YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

first bikram class
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

anacleto
Posted 2004-02-18 2:56 PM (#3837)
Subject: first bikram class

I had my first bikram class last night - I have done other types of yoga for the past 6 months, and I love it. For me the class felt like torture - I hated the heat. As far as the postures are concerned, I did fine, I was able to perform most of them - and of course I have room for improvement. But, my question is how long does it take to "get used" to the heat, or better said overcome it? Do most students like Bikram immediately or does it take getting used to? Just curious as to others perceptions/experiences.

Something else, I did not like the atmosphere - the people or studio (they were very cold), and the teacher reminded me of an auctioneer, talking very fast, no interchange between people, very regimented.

On the other hand the classes were packed, people obviously love this type of yoga.

I have another class prepaid which I plan to go to - but I would appreciate hearing about others' experiences.

Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 2004-02-18 3:23 PM (#3838 - in reply to #3837)
Subject: RE: first bikram class

Namaste Anacleto,
I once tried bikram, as our local studio has a introductory offer of 5 classes for only 50 Rand (roundabout 6$).
1. The first class nearly killed me. I spent half of the time lying on my mat and grasping for air. But nevertheless I felt wonderful afterwards and was hooked immediately. Maybe because of all the beautiful female bodies in tight costumes around me
2. This time I knew better, just wearing a speedo and had lots of water with me. Feeling a little nausea but managed to do most of the asanas.
3. Easy going. Heat is no problem and the 90 minutes were just flying by.
4. I love the heat, I love to sweat. What? Time over already? I want more!
5. I am the bikram professional. Such a shame that this is the last class coz I can't afford a membership and also the studio is quite a long trek from my home.

About the lack of interchange and the rather hard regiment of the teacher: Sometimes you're lucky, in my case the classes were done by a very nice and adorable young lady. We called her the "yoga drill sergeant" when he wasn't around but indeed she was'nt very military at all. She was very helpful, cheerful and uplifting. So maybe you are just in the wrong studio.
I also liked the very standardized routine of bikram. No distractions during class. It was easy to just go into it and forget everything else around you. My mind was much more in a yogic state than I ever experienced in any iyengar class.
I'm thinking about joining the bikram again. Maybe once a month as a special treat. To do bikram as your only yoga style I guess it's not challenging enough in the long run. There is not much space for improvement.
ANACLETO
Posted 2004-02-18 3:43 PM (#3839 - in reply to #3837)

Thank you for your response. I think that I just hate sweating and the heat. I was able to complete the class fine, I had brought my towels and water - it just felt so uncomfortable. Don't the same postures, time after time get old though? Or like you mentioned is it preferable because you don't really have to think?

Thanks again.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-02-18 4:53 PM (#3843 - in reply to #3837)

> Don't the same postures, time after time get old though?

That's one of the reasons why I gave it up. After 5 classes it's still okay and there's a lot to learn but in the long run I have the feeling you don't go nowhere with bikram.

> Or like you mentioned is it preferable because you don't really have to think?

I guess after some time (say 20 years ) of iyengar yoga practice we'll reach the same state of mind and can do all the asanas flawlessly without much thinking.

Posted 2004-02-18 7:59 PM (#3846 - in reply to #3837)

I gotta say I love it. After 6 months I've gotten to know the teachers well (we have them over for holidays, go to lunch etc) and have understood the Bikram method more in the yoga universe in large part due to this forum (not to negate everybody's contricutions but extra special thanks to Christine--YogaDancer). Bikram is good low impact exercise, I feel better, like the 90 minutes in a different world, like getting more proficient at the asanas, like haveing some time to myself, like how its positively affected my attitude and like being the oldest guy there among a mostly young crowd...we inspire each other.

anacleto - 2004-02-18 1:56 PM

I had my first bikram class last night - I have done other types of yoga for the past 6 months, and I love it. For me the class felt like torture - I hated the heat. As far as the postures are concerned, I did fine, I was able to perform most of them - and of course I have room for improvement. But, my question is how long does it take to "get used" to the heat, or better said overcome it? Do most students like Bikram immediately or does it take getting used to? Just curious as to others perceptions/experiences.

Something else, I did not like the atmosphere - the people or studio (they were very cold), and the teacher reminded me of an auctioneer, talking very fast, no interchange between people, very regimented.

On the other hand the classes were packed, people obviously love this type of yoga.

I have another class prepaid which I plan to go to - but I would appreciate hearing about others' experiences.

Thank you.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-02-19 5:52 PM (#3881 - in reply to #3837)

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many different types of yoga? I would imagine most anyone who has an interest could find a type that they could benefit from and enjoy. If you don't like to be in a heated environment and/or don't like to sweat, then I would think Bikram is not for you. Although it may take some time to adjust to the heat and get used to it, I don't think you should force yourself if you already know it makes you feel uncomfortable to sweat. It also may depend on the type of climate you live in. If a hot day where you live is 80 degrees, then a room that is over 100 degrees may be miserable or it may feel great! To each his own.

Personally, I have been doing Bikram for about 4 months and I LOVE it! I also happen to live in Phoenix where it gets very hot in the summer so I am used to the heat. I also loved to sweat while exercising even before I started Bikram so I like that aspect too.

As far as the postures go, I know I will find them challenging for a long time to come. One can always go deeper into the asanas or adjust them to make them more difficult if needed. It is definitely NOT a no-brainer for me!

My point is just that we are all different and, thankfully, we have lots of choices when it comes to yoga.

Posted 2004-02-19 7:38 PM (#3884 - in reply to #3837)

Well said Kathy Ann--you're OK
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-02-20 1:03 PM (#3905 - in reply to #3837)

Hey - thanks Bruce! I'm OK, you're OK too!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-20 2:13 PM (#3909 - in reply to #3837)

About the postures never changing?

Yoga asana is intended to be a way to still the mind and body in preparation for meditation. One of the purposes of yoga and meditation: to bring you closer to whatever your version of the Divine you hold.

In a memorized sequence, theoretically you can get in the Dharana of it. The total concentration where you go through your asanas and look up to find 90 minutes has passed. However, this is very lost to most people because many teachers, particularly in series like Bikram, have no idea. They're not taught to. Plus, their students come for a workout. They're not necessarily interested in mental stillness, although that's a huge stress relief!

In my practice, which is Ashtanga, the levels mean different things. It's more focused on memorization of the Series than beating yourself to death. As you memorize the Series, the body is also working and opening. By the time you're ready to move to what's called a Mysore practice, chances are there are only a few asanas which would cause you to slow down and focus on them instead of your breath and movement because they're still difficult. Mysore is done in total silence, without the drill sargent (a yoga and an aerobics teacher had a car accident and you got peanut butter in my chocolate and produced a Bikram teacher. I mean that only in affectionate terms!) Anyway, the teacher simply moves about the room making assists.

So although the poses remain the same, the body is always changing so they're always different. There is a great freedom not having to pay attention to anything but the sound of your own Ujjiyi breathing and the smooth, sliding of your muscles. It's also great not to have to worry about what comes next, or what did we do in class last week? Some days I get all the way through to the closing postures, where backbends will bring me out of this intense focus. My shoulders are incredibly tight, so that's my moment. Once I'm past the backbends though, I sink back into the concentration right through inversions to Svanasana.

So you see, yoga doesn't have to be all screaming and yelling, didactic discussion of the pectinius muscle, or being cajoled to FIND the stretch, or what the heck ever.

There are tons of different ways to teach yoga. There are a ton of ways to find freedom in poses. If you don't like the Bikram experience? Don't do it. It doesn't mean you couldn't do the asanas elsewhere if you just don't like the heat or yelling. The important thing is to find a balance of safety, strenght and ease in your postures so you can move with the utmost freedom from the body. This frees the mind.. and so on!

Christine

Posted 2004-02-21 8:33 AM (#3936 - in reply to #3909)

I have some good news regarding some Bikram teachers Christine--mine anyway. After they've been teaching for awhile, seems they've realized that there is much more to learn than the Bikram spiel. Hearing concerns from their students, reading of the science and art of yoga, taking practice from more senior yogis, their mids have opened. There's hope for us all.

YogaDancer - 2004-02-20 1:13 PM

About the postures never changing?

Yoga asana is intended to be a way to still the mind and body in preparation for meditation. One of the purposes of yoga and meditation: to bring you closer to whatever your version of the Divine you hold.

In a memorized sequence, theoretically you can get in the Dharana of it. The total concentration where you go through your asanas and look up to find 90 minutes has passed. However, this is very lost to most people because many teachers, particularly in series like Bikram, have no idea. They're not taught to. Plus, their students come for a workout. They're not necessarily interested in mental stillness, although that's a huge stress relief!

In my practice, which is Ashtanga, the levels mean different things. It's more focused on memorization of the Series than beating yourself to death. As you memorize the Series, the body is also working and opening. By the time you're ready to move to what's called a Mysore practice, chances are there are only a few asanas which would cause you to slow down and focus on them instead of your breath and movement because they're still difficult. Mysore is done in total silence, without the drill sargent (a yoga and an aerobics teacher had a car accident and you got peanut butter in my chocolate and produced a Bikram teacher. I mean that only in affectionate terms!) Anyway, the teacher simply moves about the room making assists.

So although the poses remain the same, the body is always changing so they're always different. There is a great freedom not having to pay attention to anything but the sound of your own Ujjiyi breathing and the smooth, sliding of your muscles. It's also great not to have to worry about what comes next, or what did we do in class last week? Some days I get all the way through to the closing postures, where backbends will bring me out of this intense focus. My shoulders are incredibly tight, so that's my moment. Once I'm past the backbends though, I sink back into the concentration right through inversions to Svanasana.

So you see, yoga doesn't have to be all screaming and yelling, didactic discussion of the pectinius muscle, or being cajoled to FIND the stretch, or what the heck ever.

There are tons of different ways to teach yoga. There are a ton of ways to find freedom in poses. If you don't like the Bikram experience? Don't do it. It doesn't mean you couldn't do the asanas elsewhere if you just don't like the heat or yelling. The important thing is to find a balance of safety, strenght and ease in your postures so you can move with the utmost freedom from the body. This frees the mind.. and so on!

Christine
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-21 8:59 AM (#3937 - in reply to #3837)

It's nice to know that not everyone is in it for the popular fitness dollar!
You've been having conversations with them? I wonder how they feel about this "awakening?" It's so Not Done in Bikram circles! All this stuff comes from the top, so it can be hard to buck the system. I'd wonder if they didn't have moments of feeling all alone about it.

Just meandering.

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-02-21 9:45 AM (#3938 - in reply to #3937)

There is such a thing called a silent class in Bikram, usually done only with teachers and very experienced students. It can be a nice change of pace. I believe, however, that it is not allowed under the Bikram franchise anymore. So I doubt anyone out there is doing it . . .

Posted 2004-02-21 1:00 PM (#3941 - in reply to #3937)

Both my teachers started teaching last summer when I started Bikram. We've been learning together--and we've all come a long way. We socialize a lot and try to make local yoga classes when we can to sample other styles and talk with the yoginis trunning the classes. We're all going to Austin in August for a weekend with Mrs. Bikram. They do stick to the monologe during class but these days, there are are more dialogs ongoing. I was there this morning and after the standing series, I was completley drained--whole week of too much work and too many practices, I just didn't wann do the floor series. So I went into savasana, enjoyed the warmth and now it's Miller time--all's well with the world.
YogaDancer - 2004-02-21 7:59 AM

It's nice to know that not everyone is in it for the popular fitness dollar!
You've been having conversations with them? I wonder how they feel about this "awakening?" It's so Not Done in Bikram circles! All this stuff comes from the top, so it can be hard to buck the system. I'd wonder if they didn't have moments of feeling all alone about it.

Just meandering.

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-02-21 11:01 PM (#3948 - in reply to #3941)

I bet you'll enjoy Rajashree's class. Is it just a Bikram class or will she be lecturing too? Sometimes she's a little hard to understand, but she is really wonderful.

It sounds from your posts that you have some good teachers. I always enjoy taking class from someone who is also experienced with other yoga styles -- they seem less rigid to me and have more to offer as teachers. There is so much good stuff out there to share!

Posted 2004-02-22 11:17 AM (#3953 - in reply to #3948)

There's not a lot of detail on her seminar yet as it's not until August. I'd assume there will be some discussions as it's a 2.5 day deal at the Crossings in Austin. I do have some good teachers Gwyn. They're enthusiastic and playful--we have fun in and out of class. My wife even like 'em and she wants NO part of Bikram yoga (she's a water aerobics fan). My wife has noticed my physical improvement but even more so, my mental and emotional adjustment. I don't know if it's totally the result of yoga or a part of having 90 minutes every other day that I can take for myself that has enhanced my attitide--but I'll take the good anyway I can and not worry too much about what caused it.

My Cats' Mom - 2004-02-21 10:01 PM

I bet you'll enjoy Rajashree's class. Is it just a Bikram class or will she be lecturing too? Sometimes she's a little hard to understand, but she is really wonderful.

It sounds from your posts that you have some good teachers. I always enjoy taking class from someone who is also experienced with other yoga styles -- they seem less rigid to me and have more to offer as teachers. There is so much good stuff out there to share!
mummy
Posted 2004-04-16 2:47 AM (#5421 - in reply to #3837)

Hey there; just found this board and thought I'd chime in...

I've been doing Bikram for about a year, and take class pretty regularly (4-6 days a week).
Since I became regular with my practice, I haven't gotten sick (I used to catch every cold that blew through town), nor do I have lower back probelms any more (no more regular chiropractor visits!). I didn't go in looking for any real solutions, I was just curious and one opened very close to where I live so just tried it, and found it to fit very well into my life.

Now yes, I do agree the spiritual aspect is not emphasized in class, but as one who's been meditating daily for close to ten years, my experience so far with Bikram has been that you can get out of it what you put into it, in the sense that the total focus required to perform the asanas, staying present and mindfully linked with the breath can certainly be considered a meditative practice (or at least a fantastic form of excercise for one who meditates!).

But I also very much agree that it is not for everybody, but what is, really?

Just my experience there...

Posted 2004-04-17 8:15 AM (#5459 - in reply to #5421)

You know, now that you mentioned it, since beginning Bikram, I too have not had a cold, flu, etc. hmmmmm...coincidence? Got me.

mummy - 2004-04-16 1:47 AM

Hey there; just found this board and thought I'd chime in...

I've been doing Bikram for about a year, and take class pretty regularly (4-6 days a week).
Since I became regular with my practice, I haven't gotten sick (I used to catch every cold that blew through town), nor do I have lower back probelms any more (no more regular chiropractor visits!). I didn't go in looking for any real solutions, I was just curious and one opened very close to where I live so just tried it, and found it to fit very well into my life.

Now yes, I do agree the spiritual aspect is not emphasized in class, but as one who's been meditating daily for close to ten years, my experience so far with Bikram has been that you can get out of it what you put into it, in the sense that the total focus required to perform the asanas, staying present and mindfully linked with the breath can certainly be considered a meditative practice (or at least a fantastic form of excercise for one who meditates!).

But I also very much agree that it is not for everybody, but what is, really?

Just my experience there...
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-04-17 11:56 AM (#5461 - in reply to #5421)

Mummy,

I agree with you on the meditative state thing. There is a statement in Erich Shiffman's book regarding his Iyengar practice where he has this "aha" moment. It goes something like, "the purpose of all this physical work is to get you into a deep meditative state".

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-17 12:01 PM (#5462 - in reply to #3837)

I can't remember the last time I've been sick, come to think of it.
C.

Posted 2004-04-17 12:17 PM (#5464 - in reply to #5462)

Bikram called--said, "Tell Christine I was right! MY yoga prevents and cures all disease."

YogaDancer - 2004-04-17 11:01 AM

I can't remember the last time I've been sick, come to think of it.
C.
mtina63
Posted 2004-04-17 12:28 PM (#5465 - in reply to #5421)

Mummy.

I have to totally agree with you on the meditative state that yoga puts you into. I think that alone out of ALL the many benefits that I get from doing yoga is my favorite. While doing Yoga it puts me in touch with myself more and I have come to realize many things about myself that I never knew before. It's definitely made me a more positive person. I look at life in a different way then before. Its a beautiful thing.

I also have to say that since I started doing yoga 7 months ago I haven't gotten sick either. My husband and kids had many colds and the flu this past winter and I stayed healthy all the way through. I attribute that to yoga, I don't think it was just luck.

Tina

mummy
Posted 2004-04-18 4:35 PM (#5489 - in reply to #3837)

Yeah, great everyone!
I can't say for certain, but it feels like we must just sweat out colds...
Like if I'm around sick people a lot, I'll sometimes feel a bit like I'm fighting off a cold, but it won't really progress beyond just being a little run down for a day or two.

Whatever it is, I'm glad!

It's like this; I figure I'm either going to put in the time staying healthy, or I can later put in the time being sick... either way, it seems that we require a certain amount of time to just take care of ourselves.
beteljc
Posted 2004-04-20 9:28 PM (#5548 - in reply to #3837)

Anacleto -

Don't know if you're still around - I see your post was a couple of months ago. I am new to this site but wanted to add what I could of my own Bikram experience. Particularly your question of the same poses that are used class after class. After doing Bikram for a couple of years I can tell you that your body is never the same from one class to the next with Bikram yoga. One day you can do a pose to a certain depth and alignment, the very next day it can be COMPLETELY different. That's one of the most incredible and challenging things about Bikram yoga for me. I expected to be able to 'master' the postures but I can tell you it is impossible. Why try? You eat, talk, drink, think different every day so its bound to affect your yoga practice.

A friend of mine who has been certified as a Bikram Instructor for many years looks so good in her practice but even she still feels she has so much to learn physically and mentally about the Bikram method..I agree! It's not ever boring!

I hope this helps!

PS - The heat gets easier to deal with. Mornings at the studio I go to tend to be dry, few bodies, and semi-hot while the evenings are humid, packed with people, and hot. I personally can't do the humidity so if I were you I'd try different times of day to see which class works well for you that way ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)