YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A question about bikram and weight loss???
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

goindownsouth
Posted 2004-02-24 3:04 PM (#4036)
Subject: A question about bikram and weight loss???

First, allow me to introduce myself. I am a 31 year old male, standing 6'0 tall and weighing over 300 lbs. Now that I have made most of you faint, allow me to say that I am more athletic and limber than many people of my stature.

However, this brings me to a question. I have been reading about Bikram yoga for some time now, and have never praticed yoga of any kind. I have seen some testimonials from individuals who say it has helped them lose weight through firming and toning and the like.

Can anyone provide a personal little insight on this? Much thanks for your time and thoughts.

Dan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cheryl
Posted 2004-02-25 7:59 PM (#4102 - in reply to #4036)
Subject: RE: A question about bikram and weight loss???

Hi Dan,

I'm new to the group too and was going to introduce myself but decided I better answer your question since no one else has yet. Even though you are athletic, I would think that it would be wise to get a doctor's okay before you attempt Bikram. Did you know that the studio is heated to well over 100 degrees? I am sure that once you are medically cleared you will be able to manage it - but I just know that my heart rate soars in there...and I am a marathon runner so it's not a question of being in shape but of heat tolerance.

I would also be concerned about the stress on your back, knees, etc. In my opinion it would be a good idea to take some Hatha or Iyengar classes first, before attempting Bikram. This will let you get used to the postures without adding the difficulty of heat. You may even lose some weight which will make Bikram more enjoyable and will decrease your chance of injury.

This is completely my opinion, and I am not a doctor. If you do decide to go ahead with a Bikram class please be careful, go slowly, and make sure you stay hydrated.

Namaste,

Cheryl
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)