to #3669)

I guess by now you have already had your Bikram class... But for what it's worth, here is my opinion. Avoid Bikram at any cost. You learn only 26 poses. You will never do an inversion because it is not part of the sequence. Just for reference, the shoulder stand and the head stand are referred to as the Queen and King of Yoga postures, which gives you an idea of their importance. Furthermore, if you have health concerns such as glaucoma, low or high blood pressure, anxiety types of disorders, heart related issues, etc, you must talk to your doctor first. Bikram is hot and claustrophobic! If you have old injuries, you should talk to a doctor before you attempt Bikram. Your body will be hot and your muscles will tend to stretch further than under normal conditions, so be careful. I've seen plenty of people injured during Bikram classes and never knew about it until they went home. Bikram is also stressful since you will most likely have an instructor yelling at you according to their script, which begs the question "What happened to tranquility, self observation without criticism, loving care, equanimity and non-competition?" This is what yoga should foster after all. As you can see, I am not a fan of Bikram.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-16 11:42 PM (#4512 - in reply to #3669)

Actually, I think Hands to Feet Pose, Separate Leg Stretching and possibly Separate Leg Stretching Forehead to Knee are considered inversions in Bikram Yoga. Head below heart?
Amy
Posted 2004-03-19 5:38 PM (#4662 - in reply to #3669)

I went to one Bikram class and didn't enjoy it. I thought it was hot and hard to breathe. I did feel very good immediately afterwards but I think I suffered from exhaustion at the end of the day.

I think it is one thing to say "do not compete" with people around you and a whole different challenge to not compete especially as a new person in the class. I think the environment of the Bikram studio is dangerous to some people and can't imagine anyone feeling like it's non-competitive .... I don't see how the environment is actually promoting that. It's really hot and that is the greatest problem I had... there was no way to say "can you turn down the heat?"

I got the idea that if you are just looking for physical results and you are physically fit already then this is the way for you. The bodies on the regular Bikram students that I saw in class were absolutely beautiful... both men and women.

I don't think Bikram is for me, but I might try it again in a year or so to see if I feel the same.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-19 6:11 PM (#4663 - in reply to #3669)

Amy,

In my opinion, Bikram is definitely not for everyone, in spite of what Bikram himself says. Some people just don't like the heat at all, some just don't like to sweat, some don't like the regimentation. I still would say that it is non-competitive (at least the classes I attend) unless you make it so. We are told to just focus on ourself and not even look at the other people in class. Of course, you can compete with yourself to some degree by striving too much. There are so many forms of yoga these days, something for everyone I would imagine so give something else a try. It seems people tend to love Bikram or hate it. I love it
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-19 7:38 PM (#4664 - in reply to #3669)

I second Kathy Ann's response, Bikram isn't for everyone. The heat and intensity is difficult to last through. I'm still on the fence regarding staying with Bikram but I'm giving it the old college try. I've just plunked down $110.00 for 12 classes (the least expensive option in my neck of the woods).
There are quite a few yoga options out there so good luck. I was reading about the Forrest method a few weeks ago and it looked interesting (www.forrestyoga.com). Check it out and have a good weekend.

Posted 2004-03-19 8:13 PM (#4666 - in reply to #4662)

I HATED Bikram yoga day 1--left in the middle of class, called the woman who urged me to go and ranted for 20 minutes--"Are you nuts??!! I was the only middle aged fat guy in among 20 limber women in their 20s for God's sake!! I was TRYING to do positions NO man could ever do! etc." That night a shoulder that bothered me for years that no massage or drugs had fixed was cured--seriously. So I went back the next day and have been working hard at it. Since August of 2003, I've not had a single sick day, not even a cold and lost weight, toned up and feel much better all around. Won't swear is was only the Bikram routine but my life is better, I enjoy learning from my teachers and fellow students, like the time to myself, and just enjoy all aspects. I still get anxious enroute to class wondering how I'll do in all that heat for 90 minutes. Could be it's always a challenge that I can usually meet in some degree. I've tried other styles of yoga and never felt that challenge so that's where I am on the subject.

Amy - 2004-03-19 4:38 PM

I went to one Bikram class and didn't enjoy it. I thought it was hot and hard to breathe. I did feel very good immediately afterwards but I think I suffered from exhaustion at the end of the day.

I think it is one thing to say "do not compete" with people around you and a whole different challenge to not compete especially as a new person in the class. I think the environment of the Bikram studio is dangerous to some people and can't imagine anyone feeling like it's non-competitive .... I don't see how the environment is actually promoting that. It's really hot and that is the greatest problem I had... there was no way to say "can you turn down the heat?"

I got the idea that if you are just looking for physical results and you are physically fit already then this is the way for you. The bodies on the regular Bikram students that I saw in class were absolutely beautiful... both men and women.

I don't think Bikram is for me, but I might try it again in a year or so to see if I feel the same.
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-20 1:09 PM (#4680 - in reply to #3669)

On 3-19-2004 Bruce said:

"I still get anxious enroute to class wondering how I'll do in all that heat for 90 minutes. "

You too?? I thought it was just me! About an hour before every class, I start to get nervous wondering if I can last through class. Of course after I get there and lay down before class starts, my nervousness goes away. I wonder why that happens? It's not like I've never taken the class before and I'm not in competition with anyone.

Posted 2004-03-20 2:40 PM (#4688 - in reply to #4680)

You're in competition with yourself kiddo--like you wrote, you want to get through class. A little anxiety is good--atheletes and actors need that energy to perform at their peak. I never lay down befor class--too ready to rock--I'm cameling and cobraing. I'm afraid if I lay down, I'll pass out
Tibard - 2004-03-20 12:09 PM

On 3-19-2004 Bruce said:

"I still get anxious enroute to class wondering how I'll do in all that heat for 90 minutes. "

You too?? I thought it was just me! About an hour before every class, I start to get nervous wondering if I can last through class. Of course after I get there and lay down before class starts, my nervousness goes away. I wonder why that happens? It's not like I've never taken the class before and I'm not in competition with anyone.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-22 4:17 PM (#4743 - in reply to #3669)

That's funny Bruce I never lay down before class either and I always try to get there early so I can have a few minutes to adjust to the heat and do a little stretching - lately I have been doing the "Cobbler's Pose" (I think that's what it's callled) where you sit with your feet in front of you, soles pressed together and try to push your legs down towards the floor. I'm afraid I would get dizzy if I laid down first.

Challenging? Oh my yes! I still feel a bit anxious before every class and feel continually challenged and invariably, if I'm feeling great and sure that I am going to do great in class, I do lousy. But I really do try to do as Marco has taught us which is NOT to have any set expectations, just take what our bodies give us on any particular day. Easier said than done, of course.

Posted 2004-03-22 5:40 PM (#4746 - in reply to #3669)

I do have my best practices when there's no expectations. What's difficult for me is knowing what to contract and what to relax muscle-wise in many of these asanas.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)