YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1st Timer
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Elizabeth
Posted 2004-02-26 11:57 AM (#4111)
Subject: 1st Timer

I'm a yoga virgin and my chiropractor recommended I take yoga and gave me a flyer to a new yoga place in town and it happens to be a Bikram class. I was going to take my first class last night, but I chickened out. I'm supposed to try again on Friday. I have two concerns. I'm pretty stiff, 30 lbs overweight, I have slight hypertension and my lower back is killing me due to painting my house LAST SATURDAY. I'm afraid this class may aggravate my back more. I'm also afraid that I may get dizzy and pass out because of the humidity, not the heat in the class. I live in the upper desert already, so I'm used to the heat, but not 60% humidity. Am I crazy to even try this class? I've read all the posts and some of them have just terrified me. I think if I hadn't read this board before going to class, I probably would have gone. On the other hand, I'm glad I read about what to expect.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-02-26 12:46 PM (#4114 - in reply to #4111)
Subject: RE: 1st Timer

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm no expert but I would suggest that you at least let your lower back get back to normal first and it might be a good idea to check with your doctor first, if you have one that treats you for the hypertension. I don't think you are crazy for wanting to try and you can always walk out in the middle of the class if you have to. Or, maybe you could try some other type of yoga first, without the heat and humidity.

Best of luck to you.

Elizabeth
Posted 2004-02-26 12:52 PM (#4115 - in reply to #4114)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'd like my back to settle down first, but my husband is pushing me to start on Friday so that I can rest over the weekend. Hell with him. I just called the only other yoga place in town (Hatha) and their schedule will not work for me. I live in a somewhat small town. I'll see how I feel on Monday and start on a new week.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-02-26 1:10 PM (#4117 - in reply to #4111)

If you do try Bikram, be sure to talk to the instructor BEFORE your class and tell him or her about your concerns. They are usually very helpful and may even advise you to "sit out" certain postures. Remember that you should not feel any real "pain" when doing any of the postures although it is normal to feel some soreness. It's important to know the difference and listen to your own body. Yoga is such a peaceful, non-competetive, non-judgmental discipline. Dont' be afraid, just do what you can and you will be amazed at the progress you can make over time.

afroyogi
Posted 2004-02-26 3:13 PM (#4124 - in reply to #4111)

Hi Elizabeth
1. Of course the heat and humidity is a killer in the beginning but you WILL get used to it. After a few classes you'll probably love it and become addicted to bikram.
2. Don't be concerned about your stiffness and overweight, you WILL lose some pounds and become more flexible comes the time. Be sure that nobody will laugh at you, they all started with the same concerns that you have now. And they know. Also you're not supposed to look around in class but concentrate on yourself.
3. Of course a "normal" hatha class probably suites you better as a beginner. But bikram is better than not doing yoga at all ... and it has its benefits after all.
4. Nobody forces you to do all the 26 asanas right away at the first try. If you don't feel well just sit some poses out and join in again after a short break.
5. Very important is to hydrate well and don't eat for 3-4 hours before class. Also bring a bottle of water and some towels (one for sweat and one for the shower afterwards) and dress as lightly as possible (as if going to the beach on a hot day).
6. Take notice of your breathing. You'll probably feel the need to grasp for air - just let it be and concentrate on inhaling and exhaling deeple through the nostrils. You won't suffocate, it works better than you think. Trust me I've been there and hey, I'm still alive ... kind of ...
Lisa
Posted 2004-02-27 8:32 AM (#4134 - in reply to #4111)

Hi Elizabeth,

I am no expert. But I want to share my experience. I started doing a style of Hot Yoga (Bikram style without the 104 degree heat & 66% humidity) the tempature was raised to about 80 degrees. I loved it and found many benefits from doing the yoga. Then the class ended and I was doing a home practice faithfully 5 to 6 days a week. I tried a Bikram Studio about a month ago went 2 times and never went back. I hated the heat and I thought all that sweating was disgusting. You literally are drenched and dripping wet when you are in that room. The towel that you keep under you is soaked you can ring it out afterwards. People around you are sweating and the person standing next to me shook his head and his sweat hit me in the face. That was the final straw and I never went back. But that was my experience everyone is different and you may love that heat it definately did not work for me. I live on the east coast not used to that kind of heat and I realized I hate to sweat.
I continue to practice my Yoga at home and am still loving it.

Lots of Luck to You
Lisa
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-02-27 11:14 AM (#4140 - in reply to #4111)

Elizabeth,

Lisa is absolutely correct in her description of how much you sweat in a Bikram class. It's not for everyone so by all means, if you do not like to sweat, don't waste your time. If you aren't sure about all the sweating then maybe you could get used to it or even enjoy it. I happen to love to sweat like that - I find it to be very purifying.

Posted 2004-02-27 11:27 AM (#4143 - in reply to #4140)

What shocked me and is personal testimony to KA's comment, when I work around home in the San Antonio heat, the sweat stings my eyes. At Bikram, not a bit of discomfort and I don't even towel off anymore--the sweat is just like water.

Kathy Ann - 2004-02-27 10:14 AM

Elizabeth,

Lisa is absolutely correct in her description of how much you sweat in a Bikram class. It's not for everyone so by all means, if you do not like to sweat, don't waste your time. If you aren't sure about all the sweating then maybe you could get used to it or even enjoy it. I happen to love to sweat like that - I find it to be very purifying.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-02-27 5:06 PM (#4153 - in reply to #4111)

Exactly Bruce, sweating in a bikram class is different from normal sweating. You're sweating on purpose, you don't wear much clothes to drench and you know that there's a shower just waiting for you afterwards. So it's no big deal really.
Normally you'd expect a group of 30-40 heavy sweating people to stink like a cage full with pumas. But at least our local studio has a very sophisticated clima control. No smelling, no mould, everything very clean indeed.

Posted 2004-02-27 9:17 PM (#4160 - in reply to #4153)

But VERY slippery! Getting into triangle is like being on ice cause I'm so wet. Tried some modifications like turing a towel sideways--wooHOO did I catch hell from Carol.

afroyogi - 2004-02-27 4:06 PM

Exactly Bruce, sweating in a bikram class is different from normal sweating. You're sweating on purpose, you don't wear much clothes to drench and you know that there's a shower just waiting for you afterwards. So it's no big deal really.
Normally you'd expect a group of 30-40 heavy sweating people to stink like a cage full with pumas. But at least our local studio has a very sophisticated clima control. No smelling, no mould, everything very clean indeed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)