YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

varicose veins
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Sandy loam
Posted 2004-02-29 2:10 PM (#4188)
Subject: varicose veins

I have moderate varicose veins and have been doing yoga for 4 months. Are there any positions I should avoid? We do the sukhasana position for about 20min at the beginning of the class will this position make my varicose veins worse?
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-01 9:22 PM (#4227 - in reply to #4188)
Subject: RE: varicose veins

I already responded to your intial, now-duplicate post of February 15th here: http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16664&posts=1.

If you would care to read it, you might find some of the information helpful.

If you seldom visit the boards, use the search function in the upper right corner to find any questions you might have already posted rather than reposting them. I located your last post by searching under "varicose veins."

Christine
Sandy loam
Posted 2004-03-02 3:56 PM (#4252 - in reply to #4188)

Christine, I did indeed read your reply and thank you for the info. I guess you didn't notice that this question is not a duplicate but a more detailed question regarding all the hatha positions. I posted this question in the hatha category because I am doing hatha yoga and I realized that I was not doing the lotus position but the sukhasana. I am not sure if the sukhasana is detrimental to varicose veins and I would also like any info regarding which if any hatha yoga positions I should avoid or modify. If you would like to share any of your knowledge or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Namaste
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-02 9:01 PM (#4265 - in reply to #4188)

Hatha yoga is the umbrella under which all yoga traditions, styles and families fall. Generally if someone is teaching "hatha" yoga, either they have no idea what they're teaching, or they've got so much experience that the different traditions they've studied kind of meld into their own yoga.

You're actually asking the same question with the same answer. As I told you in the previous post, you haven't discussed the type of varicose veins you have. Are they spider, or deep rope-y viens? Are they behind your knees, down your calves or up in your thighs?

Essentially, no, sitting Indian style (sukhasana) will not make veins worse. There is a tourniquet effect that can actually be good for minor varicose veins, but is contraindicated for the really serious ones. If your feet are falling asleep, you need to inner spiral or inner rotate your thighs more, pull your bottom out from underneath you, and sit tall. Sit on a blanket so your ankles aren't pressing into the floor. Don't be shy about changing your feet until your body is used to this.

So without the information I indicated in your first post, which really is the same in content if not words, probably not but maybe.

What makes you think this asana would be bad for your veins?

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)