YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Want to get started
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

sofi
Posted 2004-03-04 8:38 PM (#4326)
Subject: Want to get started

I am thinking about starting Bikram classes, but the posts I've read about nausea are scaring me. I am pretty out of shape - haven't worked out consistently in a little over a year. Should I start with some other type of yoga before attempting Bikram? I've never taken a yoga class before. Oh, yeah...I'm maybe just a tad overweight, too (5-6, 155 lbs). Also, can anyone recommend a yoga studio in Chicago - Lakeview or Lincoln Park area? Grateful for any advice!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-04 10:01 PM (#4330 - in reply to #4326)
Subject: RE: Want to get started (long)

Sofi,

I hope I can make you feel a little easier about starting Bikram. Please don't let the nausea talk scare you. I'm 5'5, 200 pounds (yikes) and I've known for a while I needed to start some type of exercise program. I also know that work related stress made me not want to do anything except eat and crawl into bed. I had read about Bikram online and it looked as if it could help me with the stress and later on down the line help me with my weight. www.bikramyoga.com has listings of all certified Bikram instructors in Chicago.

I just completed my first week (went 3 times) and I won't lie to you, it was the hardest yoga class I've ever taken (I had taken yoga classes 10+ years ago). Because I had read about Bikram online, I had made a few decisions about how I would approach going to my first class (please know this is what worked for me, you should let your intuition be your guide).

Three days before my first class, I stopped drinking Cokes (my drug of choice) due to the caffeine and started drinking a lot of water (Caffeine is dehydrating). Bikram articles said do not eat for 3-4 hours before class so I skipped breakfast and took an early class on a Saturday morning (I called the local Bikram yoga center and told them I was a first timer and asked what was the best class and they told me about the morning class). If you want something to eat before class, it should be something watery like fruit.

I then went to the local Sports Authority and purchased a tank top and bike short that allowed air to pass through when I started sweating (I think it's called "coolmax fabric"). I knew I needed the right material if this was going to work for me.

The morning of my first class, I arrived early and sat in the "transition" room for 10 minutes so my body could adjust to the increase in heat (the transition room is a room right outside of the heated studio that is cooler than the studio but not room tempeture).
After that, I went in and laid down until class. I did not have any nausea and did not feel light-headed but I did get tired around the middle of class and had to sit out a few poses.

I'd like to stress here that when you go to your first class, you should work at your own pace. The first time you're going to be sore because it's difficult to tell your true flexibility when the room is so warm.You probably won't want to go back after that but please try to commit to at least one week.
If it helps, this was my thought pattern the first week:
1st class: "This is too hard, I don't think I'm coming back,I'm too sore and I have a headache".
2nd class: "Do I really want to do this again? My lower back is hurting but I feel kinda good afterward.I'll ask the instructor for lower back suggestions"
3rd class: "The lower back suggestions worked, no headache and I made it through class without taking a break and I still feel pretty good. This isn't so bad after all. I want to see how far I can go with this"

I know this is long but I just wanted you to know starting this practice isn't easy but if you stick it out the first week, you'll have a better idea if this type of workout is for you. I hope this gives you some encouragement. Good luck!!
sofi
Posted 2004-03-04 10:21 PM (#4331 - in reply to #4330)
Subject: RE: Want to get started (long)

Hey Tibard,

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. And thanks also for the caffeine tip...I'll have to get off the coffee. I guess I will give the Bikram class a try and see how it goes. You mention you've been taking classes for more than 10 years...is it OK to start Bikram classes if I've never taken another yoga class?

Thanks again for your help...I really appreciate the guidance.
Tibard
Posted 2004-03-04 10:30 PM (#4332 - in reply to #4326)
Subject: RE: Want to get started

I'm sorry, I meant I had taken yoga classes 10 years ago. I don't have 10 years of yoga experience. I think as long as you go at your own pace in Bikram class, you'll be fine. Everything I've read says Bikram yoga classes are for beginners through advanced(one class, no waiting).
Let us know how you do and if it doesn't work, I'm sure you'll find another form of yoga you'll like.

Have fun!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)