YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

zoddach
Posted 2004-02-25 9:53 AM (#4060)
Subject: New to Yoga

I have recently joined a Hatha Yoga class once a week and have been practicing Yoga at home with my 6 year old daughter. We are both really enjoying Yoga and have no plans of stopping. I would like to build strength and tone my body. Will Yoga do this for me alone or do I need to weight train as well? Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-02-25 9:55 AM (#4061 - in reply to #4060)
Subject: RE: New to Yoga

I've been examining that myself. Until August 2003, I trained with free weights three times a week until I injured my shoulder. I started Bikram yoga at that point and have not touched the weights since. My muscle tone is the same and I'm able to leverage more of my strength becasue I'm not sore or injured as I was using free weights.

zoddach - 2004-02-25 8:53 AM

I have recently joined a Hatha Yoga class once a week and have been practicing Yoga at home with my 6 year old daughter. We are both really enjoying Yoga and have no plans of stopping. I would like to build strength and tone my body. Will Yoga do this for me alone or do I need to weight train as well? Thank you!
Thush
Posted 2004-04-09 1:27 AM (#5243 - in reply to #4061)

I too practice Hatha Yoga. But I attend to a class only once a week and its only 1 hour. I practice many postures. Im flexible enough to do most of them. But I do not sweat as much as I expected. Im not too sure whether im not doing enough or is that the way of Yoga? Coz I did aerobics for 2 yeas and after each class I was quite tired and I felt like I was burning lot of calories. But when I practice yoga, its more towards breathing and stretching but very slow movements., You think yoga really helps burning calories.?
LoraB
Posted 2004-04-09 9:30 AM (#5250 - in reply to #4060)

Any kind of physical activity burns calories. Even sitting in front of the TV. It's a matter of how many. There are many charts available listing various activities vs. calories burned based on height and weight. Yes, you will be burning calories in yoga. Will it be enough to lose weight? Doubtful. That includes cardio activity (which helps with yoga and yoga helps with cardio), weight training, dietary changes (burn more calories than are consumed), etc. But yoga will help. So will gardening, going for a walk, even (shudder) cleaning your house. It boils down to a combination of the above factors. Of course, then factor in the varied types of yoga vs. their calories burned. Your yoga practice will help with centering, though, and help building some strength, and flexibility. If you run, the breathing exercises you do in yoga can help you focus your breath while you run which tends to improve stamina. So don't give up on yoga because you don't sweat - there are many factors at work.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)