YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60 day practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Posted 2004-02-20 7:34 PM (#3931 - in reply to #3929)
Subject: RE: 60 day practice

C--I've been married for 30 years--my 90 minutes at yoga is to get away from family! Hell, my kids think my name is ATM and my wife wants to drag me to craft shows--I however hold the belief way down deep that I can really still be a pirate--sailing the bounding main, plundering, saving damsels, winning the respect of the queen--I get to do that during savasna ('cept I call it siesta and does THAT ever piss my teachers off).

YogaDancer - 2004-02-20 5:33 PM

Bruce. Take the family with you. Tell work you're seeing a doctor for job related stress and anxiety. It's cheaper to them than medical leave.

What the heck. It's not quite a lie ... is it?

Christine
Top of the page Bottom of the page
vero
Posted 2004-02-21 12:36 AM (#3933 - in reply to #3931)

Bruce, you are quite a character

Posted 2004-02-21 7:18 AM (#3935 - in reply to #3933)

A pirate Ronni, not a character

vero - 2004-02-20 11:36 PM

Bruce, you are quite a character
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-02-21 10:09 AM (#3939 - in reply to #3918)

Erik:

The 60-day challenge can be very rewarding if it is approached with the right mindset. My students who are most successful at this are those who give themselves permission to have gentle days, sit out postures when they feel they need to, and respect their edges and limits. (We have one woman who has practiced every day for an entire year!)

There are many people, however, who are simply not good candidates for the challenge. For example, brand new people or extreme type As (which this yoga does attract). To me, if someone is so type A that they insist on moving further into a posture before they've laid the foundation (i.e. insisting on kicking out in Standing Head to Knee when the teacher is pointedly telling them they are not ready to do so), they are going to risk injury doing a 60 day challenge.

I'm glad you're enjoying your practice. Over the next 20 days, I hope you'll listen to your body, practice with moderation and keep yourself hydrated.

Posted 2004-02-21 6:28 PM (#3945 - in reply to #3810)

I went to class everyday this week and today, the 7th day, I was TOTAL exhausted--had nothing left to give and spent the floor series in savasana. I'm taking a couple of days off and recouping.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-02-21 10:53 PM (#3947 - in reply to #3945)

Good for you, Bruce! I think that has been one of the hardest things for me to do -- just give myself permission to sit out postures. You'll probably think this is really strange, but I actually cried the first time I did it. When you do the 9 week Bikram training, you practice 2x each time except Saturday, which is 1x and Sundays off. About 2/3 into the training, I found myself in need of sitting down. I struggled so hard with it that I actually began to hyperventilate! What a nutcase I was . . .

Enjoy your extra long "siesta"

Posted 2004-02-22 8:06 AM (#3949 - in reply to #3947)

Understand Gwyn, it's tough to not stay with the class and instead hug that mat until the breath returns. The bows (standing and florr) are very tough for me for many reasons; foreign moves, I'm sopped and have no grip, my arms and legs are not "normal" (hard to explain but my elbow and kee joints are different. I give it my ALL in bow and am really not ready to move instantly into postures after that--siesta!

My Cats' Mom - 2004-02-21 9:53 PM

Good for you, Bruce! I think that has been one of the hardest things for me to do -- just give myself permission to sit out postures. You'll probably think this is really strange, but I actually cried the first time I did it. When you do the 9 week Bikram training, you practice 2x each time except Saturday, which is 1x and Sundays off. About 2/3 into the training, I found myself in need of sitting down. I struggled so hard with it that I actually began to hyperventilate! What a nutcase I was . . .

Enjoy your extra long "siesta"
vero
Posted 2004-02-22 6:38 PM (#3959 - in reply to #3935)

Anyway, Bruce. Your a trip. You "quack" me up.
Could someone please explain to me what type "A" is? I'm new to all this.

Posted 2004-02-23 6:05 AM (#3966 - in reply to #3959)

Hardy har har And short version of type A & B: Type A people are the ones who live to work, are always planning, are goal oriented and wanting things NOW; type B's go with the flow, don't get upset when things don't go exactly as planned. These aren't yoga terms per se rather psychological ones.
vero - 2004-02-22 5:38 PM

Anyway, Bruce. Your a trip. You "quack" me up.
Could someone please explain to me what type "A" is? I'm new to all this.
Elizabeth
Posted 2004-03-01 2:10 AM (#4196 - in reply to #3947)

I just found this discussion board; lost my boyfriend to the model helicopter boards, and figured there must be a Bikram one for me... bingo!

Glad to read you cried the first time you sat out a pose (not because you cried, but because it resonated)... I cried today because I had to leave class early due to an imminent migraine on day 30 of my 30-day challenge (ok, the crying could have been because migraines always whack me out emotionally). Then I find out that half-tortoise, the pose in which I started seeing my migraine aura, is supposed to HELP migraines? Telling myself that sometimes "helping" doesn't mean "making it go away" but "making it happen faster" so I can get it over with and on with my life.

Totally laughing to read all over this post about type A folks being drawn to Bikram... that's SO me, much as I hate to admit it

Posted 2004-03-01 5:05 AM (#4200 - in reply to #4196)

I'm excited to see there's a model helicopter board--didn't know that!

Elizabeth - 2004-03-01 1:10 AM

I just found this discussion board; lost my boyfriend to the model helicopter boards, and figured there must be a Bikram one for me... bingo!

Glad to read you cried the first time you sat out a pose (not because you cried, but because it resonated)... I cried today because I had to leave class early due to an imminent migraine on day 30 of my 30-day challenge (ok, the crying could have been because migraines always whack me out emotionally). Then I find out that half-tortoise, the pose in which I started seeing my migraine aura, is supposed to HELP migraines? Telling myself that sometimes "helping" doesn't mean "making it go away" but "making it happen faster" so I can get it over with and on with my life.

Totally laughing to read all over this post about type A folks being drawn to Bikram... that's SO me, much as I hate to admit it
Bikes2Yoga
Posted 2004-03-01 6:40 PM (#4220 - in reply to #4200)

(changed my handle from Elizabeth)

There are actually SIX model helicopter boards, "four that I frequent, two exceptional ones," he claims. Let me know if you need a new hobby and I can hook you up

Posted 2004-03-01 6:49 PM (#4221 - in reply to #4220)

My wife would KILL me if I came up with another hobby she hates: Motorcycling, sailing, guns and yoga. She has no sense of humor.

Bikes2Yoga - 2004-03-01 5:40 PM

(changed my handle from Elizabeth)

There are actually SIX model helicopter boards, "four that I frequent, two exceptional ones," he claims. Let me know if you need a new hobby and I can hook you up
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)