YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Big Mistake
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Balen
Posted 2004-03-01 9:47 AM (#4210)
Subject: Big Mistake

Started a new Hotter Hot Yoga class

Due to an insane work schedule I have the option of that only on Sunday morning. I wake up about 6 am shower do all that morning stuff then get ready for the yoga class at 9:30. Not wanting to go there on a full stomach I don't eat anything. Just drink water. Then the class begins I quickly have no energy then to my despair and Yoga Danncers foreshadowing my competitive side comes out when I see myself looking like a fool. I muscle up grin and bear it. I finished the class very flexible but with no balance and very tired at the end. Don’t want to look that bad again.

What should I do? In eating before

How soon
Carbs?
Protein?
Lite?
etc......

Help me
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-03-01 9:55 AM (#4213 - in reply to #4210)
Subject: RE: Big Mistake

Been there bud. Don't recommend eating before that 0930 class--maybe some juice and water. Just take it easier in class. Keep the breathing even--if it gets labored, you're pushing too hard. Take a break and get you're breath. That's what did it for me.
Balen - 2004-03-01 8:47 AM

Started a new Hotter Hot Yoga class

Due to an insane work schedule I have the option of that only on Sunday morning. I wake up about 6 am shower do all that morning stuff then get ready for the yoga class at 9:30. Not wanting to go there on a full stomach I don't eat anything. Just drink water. Then the class begins I quickly have no energy then to my despair and Yoga Danncers foreshadowing my competitive side comes out when I see myself looking like a fool. I muscle up grin and bear it. I finished the class very flexible but with no balance and very tired at the end. Don’t want to look that bad again.

What should I do? In eating before

How soon
Carbs?
Protein?
Lite?
etc......

Help me
Balen
Posted 2004-03-01 10:07 AM (#4214 - in reply to #4210)

I did love the sweat and the after high but no energy durning sucks.... Then wired hyper for the rest of the day.
beachgirl
Posted 2004-03-04 12:59 PM (#4305 - in reply to #4210)

try some fruit or juice before class, will give you energy
don't push yourself too hard, that's the best way to injure yourself. yoga is not competitive.
know your limits and work with them.
miss dee
Posted 2004-03-10 12:48 PM (#4375 - in reply to #4210)

I think you MUST have sone food before morning Bikram classes. Remember, you have been fasting all night and the body needs a little fuel.
I recommend a banana or some dry toast and maybe a less-acidic juice. (apple)
Also remember, morning yoga is different than PM yoga. just go with the flow and enjoy 'feeling' your body experience the yoga closer to the surface. PM yoga is so covered up with the days "stuff" we tend to have less pateince with what the body requires.

Keep on Sweatin'
Dee
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-13 4:29 PM (#4444 - in reply to #4210)

For God's Sake, Balen, GET OVER IT.

The only one who cares what you look like in yoga class is YOU. Everyone else is too busy feeling friggin' miserable to worry about your sorry butt. With whom are you competing? If it's someone else, it's not a competition unless they know about it. If it's with yourself and some misplaced "personal best," you'll always come up short. When we compete with ourselves we always lose. Just as you have been, right? Or you wouldn't write it here.

Story:
My father once asked my sister while she was tugging and primping, unhappy with her looks: "Why are you so conceited!?"

Shocked, since that's one of the worst things you can call a teenage girl, she proclaimed, "I am NOT conceited! Why would you call me that?"

He responded, "If you're not conceited, why do you think everyone's looking at you?"

So if the shoe fits....

Now the scold is over.

However, you cannot start hydrating an hour before class and expect it to have any effect. Start the night before. Drink small, steady amounts rather than chugging something. 8 oz at a time every 2 hours or so. At first you'll tinkle like crazy, but once your tissues are saturated, you'll be able to retain more. If you do this all week, it wouldn't be an issue on Sunday.

The whole idea of not eating before yoga is actually because asana is supposed to be a purification for the body to prepare for meditation, which one should best do on an empty stomach so you don't fall asleep and pie on your face. A side effect is it's difficult to twist or go upside down if you've chowed down.

That said, I have been known to eat a HUGE plate of penné pasta with sausage, fried calamari, gellatto, and a nice latte, then go back into a 3 hour handstand workshop without side effect.

Eat. Eat something lite that won't repeat. Orange juice with its acid is a really bad choice. Rye toast is good. Almonds are an ayurvedically perfect food, as are eggs. Add in your sports drink with electrolytes this hour before class.

You can't expect to lose so much fluid and not suffer mild to severe electrolyte imbalances (severity depends upon your intake the day before). You must also remember that in the morning it's not 2 hours that you're not eating, but the 8 hours before while you were asleep, too. So if you did get 8 hours, that's TEN you haven't had any food. Talk about a low blood sugar crash waiting to happen.

Yoga isn't supposed to make you sick, hurt, or be some nutty competition where you always feel like a loser. Keep in mind the only "wrong" in yoga is doing something that can cause injury. This hoo-ha about not eating and then not hydrating properly (I won't go into the lack of sense external heat and yoga is), you're setting yourself up for a big WRONG.

I know you have sense, Balen. Trust your not-yet-upset stomach and apply some of that sense to your activity. You might find you enjoy your yoga a whole lot more.

I want to hear you're hyrdrating today and what you eat for breakfast tomorrow.
Don't make me find you...

Christine

Posted 2004-03-13 4:50 PM (#4446 - in reply to #4444)

Good grief! I apologized in another thread for being a smart ass and Yogi Christine went balistic on poor ole Balen...I think "yoga demeanor" is the 21st century moniker for "deranged hun."

However Balen, you know our Guruette Christine is right and I humbly take her scoldings and get better from them...well, usually humbly....

YogaDancer - 2004-03-13 3:29 PM

For God's Sake, Balen, GET OVER IT.

The only one who cares what you look like in yoga class is YOU. Everyone else is too busy feeling friggin' miserable to worry about your sorry butt. With whom are you competing? If it's someone else, it's not a competition unless they know about it. If it's with yourself and some misplaced "personal best," you'll always come up short. When we compete with ourselves we always lose. Just as you have been, right? Or you wouldn't write it here.

Story:
My father once asked my sister while she was tugging and primping, unhappy with her looks: "Why are you so conceited!?"

Shocked, since that's one of the worst things you can call a teenage girl, she proclaimed, "I am NOT conceited! Why would you call me that?"

He responded, "If you're not conceited, why do you think everyone's looking at you?"

So if the shoe fits....

Now the scold is over.

However, you cannot start hydrating an hour before class and expect it to have any effect. Start the night before. Drink small, steady amounts rather than chugging something. 8 oz at a time every 2 hours or so. At first you'll tinkle like crazy, but once your tissues are saturated, you'll be able to retain more. If you do this all week, it wouldn't be an issue on Sunday.

The whole idea of not eating before yoga is actually because asana is supposed to be a purification for the body to prepare for meditation, which one should best do on an empty stomach so you don't fall asleep and pie on your face. A side effect is it's difficult to twist or go upside down if you've chowed down.

That said, I have been known to eat a HUGE plate of penné pasta with sausage, fried calamari, gellatto, and a nice latte, then go back into a 3 hour handstand workshop without side effect.

Eat. Eat something lite that won't repeat. Orange juice with its acid is a really bad choice. Rye toast is good. Almonds are an ayurvedically perfect food, as are eggs. Add in your sports drink with electrolytes this hour before class.

You can't expect to lose so much fluid and not suffer mild to severe electrolyte imbalances (severity depends upon your intake the day before). You must also remember that in the morning it's not 2 hours that you're not eating, but the 8 hours before while you were asleep, too. So if you did get 8 hours, that's TEN you haven't had any food. Talk about a low blood sugar crash waiting to happen.

Yoga isn't supposed to make you sick, hurt, or be some nutty competition where you always feel like a loser. Keep in mind the only "wrong" in yoga is doing something that can cause injury. This hoo-ha about not eating and then not hydrating properly (I won't go into the lack of sense external heat and yoga is), you're setting yourself up for a big WRONG.

I know you have sense, Balen. Trust your not-yet-upset stomach and apply some of that sense to your activity. You might find you enjoy your yoga a whole lot more.

Christine
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-13 5:25 PM (#4447 - in reply to #4210)

Bruce,
you know I mean these rants with utmost love. I'm thinking Balen does, too.

I wouldn't waste my time on you guys if I didn't think you were worth it.

I'd just ignore you.......

Besides .... Is what I'm saying true? It's hard to argue with the truth, although there are many ways to say it and read it.

Off to nap. (No smart comments about me needing one, now, I hear you!)

Christine

Posted 2004-03-13 5:58 PM (#4450 - in reply to #4447)

Of course I know that and wanted to fun ya a bit--when you scribe a thought, I take it as the word-up and cling to it as the font of knowledge and log it into my brain's ever-expanding yoga knowledge directory (quickly replacing my Harley one)--I wanna nap too--practice beat me into parade rest today!

YogaDancer - 2004-03-13 4:25 PM

Bruce,
you know I mean these rants with utmost love. I'm thinking Balen does, too.

I wouldn't waste my time on you guys if I didn't think you were worth it.

I'd just ignore you.......

Besides .... Is what I'm saying true? It's hard to argue with the truth, although there are many ways to say it and read it.

Off to nap. (No smart comments about me needing one, now, I hear you!)

Christine
Balen
Posted 2004-03-17 3:43 PM (#4545 - in reply to #4444)

YogaDancer - 2004-03-13 4:29 PM

Christine

...../em Grins from ear to ear as a idea pops into mind
afroyogi
Posted 2004-03-18 4:36 PM (#4598 - in reply to #4210)

> my brain's ever-expanding yoga knowledge directory (quickly replacing my Harley one)

Really Bruce? That's a shame! If you would replace your Harley directory with a "real bikes" one that would be much better!

Just kiddin', ya know I love the "hardly rideables" too and am just jealous. But in the moment I am more fond of my recently ongoing Yammi XS project. It's a hardtail so in the future I'll probably need much more yoga for my back pain once that beast is on the road ............ OUCH!

Posted 2004-03-18 6:28 PM (#4612 - in reply to #4598)

Oh no you didn't say that about Harleys not being real bikes--luckily I'm just so loaded with yoga peace that I'm unaffected and will not retaliate like I would have pre-yoga. Then I might have said something like--"Such wit from a fellow coming from a country whose only value was to inspire Paul Simon to record "Graceland," but I won't say that now.

afroyogi - 2004-03-18 3:36 PM

> my brain's ever-expanding yoga knowledge directory (quickly replacing my Harley one)

Really Bruce? That's a shame! If you would replace your Harley directory with a "real bikes" one that would be much better!

Just kiddin', ya know I love the "hardly rideables" too and am just jealous. But in the moment I am more fond of my recently ongoing Yammi XS project. It's a hardtail so in the future I'll probably need much more yoga for my back pain once that beast is on the road ............ OUCH!

afroyogi
Posted 2004-03-19 1:28 PM (#4646 - in reply to #4210)

Bruce, I told ya I'm just kidding and am actually jealous bout the Harley riders. Also I'm not FROM that country but only recently moved here. Originally I'm from a country that inspired much more people to do much more strange things than just writing songs...
BTW back in Germany I had a '87 softail but only for a short while. Then we moved to SA and ran out of money. So now I'm back in the "beginner's class"

Posted 2004-03-20 4:43 PM (#4691 - in reply to #4646)

I know bud--right back at ya regarding the kidding. Your Yamabahma XS? THe 750 or 850? I had a 750 triple in England--what a sweet ride--wish I could have ssneaked it back to the states...absolutely trouble free.
[
QUOTE]afroyogi - 2004-03-19 12:28 PM

Bruce, I told ya I'm just kidding and am actually jealous bout the Harley riders. Also I'm not FROM that country but only recently moved here. Originally I'm from a country that inspired much more people to do much more strange things than just writing songs...
BTW back in Germany I had a '87 softail but only for a short while. Then we moved to SA and ran out of money. So now I'm back in the "beginner's class"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)